Just scored a Selmer Treble n Bass (been after something with a bit more headroom) but I'm in a bit of a conundrum in terms of what cab to pair it with.

I'm planning to use it mainly in a two man noisey screamo/post-metal band (think Loma Prieta and Cult of Luna) - I mostly playing in drop b/c and I'll be running a sub-octave into the bass channel, so cab wise I'm after something which can deliver that bass.

I think I'd prefer a 2x12 for easier transport to gigs and practice, but I assume this will also deliver less bass than a 4x12?

I'm happy to buy used, and I'm happy to buy unloaded (just recommend me speakers as well please).

Budget: around £200 preferably

I'm sort of attracted to the Jet City and Harley Benton (from Thomann) 2x12s, as they're supposedly great for the price, and I can swap out the speakers if needs be, but I haven't heard much about them in terms of the level of bass I'm trying to put through them. I've heard good things about Zilla cabs but they're pushing the top of my budget. Also what about a bass cab, would this work at all instead?

Thanks.
Quote by monwobobbo
yes a bass cab would work and may be better for what you are trying.

Thanks for confirming that, anything you'd recommend specifically?
Quote by monwobobbo
yes a bass cab would work and may be better for what you are trying.
I beg to differ - if you play guitar through a bass cab you won't sound like a bass much, nor like a guitar at all, and if you try and distort the signal passing through a bass speaker you'll get a pretty nasty sound.

No guitar speaker is able to reproduce frequencies as low as a B1, let alone a B0.

You might try to use a bass cab for the lower octave signal (to be left clean) and a guitar cab for the higher signal, though you'd need a stereo amp for that.
Or another amp.

In your budget, the only viable solution I see is getting a harley benton G212 vintage and being done with it.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
A bass cab/speaker will handle more low end than a guitar speaker, and maybe with the sub-octave it'll be good and bass heavy, but I play through a 4x12 loaded with bass speakers and it doesn't make it instantly bassier.

Maybe load a 2x12 with a bass speaker and a guitar speaker, and see if that has enough low end. Or get a 1x15, that might just sound like mud though.

In this situation you're ultimately limited by the amount low end your guitar can send to the amp, and the amount of low end the amp's output transformer can send to the speaker, more so than what the speaker can reproduce.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
Quote by Spambot_2
I beg to differ - if you play guitar through a bass cab you won't sound like a bass much, nor like a guitar at all, and if you try and distort the signal passing through a bass speaker you'll get a pretty nasty sound.

No guitar speaker is able to reproduce frequencies as low as a B1, let alone a B0.

You might try to use a bass cab for the lower octave signal (to be left clean) and a guitar cab for the higher signal, though you'd need a stereo amp for that.
Or another amp.

In your budget, the only viable solution I see is getting a harley benton G212 vintage and being done with it.

he asked if a bass cab would work with his guitar which it will. not saying that it will perfectly deliver what he wants but rather be a reasonable compromise. i agree that ideally he'd need 2 seperate cabs to get the highs and the ows he seems to want. billy sheehan does something like that with his bass.
Quote by Spambot_2

Or another amp.

Any particular reason bass speakers sound nasty with distortion? I'm surprised that there's that much difference (is it something to do with harmonics/overtones?) as there are plenty of bassists that play distorted.

The dual amp and cab setup would be optimum, but I think it'd be a pain in the arse to transport and set up - I think I'll leave that for the studio.

Quote by robertito696
Maybe load a 2x12 with a bass speaker and a guitar speaker, and see if that has enough low end. Or get a 1x15, that might just sound like mud though.

I think my mate has a 1x15 bass cab (or maybe it's a 2x10) I'll see if I can try it out either way. Currently I'm thinking my best bet is to pick up the harley benton G212 vintage, then maybe swap in a bass speaker if it's not doing it for me.

Anyone tried the Laney IRT212? Or will that be voiced too far into the modern metal realm for me?
Quote by monwobobbo
he asked if a bass cab would work with his guitar which it will.
Come on, that's like saying skydiving would work even without a parachute.
You would skydive for sure, and then you'll die.
Quote by doubtfulsalmon
Any particular reason bass speakers sound nasty with distortion? I'm surprised that there's that much difference (is it something to do with harmonics/overtones?) as there are plenty of bassists that play distorted.
Guitar speakers color the sound of the incoming material a lot - if you were to play a guitar through PA speakers it wouldn't sound like guitars sound usually.

Bass speakers color the sound a lot less and distorting a guitar signal creates a lot of harmonics that turn your signal into a fizzy mess if you don't tame them.

Bass speakers don't tame them, hence, they sound fizzy if you run a distorted guitar through them.

When distorted, basses don't don't get to these frequencies partly because they are distorted less and partly because bass amps don't amplify stuff that high usually.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I wouldn't get a cab with V30's for what TS wants, but with his budget that is about the best solution he has in Europe.

I would say a cab with Celestion K-100, Eminence Swamp Thang, EVM-12l, or any EVM clone would be a better solution.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The swamp thang seems like a really good shout, thanks.

Quote by Spambot_2
Guitar speakers color the sound of the incoming material a lot - if you were to play a guitar through PA speakers it wouldn't sound like guitars sound usually.

Bass speakers color the sound a lot less and distorting a guitar signal creates a lot of harmonics that turn your signal into a fizzy mess if you don't tame them.

Bass speakers don't tame them, hence, they sound fizzy if you run a distorted guitar through them.

When distorted, basses don't don't get to these frequencies partly because they are distorted less and partly because bass amps don't amplify stuff that high usually.

That makes sense now - for some reason I'd always assumed there was more colouration in a bass speaker, but now I think about it that's not really in line with my experience of them.

Actually just spotted a decent price on a second hand Laney IRT 2x12, is it worth jumping on it then considering a speaker swap?