Page 1 of 2
So recently I discovered that changing the past is impossible. While going back in time is possible, you cannot change the past. Here's the logic:

Say I wanted to kill my best friend. So I get in my time machine and go back 21 years to when his mother was pregnent with him. I convince her to have an abortion. So she goes through with it and my friend is never born. BUT WAIT!!!! If he was never born, I never would have known him or remembered him, so I would have never gone back in time to cause his mother to have an abortion. The timeline would just repair itself.

Basically what I'm saying is, everything happens for a reason.
Quote by APileOfDeadCops
So recently I discovered that changing the past is impossible. While going back in time is possible, you cannot change the past. Here's the logic:

Say I wanted to kill my best friend. So I get in my time machine and go back 21 years to when his mother was pregnent with him. I convince her to have an abortion. So she goes through with it and my friend is never born. BUT WAIT!!!! If he was never born, I never would have known him or remembered him, so I would have never gone back in time to cause his mother to have an abortion. The timeline would just repair itself.

Trousers of time, mother****er.

Everything that can happen, does. Just in a different universe.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by APileOfDeadCops

LOL micheal bay films aren't known for their accurate science.
Last edited by Wormholes at Feb 1, 2015,
Time travel to the past is impossible [based on current science], but last time I checked time travel to the future is possible.
one time i made a time machine out of a chip bowl with the sole intent of seeing how many people i could get to put it on their head

here are the instructions on the time machine:

1 place time machine on head
2 wait two minutes
3 you are now two minutes into the future
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.

So, OP, were you thinking about going back in time to stop yourself from posting that story, or to stop yourself from ditching your friend in the first place?

Quote by E7#9
Time travel to the past is impossible [based on current science], but last time I checked time travel to the future is possible.

There's some speculation that it is theoretically possible. It's to do with black holes (or "white holes") or something. It's been ages since I've seen the clip, I think it was Neil DeGrasse Tyson talking about it.
Free Ali
Free Lard
Search string theory on the forums I believe there was a thread about string theory a few years ago that talked time travel paradoxes, string theory, and multiple universes. I spent a whole night on YouTube that night...cause I'm lame...
Quote by chrismendiola

There's some speculation that it is theoretically possible. It's to do with black holes (or "white holes") or something. It's been ages since I've seen the clip, I think it was Neil DeGrasse Tyson talking about it.

My understanding is pretty basic, but I think the gist of it is that time actually passes faster around objects with large mass.

So given that, if you could theoretically fly a space ship just outside the diameter of a black hole [without getting sucked in] for x number of years and return to Earth, the time elapsed on Earth would be greater than x number of years.

Or something like that

That's what I remember of it at least. Don't quote me on this though, I'm not a physicist.
Quote by E7#9

Tachyons are hypothetical particles that could theoretically be used to send signals backwards in time, but as a general rule for time dilation, backwards travel is indeed impossible. Forward time travel is not only possible, but can be observed here on Earth through muon particles.

Quote by E7#9
My understanding is pretty basic, but I think the gist of it is that time actually passes faster around objects with large mass.

So given that, if you could theoretically fly a space ship just outside the diameter of a black hole [without getting sucked in] for x number of years and return to Earth, the time elapsed on Earth would be greater than x number of years.

Or something like that

That's what I remember of it at least. Don't quote me on this though, I'm not a physicist.

Yeah, that's essentially correct. However, it doesn't have to be a large mass. All mass, speed and time are amazingly interconnected. Technically, time for our feet passes faster than it does for our head, though the difference is so small it doesn't really matter.
Check out my band Disturbed
Last edited by StewieSwan at Feb 1, 2015,
Quote by APileOfDeadCops
So recently I discovered that changing the past is impossible.
Really.
Quote by StewieSwan
Tachyons are hypothetical particles that could theoretically be used to send signals backwards in time, but as a general rule for time dilation, backwards travel is indeed impossible. Forward time travel is not only possible, but can be observed here on Earth through muon particles.

forward time travel is better anyway. if i want to learn about history, i can read a book. i'd rather see what the planet looks like after the next extinction event.
Quote by APileOfDeadCops
snip

Welcome to science. A similar paradox is well known (as the "grandfather paradox", if you care to look it up), and a logical deduction so far as we can tell, since we can't time travel.

However, you're saying that everything happens for a reason, which is nice, and comforting. But not particularly true.

"Reason" can mean two things. The human, emotional "reason". For example, I have a minor car accident with a woman, turns out the woman and I go to the same gym, turns out we go at the same times and never knew, we hit it off, bam we're banging, having kids, and getting married. That's one "meant to be" example.

Then there's mathematical or physical "reason". I hit that chick's car because of human error - let's assume - but the "reason" the damage occurred is due to the law of physics. Force, acceleration, atomic structure of the car's material, etc. etc.

Using a time travel paradox as evidence of "reason" doesn't work, when you consider that the law of physics allows for time to be reversed, and because it's theoretically possible for a particle to travel backwards in time (research "tachyons"). There's also the possibility of multiple universes and parallel timelines.

Quantum physics also shows us that the universe does things sorta randomly (look up Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle for a little bit on that), and sometimes without a clear "reason" as to why.

All interesting stuff I recommend reading up on, or just watch ****ing Cosmos like any other geek like me would. In the end, though, nobody knows anything for certain. For all I know we're in the Matrix and aliens are using my brain as a sex toy.
Last edited by Mud Martian at Feb 2, 2015,
Quote by APileOfDeadCops

Time travel is obviously possible because I'm apparently back in a time when the grandfather paradox horse hasn't been flogged to shit
🙈 🙉 🙊
Quote by E7#9

Or something like that

I didn't make it clear, I was talking about time travel to go back in time.
Free Ali
Free Lard
Quote by APileOfDeadCops
everything happens for a reason.

I agree with this. I know there's no science behind it yet, but idk... you ever get lost as a kid, and not worry about not getting back eventually? Shit happens for a reason.
I got lost as a kid and didn't worry about getting back eventually. And then I started to worry a bit. And then holy shit I started to worry a lot. But not as much as my mom did.
Idk, in feel like if we went back to the past, we'd just phase through the ground and float because physics wouldn't apply, we'd be changing the past simply by standing on the ground and crushing the atoms beneath our feet, and as I stated earlier, changing the past is impossible. So I feel like if we ever did develop backwards time travel, nobody would be able to see, smell, hear, feel, or taste us.

Kinda freaky to think about, "ghosts" among us. From the future no less! But then again, most likely the future doesn't exist yet, and we are truly living in the legitimate "present". Just my two cents.
Quote by Axelfox
TS is the cringiest user of 2015

you ahve no ****ing say in that matter
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Quote by theogonia777
one time i made a time machine out of a chip bowl with the sole intent of seeing how many people i could get to put it on their head

2 wait two minutes

ok swisgard

http://youtu.be/ZknFhQftrug?t=38s
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
you ahve no ****ing say in that matter

Have, not ahve.
Quote by Axelfox
Have, not ahve.

You didn't understand the sentence because of that error right?
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
You didn't understand the sentence because of that error right?

Quote by Fat Lard
ahvein a giggle m8

Learn to spell.

Last edited by Axelfox at Feb 2, 2015,
Quote by whywefight
multiverse theory and therefore alternate timelines.

Honest question: wouldn't a theory that we can't go back make more sense rather than the multiverse theory?
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
If you do something right, no one will know you've done anything at all

Proud to be called Best Friends with Pastafarian96
First post! FYI, I haven't read any of the responses because I've written this post a few years ago in response to this thread, which I read about two months from now.

Also, how can we travel back in something that doesn't exist?
Last edited by ultimate-slash at Feb 2, 2015,
Quote by Axelfox
TS is the cringiest user of 2015

Quote by Axelfox
Have, not ahve.

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Feb 2, 2015,
The conclusion I've come to with the grandfather paradox is that you'd still exist if you went back to the present (matter won't just disappear) but you will have technically never been born. Nobody would know who you are or why you exist and you'd just be a big mystery. Or really you wouldn't be able to do it to begin with.

That's not what trips me out; it's the b theory of time that gets me. That the past, present, and future exist all at the same time, and that there is no free will. Though I'm not entirely convinced that that is so. We've obviously observed time dilation and that time is relative (plus a lot of other weird shit), but I don't think that means that everything is set in stone. I've adopted a compatabilist stance; time is an illusion but we still have free will (in this sense; you could use neuroscience arguments to argue against free will but that shit isn't even weird or scary to me. It makes sense).

w/e I'm not a meta-physicist and I really don't know a lot let them work it out.
Quote by theogonia777

2 wait two minutes

OMG, I tried this guys. It totally works.
I'm gonna try 4 minutes now, so long suckers!

*edit: shit I dropped the bowl and I'm stuck here now.
Last edited by UltimateGuizar at Feb 2, 2015,
Quote by UltimateGuizar
OMG, I tried this guys. It totally works.
I'm gonna try 4 minutes now, so long suckers!

*edit: shit I dropped the bowl and I'm stuck here now.

Don't worry buddy. I'll come get you!

EDIT: Shit, my bowl malfunctioned. Where/when the hell am I?
Last edited by ultimate-slash at Feb 2, 2015,
Page 1 of 2