Hey all,

My wife and I use the same gauge on all our electric guitars so it makes sense to buy in bulk.

The problem is we like 10 52s but we need a wound G string and I've had a really hard time finding a pack like that. What we do is we buy a daddario xl pack and then separetly buy a 17 wound g string and replace it. But this is a waste of strings and money so I would LOVE to order this gauge set in bulk if anyone has any suggestions.

Thanks!
I know when I bought a pickup I didn't have to pay for shipping because I Long and McQuade order it in for me. So I don't know if that helps at all, but you could probably talk to some and McQuade's and have them order a bunch.
I don’t think D’Addario sells anything with a wound G in bulk. Try contacting Just Strings directly and see what they can do for you if you order 25 packs at once.
thanks

juststrings.com seems decent enough but I'll wait until the canadian dollar beefs up a bit before ordering.

I've browsed the site and haven't seen too many sets with the gauge I'm looking for, though.

Anyone know a good set that is roughly 10 46s with a wound g string close to .17?

Also what is the quality of the bulk bags that come in packs of 12? What would they compare to?

such as these
http://www.juststrings.com/jsb-018nw.html
Last edited by flexiblemile at Feb 2, 2015,
Quote by Will Lane
Just curious, why a wound G string?
inb4 12 year old snickering

Tuning stability, mostly. I'm not sure why but my wife and I had a lot of problem with that string going out of tune. I always figured it was cuz it was the thickest of the unwound strings.

Not a huge problem at home but we do a lot of high energy shows and it really kills the mood to have to stop and tune between songs.

With our "custom" packs, stability has improved drastically. Even to a point that the other strings seem to stay in tune also. I can't explain that part though, maybe it's placebo effect.

But nonetheless, friday we did our first show with the wound g string and neither of us had a problem with it. We tuned during the songs with a long drum and bass intro and in the middle of the set but it was just tiny adjustments.

If you have light strings and your G goes out of tune often, I really can't reccomend this method enough, it was night and day for us.

Thanks for the link, Danny
The tuner is borked. Replace them.

I buy all my strings on ebay.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
The tuner is borked. Replace them.

I buy all my strings on ebay.

... on all our guitars?

Anyways as I mentioned the problem resolved itself with the wound g string so now it's just a question of finding the best deal for bulk strings.

I'll check ebay though, thanks! At the moment the canadian dollar is pretty low so I'll try to avoid buying from the US if I can
I don't know what to tell you - all of my guitars stay in tune with an unwound G string. Sounds like dodgy tuners to me.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I think the root of the problem is that my house is 22, 23C with a normal humidity, outside is -25C with no humidity and the bar will start the evening at 19C with normal humidity and will finish the evening at 30C with a ton of humidity.

But anyways, the problem is gone now so I'm a happy camper, even if I have to pay a few bucks more for our strings while I find a good deal online.

I sent an email to the guys at juststrings and am waiting for a reply
D'Addario EXL110W - 10-46 with wound 3rd (.018)

Cant help you with places to buy inside of Canada but it's D'Addario ... someone within Canada has to sell them or should be able to get them.
I dunno, I've owned a crap ton of guitars and the ONLY string that ever seems to consistently go out of tune on all of them is the G string
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
MatrixClaw, I am by no means an expert but are you using a wound or unwound g string?

If you are using unwound, stop by a guitar store and get a similar gauge but wound. Come back to us to tell us if there's a difference.

Also what climate where you live?

Also, DG45, thanks for the suggestion, the guy from Juststrings just wrote me back reccomending the same pack. However I think I'll go with buying individual string in bulk so I can get the light top bottom heavy with a wound .17.
The best prices I've found are at

http://www.sweetwater.com/

They also have this cool thing of sending a small pack of candy with each order, shipping to US is free, I don't know if they ship to Canada though, maybe email them and see.

Temperature is always a problem for tuning, but that's the only problem I've had in a long time. But it makes everything change with my guitars, not just one string. The only time I've had that happen was when I screwed up changing strings and one went flat till it finally caught and had no trouble after that. I didn't get it tight enough when I started the first wrap, bad idea...

I cut mine about 1 1/2 inch past the tuner post, leave a little under 1/2 inch sticking out, that gives me about 2 wraps, and I've never had tuning problems since I started stringing that way 30 years ago. Just make sure you hold it tight for that first wrap and get a good corner before that first 1/2 wrap, that's what was slipping on mine, I only had a tiny bit sticking out the toner post hole when I found it.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Quote by flexiblemile

Also, DG45, thanks for the suggestion, the guy from Juststrings just wrote me back reccomending the same pack. However I think I'll go with buying individual string in bulk so I can get the light top bottom heavy with a wound .17.

Unfortunately, I don't think they offer a lt./heavy set with wound 3rd. You gotta go to 11's I think. So, sounds like buying individual wound G's is your best bet. I tried wound G's but never could bend the damned things and gave up trying. Plain G's staying in tune however, was never a problem.
Quote by Paleo Pete
The best prices I've found are at

http://www.sweetwater.com/

They also have this cool thing of sending a small pack of candy with each order, shipping to US is free, I don't know if they ship to Canada though, maybe email them and see.

AFAIK, Sweetwater ships worldwide.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
That's what I thought but wasn't sure. I've been ordering from Sweetewater for I guess a little over a year, no complaints at all.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...