Hai guyz,

I'm learning how to do my own setups, and I has two guitars that don't have individual string saddles; a '59 Danelectro DC reissue and a Gibson Melody Maker.

Naturally, this makes it difficult to adjust intonation, and so far the Googles has turned up a ton of posts either asking the exact same thing as me (IE, "How do I adjust intonation on a Danelectro/MM?") or talking about how they just replaced the bridge.

I don't want to replace the bridge. Am I SOL or is there a technique I can use on these instruments that the Internet is just being coy about?

Also, if I am SOL, does anyone have any suggestions as to how to minimize the impact a non-intonation-adjustable instrument would have on a mix/live performance? The whole reason this came up was because I was playing a recording I made for my old teacher and the first words out of his mouth were, "those guitars aren't in tune with one another."

Thanky,
CS
If you get the low and high E intonated, and you cannot get the other strings to intonate and the rest of the guitar is set up how you like it, then you're 'Shit Outta Luck'. They're a terrible design.

I suppose you could adjust the action to the point that the 12th fret does intonate on some of the other strings, but that isn't a practical solution as by doing that, you end up compromising the playability of the guitar, and you affect the intonation on other areas of the neck, as well as the intonation of the other strings.

Another thing you could try if you're desperate is to experiment with different string gauges. As a general rule, the heavier the string gauge is, the further back the intonation point of that string. if one particular string is sharp/flat, change the gauge of that string in accordance. But again, this is impractical. Different string gauges are going to give different string tensions as to what you're used to and the guitar is going to feel weird to play. Also, you're going to get more fret buzz on the lighter strings than on the heavier ones. Which compromises your guitar's setup.

The most practical solution is to solve the problem at the root cause by getting a new bridge. It sucks, but thats life. Fortunately there are a lot of bridges on the market designed to solve the exact problem you're having and they're drop-in replacements.

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Chrome-Badass-Style-Intonatable-wraparound-bridge_p_153.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Danelectro-Intonatable-Bridge-for-U3-CHROME-/331282499611
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Feb 2, 2015,
^yep get the bridge from guitarfetish
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
It isn't an automatic necessity that a bridge intonates perfectly, it depends what style you play, and the slight "offness" can add character, as in an acoustic. For example, many tele aficionados still like the old style 3-barrel non-compensated bridges, even though the don't intonate well with a plain 3rd string.

The best fix, if that is what you want, is a new bridge, as suggested by TDB. Just be sure to check the post spacing specs before you order. - They do vary slightly.