i bought another guitar kit to paint and build. i wanna try to do that swirl finish where you dip it in the water with a layer of paint on top. The body seems pretty straightforward however idk how im going to mask off the fretboard of the neck to dip. Luckily it is a bolt on neck which makes it a little easier. I've seen a couple vids on youtube of people dipping the neck in but i cant tell if they taped the fretboard somehow or they removed it and put it back on after painting.

The first kit i build i spray painted so i just taped it off but i dont know what to do about fully submerging it in water.

I am hoping that i dont absolutely have to take the fretboard off as 1) i dont really know how to and 2) puttting it back on most likely requires precision that i am not capable of or else it will not have any chance of playing right (all though my first build doesnt play very well anyway).

In the end this is ultimately going to be an art project that is going to hang on my wall but im still not trying to mess up any chances of it actually being a guitar i enjoy playing.

If anyone has any advice for me and/or direct me to some posts that i couldnt find i would really appreciate it.
*pics of my gear are on my profile
Quote by sytharnia1560
where have you seen a swirl done on a neck?? can you post a link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mucZc-tUho

and after watching it again it kinda looks like there might be frets pushing up whatever masking hes using when he twirls the neck around after pulling it out
yeah looks like they just taped up the fretboard ... you would want to keep the board as dry as possible so make sure the tape is on nice and flat and thick

I have never seen swirl on the neck before, but man it looks cool
Yea. I think I'm just gunna get some waterproof tape and test it out on plywood before the real thing
Use plywood and MDF/particle board for the test. Maybe tape the two together. If you do that, the particle board will make it very evident if it got even a little wet.
Quote by Fryderyczek
Having a shitty amp and getting a distortion pedal is like putting a band aid on cancer

for music without words I help make: Listen Earth
Quote by sytharnia1560
yeah looks like they just taped up the fretboard ... you would want to keep the board as dry as possible so make sure the tape is on nice and flat and thick

I have never seen swirl on the neck before, but man it looks cool

I can't imagine it would be much of an issue to do a minor cleanup if there WAS a bit of...er...overswirl.