Hi peeps,
Newbie here and hoping someone can give me some advice. Ive been playing acoustic for 4 or 5 years and my last guitar which was a Dean Daytona E smashed horrifically a few days ago so Im guitarless
Im looking to buy a cheap 2nd hand one (until ive got money to buy a new one) and have been looking on ebay & gumtree etc
One caught my eye, its a Vintage V300 which has good reviews on the net however this particular guitar has some cosmetic damage which Im unsure would affect the sound of the guitar. The guy is looking for £35 for it so im wondering if the damage would make it not worth it and also whether these are good guitars in general in your opinion. the pics in the listing show the damage so if anyone could be kind enough to have a look for me and see what you think

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-V300-Acoustic-Guitar-6-String-/181654952512?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated as im not very knowledgeable on acoustic guitars and I know you guys have a wealth of information. Or any other cheapish acoustics I could look for?
Thanks
Smithy
Hey,

Vintage 300 is an excellent choice, I have expensive, mid ranged and two cheap guitars, one being the Vintage 300. It punches well above its weight and is by far the best value guitar I own.

Personally I would steer clear of the one you had a link too. There is no way of knowing whether that damage will be causing a buzz or some other nasty noise, it certainly could be. It may only be £35 but if it doesn't paly well, it will definitely put you off playing.

good luck
Quote by Limeydog
Hey,

Vintage 300 is an excellent choice, I have expensive, mid ranged and two cheap guitars, one being the Vintage 300. It punches well above its weight and is by far the best value guitar I own.

Personally I would steer clear of the one you had a link too. There is no way of knowing whether that damage will be causing a buzz or some other nasty noise, it certainly could be. It may only be £35 but if it doesn't paly well, it will definitely put you off playing.

good luck

Thanks amigo
Would I notice straight away if something was up - what exactly should I be looking for if I get the chance to play it first??
if you're inexperienced with guitar problems, you probably wouldn't notice at all - and some problems develop over time. the guitar you linked to looks like it may have a crack in the back, and if it is a crack in the wood rather than the finish, it could spread over the weeks and months. having a luthier stabilize it would cost money, and not stabilizing it could mean that eventually or not so eventually the guitar will die.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
I asked the seller about this and he replied
"Hi,The worst damage is in the second last image but it doesn't affect how the guitar sounds, it still plays great and if I had the room I would probably keep it.The back of the guitar is fine, there are light scratches on the laminate but they are only visible in bright light and nothing like the others pictured. No worries at all for the questions.Hi,The worst damage is in the second last image but it doesn't affect how the guitar sounds, it still plays great and if I had the room I would probably keep it.The back of the guitar is fine, there are light scratches on the laminate but they are only visible in bright light and nothing like the others pictured. No worries at all for the questions"

This makes me think it should be okay? What do you guys think
I would think so. The seller has a 100% feedback rating and seems forthcoming. I'm not rich but I don't live paycheck to paycheck either so if I bought a lemon for 35#, it would suck but it wouldn't break me. I don't like telling anyone how to spend their money but this looks like a good buy to me if you can get it for that price. However there is risk involved when you buy used gear. I've came out on the good end and the bad end a few times, nothing real bad though.
you're counting on the seller to know what he's talking about. my experience is that most people don't know anything about guitars.

on the other hand, for the price, does it matter if it has problems some time down the road?
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Yeah I was assuming that the seller was also a guitar player and "should" know something about guitars, but you know what happens when you assume. LOL
What bout a vintage V400 - are they any good? Can pick up a 2nd hand one for £50-£60?
Any thoughts guys?