I consider changing my home setup drastically. I own a Blackstar HT-5R Combo and a Boss BR800 which I use regularly. However I'm considering to replace them by an Irig HD or Apogee Jam 96k (or something similar) and the use of my laptop and headphones (or speakers ). You probably wonder why in the world I would get rid of gear like that. You are totally right but let me try to explain it.

I bought Blackstar for home use and the likelihood of me joining a band. However, because of permanent physical problems / health issues (pain(killers) every day, I can not stand long, etc.) it's not likely that I will join a band soon and that I will keep living with my parents for a while. Although I can use the clean channel (although I'm more of a Fender clean guy) at a decent volume in my bedroom, the overdrive channel gets too loud rather quickly, certainly at late hours. Therefor I'm not using the amp to it's full potential and it's not my ideal amplifier anyways. Of course there is the headphone connection but it does effect the sound in a negative way.

The Boss BR800 is a great device too and I've used it basically everyday. However, I did not use it at all for the purpose I bought it for: I bought it with the intention of creating songs, writing riffs, et cetera but I ended up using mainly the basic functions (metronome, a-b function to repeat parts of a song). I really used it for training purposes so to speak. Because of the basic functions I used, I ended up using my laptop instead of the Boss lately.

An Apogee Jam 96k or Irig HD combined with my laptop might do the job for me now because it easily takes over the functions I currently use of my other gear. As said, for the near future I will see myself as a bedroom/home guitarist. However, I'm super excited to play a lot and try to become as good as possible. One of the things I will do (to replace the fact I'm not in a band and it's just super fun anyway) is making videos with improvisations over backing tracks, covering songs, et cetera. With that purpose in mind an AJ96k or Irig HD might be a better choice because combining the audio with the video is easier compared to the Boss BR800. It's also way easier to get different sounds because it's easier to change settings with pedals in a DAW than changing settings on the Boss with a spinning wheel.

All in all I think an AJ96K or Irig HD will be good enough for me now, making me currently overpowered when it comes down to gear.

Thoughts? Do you suggest the AJ96K or the Irig HD, or something else? Do you prefer the AJ96K because of the 96K? Or do you suggest to keep my stuff?

I would love to hear your opinions!
Last edited by GuitarL91 at Jan 31, 2015,
Quote by GuitarL91
You probably wonder why in the world I would get rid of gear like that.
'cause it doesn't sound good?
Just my take on the matter though.
Quote by GuitarL91
the overdrive channel gets too loud rather quickly, certainly at late hours. Therefor I'm not using the amp to it's full potential and it's not my ideal amplifier anyways.
No such thing as using "the full potential" of an amp - stuff don't sounds better 'cause the volume is turned all the way clockwise, stuff sounds better 'cause it's louder in general, and that applies to big and small amps.

First of all our brain (mostly because of perception matters) likes louder stuff, then there's the fact that guitar speakers are heavy and difficult to move and they create distortion when ran at relatively low volumes.

A smaller amp though won't by any means sound better than a bigger amp at lower volumes just because it's smaller.
Quote by GuitarL91
Thoughts? Do you suggest the AJ96K or the Irig HD, or something else? Do you prefer the AJ96K because of the 96K?
The jam will sound better.
Also there's no reason why you would get a jam96k over a jam considering the price difference - in that setting you're not gonna hear any difference.

If you have money to throw around definitely get the jam, though if it's only for recording a direct signal from an electric guitar you might as well save yourself some money and get an unbranded guitar link.

Also the bigger part of the sound you'll be getting will be coming form the software you'll be using, so get a good amp sim - not guitar rig, not amplitube, not bias, not GTR...
The LePou stuff is good (and free), the softube amp rooms are good, and scuffham s gear is good.

Also go in the recording section of this forum and read the "introduction to recording" and "amp sims" stickies.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Thanks for the response Spambot_2. I probably choose my words badly with "not using the amp to it's full potential".

It's not for recording purposes only; I expect to use the software as an amp way more often than for recording. But I do want to have some high quality audio when I record. You also brought up an interesting point about the software; it's going to make a massive difference.

The question if the difference between the Jam and Jam 96k is noticeable was on my mind too; I was about to dive into some research. I do know that 96k files will be way larger.

I'm just thinking about this whole thing because I'm currently thinking that software and a Jam for example will fulfil my needs and takes over the function of the amp and Boss quite well. And it does save my some money because I can sell the Boss and the Blackstar quite well!

Thanks again!
Last edited by GuitarL91 at Jan 31, 2015,
I can't speak for your choice of amplifier/ lack thereof; it seems like you've thought this through some and from your description it sounds like a good option. Regardless of that aspect, I would strongly recommend a good DAW over the Boss BR-800. I used a BR-900 for a good while and ever the most basic recording software will be a significant improvement as far as the ease of use is concerned. Also, I found the onboard COSM sounds to be largely undesirable.
Quote by ElMaco
My last pay check was £0 working 0 hours. I can't believe how easy it was
Quote by GuitarL91
The question if the difference between the Jam and Jam 96k is noticeable was on my mind too; I was about to dive into some research. I do know that 96k files will be way larger.
The only reason why you would record 96kHz audio over 48kHz audio would be to avoid aliasing (distortion caused by trying to record a frequency higher than half the sampling frequency), but a guitar won't produce these frequencies.

Also yeah, 96kHz audio will be twice as heavy as 48kHz audio, everything else being equal.
Quote by GuitarL91
I'm just thinking about this whole thing because I'm currently thinking that software and a Jam for example will fulfil my needs and takes over the function of the amp and Boss quite well.
I would go for it.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Minderbinder
I can't speak for your choice of amplifier/ lack thereof; it seems like you've thought this through some and from your description it sounds like a good option. Regardless of that aspect, I would strongly recommend a good DAW over the Boss BR-800. I used a BR-900 for a good while and ever the most basic recording software will be a significant improvement as far as the ease of use is concerned. Also, I found the onboard COSM sounds to be largely undesirable.

Agreed! I did use my Boss as an audio interface for some recordings, recording it in audacity for example. But as far as I am concerned it's way easier with the a Jam 96k or something .
Quote by Spambot_2
The only reason why you would record 96kHz audio over 48kHz audio would be to avoid aliasing (distortion caused by trying to record a frequency higher than half the sampling frequency), but a guitar won't produce these frequencies.

Also yeah, 96kHz audio will be twice as heavy as 48kHz audio, everything else being equal.
I would go for it.

Yeah you are right about the kHz. But the Jam 96K did improve some other stuff comparing to the Jam. They pretend they can emulate a warmer tube tone better and the circuit design is updated. If that is worth the extra money is not something I know right now, I have to dive into that. Thanks again!
Last edited by GuitarL91 at Feb 1, 2015,
Quote by Spambot_2

I would go for it.

Keep in mind you are able to record in 48kHz as well with the 96K
Take a look at Peavey Revalver. Easy intuitive setup and you can purchase only what you want or packs. Every Peavey amp as well as select Marshall, Fender, Vox, Orange, Deizel, Engl, Mesa, etc. You can also change guitar input sounds (make your Humbucker sound like a strat neck) and a decent selection of pedals and effects.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by metalmingee
Take a look at Peavey Revalver. Easy intuitive setup and you can purchase only what you want or packs. Every Peavey amp as well as select Marshall, Fender, Vox, Orange, Deizel, Engl, Mesa, etc. You can also change guitar input sounds (make your Humbucker sound like a strat neck) and a decent selection of pedals and effects.

Thanks, I will check it out!
Quote by GuitarL91
Yeah you are right about the kHz. But the Jam 96K did improve some other stuff comparing to the Jam.
Marketing spiel.
Amp emulation comes from software, not circuitry in the interface, and the interface will not give you a sound regarded as more analog or more natural or more tube-like.

You really don't need one of these.
Quote by GuitarL91
Keep in mind you are able to record in 48kHz as well with the 96K
Though recording at 96kHz would be pointless in your situation.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Last edited by Spambot_2 at Feb 1, 2015,
Quote by Spambot_2
Marketing spiel.
Amp emulation comes from software, not circuitry in the interface, and the interface will not give you a sound regarded as more analog or more natural or more tube-like.

You really don't need one of these.
Though recording at 96kHz would be pointless in your situation.

That way the normal Jam will do the job as well. I still have to find out if there is a difference in noise. Thanks again.
I think I pulled the trigger! I will go for the Apogee Jam. For home use the 96K doesn't offer any practical extras and the Jam delivers enough quality! I also considered a Yamaha THR which is both an amp and interface. However, I realised my dad still has a Vox VT20+ that he doesn't use (he uses his THR). So if I need an amp I can always fall back on the Vox. So it will be an Apogee Jam with having a Vox VT20+ as back up.

Thanks for the help.
Last edited by GuitarL91 at Feb 4, 2015,
I can get the Jam for €79 or the Jam 96K for €90 as a B-stock but with full warranty et cetera! Pay the €11 more?
it's not really a decision other people can help with.

they're both great products, they work identically apart from one pretty clear differential. If that benefit is worth €11 to you then go for it. I have the Jam and it meets my needs perfectly.
Last edited by jecooper86 at Feb 12, 2015,
Not sure about iris but I've had toneport and line 6 mobile in,they all work well but for my Mac I am absolutely loving the apogee jam,real easy to use and can't wait to do all the different tones from GarageBand.