Hi there.

I'm a bit confused when it comes to setting up the Bridge Tremolo on my guitar.

I've earlier taken one of my electric guitars to the shop for a complete setup and the pro there said that there was actually only one way to set up the Bridge Tremolo correctly.
The correct way he mentiones is it called a Floating Tremolo, or?

I've seen that on some guitars the Bridge is either resting on the body of the guitar or raised a little above the body?
What's the difference and what will it do?

I actually don't use the tremolo system on my guitar, but the reason I'm asking is because I have a guitar that when I changed the string to a new set, it made the Tremolo Bridge raise and made the guitar unable to stay in tune..
And from what I know, that problem has something to do with the springs and the screw claws on the back of the guitar.
I got the problem fixed by taking it to the shop, as mentioned, but can I do it myself and save the money?

I've tried to search on YouTube, but when I don't know what the propper set up is called it's a bit hard to find the right answer, video, etc.

I hope you guys can help me!

Thansk a lot!
what's your guitar?

if you set the tremolo up to float you can both raise and lower the pitch of notes. but doing double stop bends (and anything where you bend one string but play another string as well) will be harder since bending will move the tremolo and knock the other strings out of tune. also even palm muting you have to be careful with as that can move the tremolo as well, knocking the strings slightly out of tune. also breaking a string you're in trouble because all the other strings will go out of tune... and restringing is slightly harder since you have to sort of "balance" all the strings to get the thing in tune.

if the tremolo is "decked" (not floating, tight to the top of the guitar) you can't raise the pitch with the tremolo, but most of the problems mentioned above are either fixed, or at least made less severe. but it makes the tremolo (in some players' opinions) less nice to use, and arguably affects the tone a little bit too.

you can do whichever you prefer.

you can do it yourself- as you said, you adjust the screws in the back of the trem claw to bring the trem back towards the top of the guitar.

there's a sticky here about guitar setups: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=602241

i'd guess there are setup videos on youtube etc. too which might be worth a look (just bear in mind that not everyone who makes a video knows what he/she is talking about- but if it's from fender, say, it's probably legit).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Lots of people deck the Fender tremolo, so no, there is not only one way.

If your tremolo went way high after the new strings, you must have put a heavier gauge string on the guitar.

If your tremolo is out of whack, you fall into a balancing act when trying to set it up to 'spec'. A lot of people will say the proper float on a Fender tremolo is where your high e-string makes an in-tune upwards pitch shift of one half-step when the tremolo arm is lifted to the point the bridge hits the body. On the B string, you will get an in-tune shift of one step and the G string will give you one and a half steps. It is somewhat subjective and Fender specs are just a baseline. But basically on a lot of good setups you typically have the tremo claw screws about an inch out and the float setup as mentioned above.

The balancing act takes time as you go flat and sharp as you move the trem claws in then retune the guitar.