4 22%
Cover 9
2 11%
Voters: 18.
Page 1 of 2
Greets

The Beatles. We're covering them.

From the previous thread:
From now on we pick an artist to cover and set up a thread in the group to discuss said artist, regarding his/her/their songwriting, what distinguishes them from other artists, and stuff like that.

You can always cover who you want, this isn't mandatory, but it would be fun and probably a push towards unfamiliar songwriting waters (whatever that means).

Here's the thread we'll be using to discuss The Beatles:
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/mozartfactory/forum/72066/

Also, you can suggest who we should be covering next. Just post below or drop by our group's comment section.

---------------------------
Also, next week it's "Free Week". You can submit any song you've been working on without the usual one week time constraint. Think of it as an incentive to finish a song!

The objective of this thread is to vote on the cover you like the most, but remember: don't base your vote on the quality of the recording, base it on the content.

Here they are:

1 - "Yesterday (The Beatles cover)" (BjarnedeGraaf)

2 - "Hey Jude (The Beatles cover)" (FoOltz)

3 - "Come Together (The Beatles cover)" (ultimate-slash)

4 - "Eleanor Rigby (The Beatles cover)" (nico_9550)

5 - "Hey Jude (The Beatles cover)" (ehbacon)

6 - "I Am The Walrus (The Beatles cover)" (Minicaxotinho)

7 - "Let It Be (The Beatles cover)" (boooysti)

8 - "And I Love Her (The Beatles cover)" (whywefight, Trifonas)

9 - "A Day In The Life (The Beatles cover)" (chev311e)

------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's last time's most voted COVER, from SirZep, it's "Rapt (Karen O cover)"!

AND

Here is last week's most voted ORIGINAL song, from SirZep, the song "3366:Decode"!
------------------------------------------------------------------

If you too want to become a better songwriter/gigolo consider joining our group (http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/mozartfactory/), all the info you need to join this weekly "contest" is there.

The votes will be counted this Thursday (post your song for next week meanwhile). The winner of this week's voting will become a mod in our group.

------------------
lel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvuUFRC3IwQ

Check out last week's ORIGINAL SONGS thread here: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=33216854
OR
Check out the previous COVERS thread here: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1661796
Last edited by Minicaxotinho at Feb 1, 2015,
Voted for bjarned but shoutout to ultimate-slash for changing up the song pretty well.

And for some reason my cover still isn't showing up on my profile on soundcloud but the direct link works for me so w/e

edit: oh and mini there's nothing about your cover that isn't awesome besides the fact that I lost track of what was going on for a while

but really though it kinda reminds me of the random shit I was doing a year ago
Last edited by whywefight at Feb 2, 2015,
Yup seems to be working.

My suggestion for next cover week: Rammstein. Or Alice Cooper, if you guys don't like Germans

Edit: Looks like I'm on the right path then
DoubleEdit: After giving it another listen, I cringed at my singing and decided I'll never listen to it again
Last edited by Minicaxotinho at Feb 2, 2015,
I just downloaded a demo of an expensive vocal suite and it's blowing my mind.
Voted for Slash, that was amazing.
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Line 6 Spider IV (Don't judge me, I was young and stupid)
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
Oh wow, for a moment there I thought FoOltz sang 'take a sex song and make it better'

Also, I have no better way of describing ehbacon's cover than 'lovely'. It's what I want to listen to while I'm being rocked to sleep.

I'm going to have to give 1, 8 and 9 another listen as I want to vote on one of these, but I'm not sure which yet.

Quote by BjarnedeGraaf
Voted for Slash, that was amazing.

Thanks! Loved yours as well. You can sort of hear that sometimes your singing at the top (or at least very high into) your normal vocal range, but you managed to make those notes sound really good actually. And I mean that as a compliment, and not in a 'you did the best you could'-kind of way. If I were really singing at the top of my range, everything would sound like a frog being boiled alive or something.

EDIT: Went for number 8. Good job whywefight and Trifonas!
Last edited by ultimate-slash at Feb 2, 2015,
Quote by ultimate-slash
Oh wow, for a moment there I thought FoOltz sang 'take a sex song and make it better'

Also, I have no better way of describing ehbacon's cover than 'lovely'. It's what I want to listen to while I'm being rocked to sleep.

I'm going to have to give 1, 8 and 9 another listen as I want to vote on one of these, but I'm not sure which yet.

Thanks! Loved yours as well. You can sort of hear that sometimes your singing at the top (or at least very high into) your normal vocal range, but you managed to make those notes sound really good actually. And I mean that as a compliment, and not in a 'you did the best you could'-kind of way. If I were really singing at the top of my range, everything would sound like a frog being boiled alive or something.

EDIT: Went for number 8. Good job whywefight and Trifonas!

Thanks man, I have to say I've listened to almost every beatles song to find one I can sing with my vocal range. I don't like tuning a song down to my vocal range

I kinda wish Ehbacon would've done the "****ing hell" you hear in the original of Hey Jude
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
I just circumvented range problems completely and had someone else sing it

Though I guess it wasn't too high of a song, I did double track the original melody on like two lines and it didn't sound two weird if you didn't isolate my tracks. But trifonas's voice was perfect for this song.
Quote by whywefight
I just circumvented range problems completely and had someone else sing it

Though I guess it wasn't too high of a song, I did double track the original melody on like two lines and it didn't sound two weird if you didn't isolate my tracks. But trifonas's voice was perfect for this song.

yeah I agree. it's a great cover you guys made
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
I don't know exactly which one I'm going to vote for, because most of them are great. Well, I'll say some stuff until I decide.
Yesterday: I liked the piano and the atmosphere it created. Your voice blended really nice with it. Solid cover.
Hey Jude (ukulele): Simply lovely man. Really peaceful. It even made me smile.
A day in the life: Really enjoyed the delay effect on the guitar and the reversed vocals in the outro.
Hey Jude (Foltz): Probably my favorite. It sounds original. One of my favorite songs as a child, now it sounds like it was suckerpunched. The outro gave me goosebumbs. Great job man.
Still I can't decide, because the other ones are really warm covers.

Also whywefight is awesome
Just cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there.
Last edited by Trifonas at Feb 2, 2015,
Voted for slash's but I could have gone with any other they were great.

My voice ended up incredibly loud when I uploaded it to soundcloud lol
funny that we all chose different songs btw. I thought some more people would've gone for Yesterday or other more known songs by them
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
why don't we do a 70s band? Then the next after that 80s, then 90s, the 00s, then 10s. Sound good?

Edit: thanks so much everyone for the kind words! You guys made my day
Last edited by ehbacon at Feb 2, 2015,
Maybe I missed it, where was the bridge for a Day in the Life? I was looking forward to seeing how you worked that in there.
Voted for that one anyway.
Si
Quote by ehbacon
why don't we do a 70s band? Then the next after that 80s, then 90s, the 00s, then 10s. Sound good?

Edit: thanks so much everyone for the kind words! You guys made my day

That might get confusing because most bands aren't like the Beatles where almost everything they did came out in the same decade
Quote by ultimate-slash

Damn... A missed opportunity.

Quote by Trifonas
Hey Jude (Foltz): Probably my favorite. It sounds original. One of my favorite songs as a child, now it sounds like it was suckerpunched. The outro gave me goosebumbs. Great job man.

Thanks man! When I first started that song I had no idea where I was going with it but it kind of just worked out. I'm really happy with it now.

Voted for Mini because within the chaos there is beauty.

Also for the next covers week, bring on the Pink Floyd.
Quote by 20Tigers
Maybe I missed it, where was the bridge for a Day in the Life? I was looking forward to seeing how you worked that in there.
Voted for that one anyway.

Haha yea I didn't really know how I was going to fit the bridge in there so that's pretty much why I didn't. Also I've never been a huge fan of that part of the song. But thanks for the vote!
well shit. floyd is vocally too much for me. but I'd give it a go
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
If anyone does Careful With That Axe Eugene I'll vote for them

edit: actually dibs on that song
Last edited by whywefight at Feb 3, 2015,
inb4 6 "wish you were here" entries
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
haha yeah I'm worried there'll be a bunch of those too. it's probably by far their easiest song to cover that I can think of
I wanted to do it once people started voting for pink floyd here, but that's just taking the easy way out, so I think i'll go with something else like Shine on you crazy diamond or something along those lines.
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
yeah I kinda want to cover a song like that too. Like, Pink Floyd is so good at writing extremely expansive stuff which is something I've never really tried out before.
Yea I totally agree with you. their stuff can be very complex so it'll be a real challenge getting it right. which is what this all is about in the end
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
Yeah for sure. If I did Careful With That Axe Eugene I'd probably switch up the style a bit, which means I'll probably end up with either a cover that's only four minutes long or holy shit I'm going to be putting so much work into just the dynamics of it

Hopefully I can take the time to get it right
Hmm you are making me curious. I want to hear your cover asap too bad cover week is a while away
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
I've had the idea for a while now honestly. I brought it up to Foltz like the first or second cover week but I don't think it was really possible then

You'd do a good cover of Shine On actually now that I think about it. Even a just piano + vocals version would sound pretty great I'm sure
I'm so excited about doing Pink Floyd covers now, it makes me sad that the next covers week isn't until March or something.
Quote by whywefight
I've had the idea for a while now honestly. I brought it up to Foltz like the first or second cover week but I don't think it was really possible then

You'd do a good cover of Shine On actually now that I think about it. Even a just piano + vocals version would sound pretty great I'm sure

I'm not sure if I'd do it piano/vocals style. that would be repeating myself in a way. I might do a different arrangement of some sorts, but we'll see once I start working on it.
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
Page 1 of 2