I have the chance to grab an MIM strat for about $250, but I'd probably wanna replace pickups anyway. I already have a squier strat that I could just replace the pickups and tuners anyway, which would be the better idea? I'm trying to figure which would sound best and be the best value.
Not as straightforward as it seems. Some of the 90s Squires were pretty excellent guitars that needed no mods to be gig ready. Many MiM Fenders are also very good but I have played a few that weren't, and needed a lot of fine tuning to sweeten them up. Don't assume your pickups suck because most stock Fender pups are pretty good. I'd say fix what is not currently working and play it for a while before making other changes.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
I didn't get exactly what you are choosing between, but I have a few questions:

Why replace the tuners? In 99% of cases that's the most unnecessary mod you can possibly do. Even relatively cheap tuners hold tune relatively well, and there's a lot of things to put before tuners in upgrading a guitar. Tuning problems is mostly related to the nut.

What Squier exactly do you have? Do you want to upgrade from single-coils to humbuckers or what are the sounds you're after? Typically, Fender has pretty good stock-pickups. If it's a Bullet or Affinity, I wouldn't bother with it and instead go for a better guitar. The construction and fretwork typically isn't good enough to be worth 'upgrading' with fancy pickups or hardware. It's like putting chrome all over a Volvo 240.

The MIM Standards come with ceramic single coils that are awesome. Wouldn't trade them for anything. Hot and take distortion very well. If it's in good condition, go for it! Really good guitars and a solid platform for further upgrades.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
i'd get the MIM myself. it wil be a better guitar to start with and lets face it you'll end up looking to improve sooner or later regardless of which way you go. MIMs make a good modding platform and are solid guitars to begin with.
Quote by HomerSGR
I didn't get exactly what you are choosing between, but I have a few questions:

Why replace the tuners? In 99% of cases that's the most unnecessary mod you can possibly do. Even relatively cheap tuners hold tune relatively well, and there's a lot of things to put before tuners in upgrading a guitar. Tuning problems is mostly related to the nut.

What Squier exactly do you have? Do you want to upgrade from single-coils to humbuckers or what are the sounds you're after? Typically, Fender has pretty good stock-pickups. If it's a Bullet or Affinity, I wouldn't bother with it and instead go for a better guitar. The construction and fretwork typically isn't good enough to be worth 'upgrading' with fancy pickups or hardware. It's like putting chrome all over a Volvo 240.

The MIM Standards come with ceramic single coils that are awesome. Wouldn't trade them for anything. Hot and take distortion very well. If it's in good condition, go for it! Really good guitars and a solid platform for further upgrades.

It's choosing between improving on a squier strat I've had just chillin on a guitar stand the past 7 or 8 years and getting a used MiM off craigslist, which would be the better option.
I believe the Squier is an affinity or something similar. It came in a starter pack I got maybe 8 years ago. Tuners on the Squier at least do not hold very well. I already have a PRS SE custom with humbuckers, that's been my main guitar for years. I'd be looking to replace the squier pups with other single coils. So with what I'd be paying for pups and tuners on the squier, sounds like going for the MiM would probably be the better idea. Thanks!
Definitely MIM. I would not waste money putting nice hardware and electronics on a shit piece of wood like the squier affinity.
Who are you? The prince of darkness? Don't you have any friends?

+3.1415 to the MIM.

however i must say i have a squier from 2003ish and never had issues with the tuners or tuning stability once i decked it.

the MIM's are nice. pickups aren't bad, but they can be improved. i kept the stock pickups in my 95 or 96 (forgot what yaer atm) and they do what i like decent.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/