Hi everyone, I'm looking to buy a Big Muff Deluxe pedal, since I've been having problems cutting through on my normal Big Muff. Does anyone know how well this cuts through in a live setting? Also, I'm in a five person band (singer, 2 guitarists, bassist, and drummer), and I use a Mexican Strat through a Blackstar HT Club 40. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

-Thanks
it has an active mid-boost circuit, so it will be able to cut through better than most pedals. Keep in mind - the more mids you add, the less muffy it sounds. however, you have an advantage with this particular pedal as the mids are footswitchable, allowing you to have both rhythm and lead settings.
In my experience it's impossible to get a muff to cut through with it still sounding like a muff (apart from with a huge volume boost), my musket cuts better than a standard muff but on it's own I can't get it upfront in the mix live. As has been said running an OD in front makes a big difference, and I love how it sounds.

From the demos I've heard of the deluxe muff the mid boost is pretty drastic, so I reckon it'll cut through well, however when engaged it doesn't sound like a muff - but you can always turn it off.

What kinda styles are you playing out of interest?
Quote by doubtfulsalmon
In my experience it's impossible to get a muff to cut through with it still sounding like a muff (apart from with a huge volume boost), my musket cuts better than a standard muff but on it's own I can't get it upfront in the mix live. As has been said running an OD in front makes a big difference, and I love how it sounds.

From the demos I've heard of the deluxe muff the mid boost is pretty drastic, so I reckon it'll cut through well, however when engaged it doesn't sound like a muff - but you can always turn it off.

What kinda styles are you playing out of interest?

Well, I've seen videos of the Big Muff Deluxe, and I really don't mind how they sound with the mid boost, conveniently I can switch the mid boost off if I have to though. And when it comes to the styles I'm play, it's mostly alternative, grunge, garage rock, and a little punk here and there. I'm a huge White Stripes fan, which has really drawn me to the Muff.
who would want to cut through anyway when you can hide in a solid pool of muff..
mojostompboxes.com
yep. i like my vick audio 73 rams head. if offers a switch for flat EQ, classic muff (scooped) and mid boost. i run the boost on with the tone at 3 o clock. CUT. i mean its a go to solo tone on a clean channel, and it still sounds heavy but stands out. if i really want muffy, then i flip the switch. flat is more or less a sorta well "classic" tone i suppose?

great pedal. i pretty much leave the sustain and level at noon. keep all teh knobs the same and just use the mini toggle to change tone. that pretty much how i like all my pedals. if i could design pedals, there would be no knobs, just mini toggles. perhaps a knob for volume / output. thats its. anything with a mix would also need a knob.

dip switches and foot switches. gimme 1 knob, a bunch of dip switches, and 2 foot switches. heaven. not sure what that would be. perhaps an OD / Boost.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)