I use EH Metal Muff connected to ENGL Gigmaster 30 tube head. Both input and master pots are set to 11 clock on the amp head. With these settings, a very little turn (mean 1-2 mm or so) on the Metal Muff volume gives a huge volume boost. Sound is OK but I would like to have a really adjustable volume output settings. How do I do that? I thought of these:

- put a volume pot or pedal after Metal Muff's output
- change preamp tubes in the amp head (ECC83 to ECC82 with lower output)

I wonder what would be the best solution which do not change sound but volume only. Please advice!
ditch the muff and get an overdrive would be my solution lol.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
??? turn the amp down?

or get something like this:
http://vickaudio.distinctiveturnings.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=67&product_id=66

but if you are running your amp full out, anything you try is going to be like that. theres probably only a few pedals i can think of that lower output...

or this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0Iydq7hs4A

paul gilbert uses it that way. but this does nothing to fix the knob sensitivity on your muff. i dont think there is a solution there but to lower volume / output of the amp. the WAY you are running the amp is the problem not the pedals.

my personal suggestion would be an attenuator, something like the eminence FDM speakers that attentuate down roughly 7-9 DB, or get that vick audio thing cause its about 30 bucks.

you seem to want to run your amp full out for tone / response, but them are trying to not make it ear bleedingly loud. this is teh classic case for atentuation. every drive pedal you buy will have the same issue.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
ikey, many thanks for your quick and effective help & advices! I use 11 o'clock settings for input and master knobs on this ENGL because the amp starts to live with these or higher settings, according to my ears. By the way, manufacturer also recommends 11o'clock setting for the input on the clean channel. So I do not think these are too extreme settings for the amp. Yes, I would like to have similar tone when playing at low volume such as for practice in a room. I know that Metal Muff has a high sensitivity, also for the EQ section on it, but I like this pedal and would not like to discard from it.

I will probably go for the VicAudio or make a passive attenuator and connect it between pedal output and amp input. Many thanks!!
can't you just set the MM to unity with the amp? by this i mean set your amp the way you like it. the start the MM volume control at 0 and then move it up until the on volume of the pedal matches (or just above) the volume of the amp when the pedal is off. you may have to readjust your other settings on the MM to get the tone you want but seems like that woud be the easy way to do it.
Quote by monwobobbo
can't you just set the MM to unity with the amp? by this i mean set your amp the way you like it. the start the MM volume control at 0 and then move it up until the on volume of the pedal matches (or just above) the volume of the amp when the pedal is off. you may have to readjust your other settings on the MM to get the tone you want but seems like that woud be the easy way to do it.

Thanks for your tip! Actually volume knob of the MM is set very near to zero. When I turn it by something like 2mm it boost at least 3dB... too much! If I turn down my amp settings I lost that tube OD sound I love so much. Anyway I use a Boss NS-2 in-between amp's FX loop... strangely if I connect the MM after the NS-2 in the loop chain the amp switchs off its tone knobs...
Quote by nordenfor
Thanks for your tip! Actually volume knob of the MM is set very near to zero. When I turn it by something like 2mm it boost at least 3dB... too much! If I turn down my amp settings I lost that tube OD sound I love so much. Anyway I use a Boss NS-2 in-between amp's FX loop... strangely if I connect the MM after the NS-2 in the loop chain the amp switchs off its tone knobs...

wait are you using the MM in the loop? if so then that could be your problem. what exactly are you using the MM for soundwise and could perhaps an overdrive do a better job for you
yeah if you're using the MM in the loop there's your problem. dirt pedals are meant to go into the front of the amp.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?