So last week, I had been using my hot rod deluxe with no problem last week. Got to band practice on friday and my distortion channel didn't work. The clean worked fine, but when i tried to switch to the channel it just went silent. I tried to isolate the problem by trying different cables, going straight into the amp with no pedals, but nothing seemed to work. Does anyone have any ideas on what the problem is?

Ive had the amp for 5 years. Ive taken great care of it. I changed the tubes in march of 2013, and I have used it sparingly since then. I let it sit on standby to warm up and cool down.
Check all of the tubes used in the dirty channel are working - it's likely that one just went bad.

If they all work then you either know your way around troubleshooting electronics, or you're better off giving a call to fender's customer service to have it fixed.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
hmmm ok. I tried switching the places of the power tubes and it didnt do anything. However, i switched the 4th and 5th pre amp tubes and there was no sound coming out of the amp. Did i maybe put them in wrong?

I switched them back to where they usually were, but the original problem still persisted
One of those preamp tubes is ****ed is what you proved. Buy a new one.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
One of those preamp tubes is ****ed is what you proved. Buy a new one.

buy at least two so you have a backup after that. or just do the whole set and keep tthe old as spares if you don't have any.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
One of the pre tubes failed, get a new one + some others just in case.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Do you think its ok if i continue playing on my amp until saturday? I have a gig on saturday and I don't want to change anything to jeopardize my amp.
Quote by jalaniftw
Do you think its ok if i continue playing on my amp until saturday? I have a gig on saturday and I don't want to change anything to jeopardize my amp.

Can I keep driving my car with one headlight? I have to get to and from work and I don't want to take a chance the other light might go out when I replace the first one...

FFS, CHANGE THE DAMN TUBE!

Seriously, it's not rocket surgery, just replace the bad preamp tube and gig on.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
Can I keep driving my car with one headlight? I have to get to and from work and I don't want to take a chance the other light might go out when I replace the first one...

FFS, CHANGE THE DAMN TUBE!

Seriously, it's not rocket surgery, just replace the bad preamp tube and gig on.

Haha ok i see your point. I was recently given some mojo tone sovek EL 84's. Would that be ok if i replaced the bad tube with that? Right now i have groove tube's 12x87-c in right now
Quote by jalaniftw
Haha ok i see your point. I was recently given some mojo tone sovek EL 84's. Would that be ok if i replaced the bad tube with that? Right now i have groove tube's 12x87-c in right now

NO! EL84 is a powertube. you need a preamp tube. a 12ax7.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Phew dogged that bullet! Thanks guys for the replies! it really helped a lot
Quote by jalaniftw
Phew dogged that bullet! Thanks guys for the replies! it really helped a lot

you couldn't get it in anyways. different number of pins, different socket.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Actually, an EL84 will fit in the socket, it just won't work.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Try not to buy the tubes from Guitar Center. Not that it really matters with preamp tubes, but get them from somewhere that tests tubes.

I had a shitty time replacing power tubes in my VK a couple months ago. GC sold me "matched" tubes that were not all matched. Three of them ran 35-40 mA(? don't remember the unit) and one ran at 70 mA. It was discolored after using the amp for a few hours.

It had some other problems too, but a whopping $350 later, I learned my lesson. I did get a really good deal on the 4 power tubes though. They ended up costing me about $95 with a price match and a deal. BUT $95 that went right in the trash.
Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe RI
Schecter C-1 Artist II
1978 Music Man HD130
+ a bunch of neat pedals

screamy emo band
Last edited by nick.culliton at Feb 3, 2015,
If you have your old preamp tubes still as spares, try one of them. 12Ax7s don't tend to age out like power tubes and they might be ok. A new 12Ax7 is only about $12 so if you know which one is bad, just buy another one.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Cathbard
Actually, an EL84 will fit in the socket, it just won't work.

myself. yea.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by nick.culliton
Try not to buy the tubes from Guitar Center. Not that it really matters with preamp tubes, but get them from somewhere that tests tubes.

I had a shitty time replacing power tubes in my VK a couple months ago. GC sold me "matched" tubes that were not all matched. Three of them ran 35-40 mA(? don't remember the unit) and one ran at 70 mA. It was discolored after using the amp for a few hours.

It had some other problems too, but a whopping $350 later, I learned my lesson. I did get a really good deal on the 4 power tubes though. They ended up costing me about $95 with a price match and a deal. BUT $95 that went right in the trash.

Interesting. I bought my all of my tubes at guitar center the last time i changed all of them and the power tubes are still good. Ive had to change one pre amp tube (now two), but ill keep that in mind
It doesn't really matter for preamp tubes, but at least a place that tests tubes likely wouldn't sell you a bad tube or a tube with a really whacky rating. Some shops test their tubes. I believe thetubedepot.com tests tubes. You can even pay extra and have them matched, balanced triodes, low nows & microphonics, high gain and even have your power tubes burnt in.

Again, none of that really matters for preamp tubes, but the option is available if you're finicky about your tubes.
Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe RI
Schecter C-1 Artist II
1978 Music Man HD130
+ a bunch of neat pedals

screamy emo band