Hi there.

Lately I've been considering to change my tuners on some of my guitars, but I can't quite wrap my head around the wide variety on the market?..
Can anyone recommend some decent tuners?

And also what the deal with locking tuners and the other types?

Thanks!
what are your guitars? handiest thing is to find ones which are a direct swap.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks. I don't know offhand which tuners are a direct swap, but hopefully someone else will know.

A lot of the good quality tuner manufacturers (schaller, gotoh, sperzel, grover etc.) might list dimensions on their websites so that might be worth a look if you measure your guitar.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Locking tuners "lock" the strings at the tuner.

You need to get a tuning system that matches what will work for your guitar. If a new set of tuners are too big, you could potentially just drill a bigger hole in the headstock. Too small a tuner size and that would be no fun. Measure it yourself? Also, Some tuners come rows of 3 on a plate, some come separately, etc.
I happen to love locking tuners, ease of string change and in my opinion stay in tune much better. I use grovers, love em.
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
I honestly would not bother with locking tuners. They're not going to improve your tuning stability any more than if you simply string the guitar correctly. They just make it faster to restring.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I honestly would not bother with locking tuners. They're not going to improve your tuning stability any more than if you simply string the guitar correctly. They just make it faster to restring.

That's what I love about them, changing string to back in tune takes about a minute.
You won't have to bother with standard stringing technique, winding the string under and sideways so it'll lock. Considering price difference, I usually go locking tuners on my good guitars.
most tuner makers will carter to specs on common guitars like les pauls and fenders. i would imagine searching around will get you answers on which work for your epiphone. get a list that way. but really, its kinda a crap shoot. gotoh, sperzel, grover...all good. pretty sure schaller makes some.

go for what goes on your guitar first, get locking tuners second, its totally worth it, then get what looks good for your guitar or perhaps what is similar to the look you have if you want that, and then cost. i would imagine most locking tuner sets should sit around 80 bucks.

if you are on a budget, hipshot actually makes good products that are affordable. i know many customer luthiers than stock hipshot products standard on their guitars that sell for 2500 bucks.

and...it appears the smart people at hipshot accounted for this and made tuners that can retrofit without drilling. however that works...right on their front page

http://www.hipshotproducts.com
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Last edited by ikey_ at Feb 2, 2015,
Grover lockers are all I buy now. They're pretty cheap and they rock.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification