Hi guys!

I recently bought a used Ibanez s320, and it's a pretty lovely guitar, however, it is extremely dirty and rusted.
When I got it, even strings were rusty, but it sounds really good and everything works perfectly. I really have no idea how to properly clean the rust and other nasty stuff off my guitar.

I have never gotten any of my guitars rusty, and I wouldn't want to scratch or mess up anything on the guitar. I will attach a few pictures of what I am talking about, but mostly it is just the bridge, metal parts around pickups, volume/tone knobs, and screws to hold the strings.

Any suggestions?
Thank you in advance

Disassemble the locking nut and clean the corroded bits with CLR. The knobs and pup rings look like black chrome that rubbed off (it always does), all you can do with those is replace them. Those parts can be bought direct from China on eBay for a few dollars.
Most of the parts are really small and cheap to buy so if I were you I'd just replace the rusty parts. They're available all over the internet.

The locking plates are facing the wrong way btw. Its convention to have the chamfer on both sides of the plates be facing side-side not up-down the guitar. In other words, turn the plates 90 degrees.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Feb 1, 2015,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Most of the parts are really small and cheap to buy so if I were you I'd just replace the rusty parts. They're available all over the internet.

The locking plates are facing the wrong way btw. Its convention to have the chamfer on both sides of the plates be facing side-side not up-down the guitar. In other words, turn the plates 90 degrees.

I have to agree replacing would be the way to go.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Quote by jpnyc
Disassemble the locking nut and clean the corroded bits with CLR. The knobs and pup rings look like black chrome that rubbed off (it always does), all you can do with those is replace them. Those parts can be bought direct from China on eBay for a few dollars.

What do you mean by the locking nut? The 3 screws on the neck?

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

Thank you I will fix the plates around when I put the strings after cleaning.

Guys, I have no idea where I can find these parts, I looked on eBay and I only found the metal plate around pickups for 40$ Any websites that I should look at? or maybe search differently on eBay? I have no idea if any Ibanez parts will fit on my guitar etc. If you guys could give me few suggestions I would be really grateful : ))

Btw, I know that s320 and s420 are identical just 420 has 24 frets, but I still couldn't find anything on eBay for it
Last edited by hajkmusic at Feb 1, 2015,
I'd suggest just getting some Meguiar's Cleaner/Wax (burgundy bottle) and begin cleaning the metal bits (leave that trem alone; it looks pretty good) with that. Some of that is dirt, a small amount is corrosion and you'll probably find there are bits where plating has flaked off. You can either replace those hardware bits or polish them up the best you can and seal them with a good carnauba wax. Should last you another 50 years or so.
Quote by jpnyc

Wait, so any parts will fit? I thought it had to be specific for the guitar haha I am so dumb.

Quote by dspellman
I'd suggest just getting some Meguiar's Cleaner/Wax (burgundy bottle) and begin cleaning the metal bits (leave that trem alone; it looks pretty good) with that. Some of that is dirt, a small amount is corrosion and you'll probably find there are bits where plating has flaked off. You can either replace those hardware bits or polish them up the best you can and seal them with a good carnauba wax. Should last you another 50 years or so.

I will give it a try if I can't find any good replacement parts that I like, but I will protect the new parts form going bad like the current did
Quote by hajkmusic
Wait, so any parts will fit? I thought it had to be specific for the guitar haha I am so dumb.

Humbucker rings and knobs are usually generic. Some other stuff, like nuts and bridges, are not.

In addition to eBay, http://www.philadelphialuthiertools.com sells good stuff. It’s not as cheap, but the quality is probably better.
Amazon also has a pretty good selection of parts, individual string locks for tremolos and bridges and so forth, prices aren't bad.

Aluminum foil used just like sandpaper will take off a lot of surface rust on any kind of metal and is softer than the metal so it won't leave scratches. I've used it on guitars, bicycles...got the tip from an auto body guy, they use it on chrome bumpers.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...