Poll: Epiphone Texan or Yamaha FG700S?
Poll Options
View poll results: Epiphone Texan or Yamaha FG700S?
Epiphone Texan (inspired by 1964)
1 33%
Yamaha FG700S
2 67%
Voters: 3.
Hello,
I want to buy a new acoustic guitar and I thought about 2 different options, the first is Paul McCartney's inspired by 1964 Epiphone Texan and the second one is the Yamaha FG700S.
What do you think is better?

Thank you very much!
Yahlli
You're comparing apples to oranges here.

The Yamaha should be the FGX-700-SC, as that is the electric version of that particular guitar.

IMO, you can't make a direct comparison between pure acoustic and AE, since the electronics create an entirely different context of usage. Personally, I won't buy a guitar without the plug me in functionality.

Moving on, Epiphone's "IB 1964 Texan", has a historic element that you can either revere or ignore. Epiphone's re-release of the guitars, now manufactured in Indonesia, are receiving rave reviews for sound, and build quality. The Texan carries a solid mahogany back, in addition to a solid spruce top. The electronics are from "Shadow" of Germany, in contrast to the prevalent Fishman systems.

Now, the Texan's "slope shoulder dreadnought", which is in reality a jumbo of sorts, should have a different character to the bottom end than that of the more standard dreadnought shape of the Yamaha.

With those things being said, I don't think you can go too far wrong with either guitar, and you should, (if in any way possible), try out both for yourself.

The reason the Texan is receiving as much press as it has recently, is due to Epiphone releasing a left handed model, mid 2014. That, and the new build location and quality, has piqued player's interests.

The only criticism I've heard in relation to the Texan, is that its amplified sound is sort of "dry". Which I think might be a bit silly, as all you need do with any AE guitar, is kick in a bit of reverb....

The IB 64 Texan doesn't have a cutaway. Many diehard acoustic players think that's a plus. In spite of the fact I normally don't play that high on the neck, I rather enjoy the aesthetics of one. That could be something for you to consider. FWIW, I went with the new Ej-200SCE in lieu of the Texan, primarily because I like the looks better. I had my choice for once, as they're both available left handed. (A very rare occurrence). Many others are actually offended by a J-200 style guitar with a cutaway.

Here's a link to the Epiphone acoustics forum: http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/forum/87-epiphone-acoustics/page__prune_day__100__sort_by__Z-A__sort_key__last_post__topicfilter__all There are a few threads on the Texan in the first three pages. Keep in mind these forum members are Epi diehards, so you'll need your salt shaker handy for that pinch or two when called for.

Yamahas are automatically assumed to be great guitars, and one has to imagine that's because they are. The new Epiphones have a great deal to offer as well.

So, I'm not taking your poll, I think research, a bit of reading reviews, and if possible, personal experience, would serve you better in the long run.
Quote by Captaincranky

The Yamaha should be the FGX-700-SC, as that is the electric version of that particular guitar.

IMO, you can't make a direct comparison between pure acoustic and AE, since the electronics create an entirely different context of usage. Personally, I won't buy a guitar without the plug me in functionality.

Moving on, Epiphone's "IB 1964 Texan", has a historic element that you can either revere or ignore. Epiphone's re-release of the guitars, now manufactured in Indonesia, are receiving rave reviews for sound, and build quality. The Texan carries a solid mahogany back, in addition to a solid spruce top. The electronics are from "Shadow" of Germany, in contrast to the prevalent Fishman systems.

Now, the Texan's "slope shoulder dreadnought", which is in reality a jumbo of sorts, should have a different character to the bottom end than that of the more standard dreadnought shape of the Yamaha.

With those things being said, I don't think you can go too far wrong with either guitar, and you should, (if in any way possible), try out both for yourself.

The reason the Texan is receiving as much press as it has recently, is due to Epiphone releasing a left handed model, mid 2014. That, and the new build location and quality, has piqued player's interests.

The only criticism I've heard in relation to the Texan, is that its amplified sound is sort of "dry". Which I think might be a bit silly, as all you need do with any AE guitar, is kick in a bit of reverb....

The IB 64 Texan doesn't have a cutaway. Many diehard acoustic players think that's a plus. In spite of the fact I normally don't play that high on the neck, I rather enjoy the aesthetics of one. That could be something for you to consider. FWIW, I went with the new Ej-200SCE in lieu of the Texan, primarily because I like the looks better. I had my choice for once, as they're both available left handed. (A very rare occurrence). Many others are actually offended by a J-200 style guitar with a cutaway.

Here's a link to the Epiphone acoustics forum: http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/forum/87-epiphone-acoustics/page__prune_day__100__sort_by__Z-A__sort_key__last_post__topicfilter__all There are a few threads on the Texan in the first three pages. Keep in mind these forum members are Epi diehards, so you'll need your salt shaker handy for that pinch or two when called for.

Yamahas are automatically assumed to be great guitars, and one has to imagine that's because they are. The new Epiphones have a great deal to offer as well.

So, I'm not taking your poll, I think research, a bit of reading reviews, and if possible, personal experience, would serve you better in the long run.

Thanks!
i have found yamaha to have better quality control than epiphone, for whatever it's worth.

but honestly your best bet would be to try them both and buy the one you like. everyone has their own preferences when it comes to guitar, so even if we all voted for one guitar, you might prefer the other.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by Captaincranky

patticake