Recently I bought a Ibanez PF15ECE, because looks nice, good price and sounds good (I don't have many experience with diferents guitars) but came to me the doubt: Which of these brands have the best budget guitars? I know Ibanez have their prestige but I don't know if in their entire catalog of guitars or only in a few ones. I own a Cort, but a electric and is a nice guitar, a CR, copy of a LP but don't know about the acoustics. In the Fender side, really don't like most of their models only in the look, but don't know much about the sound. What can you tell about your experience with these brands and in general about the quality of their products (refering to the guitars as a product in this case)? Like or dislike?, fell in love with o hated so much?
Last edited by legion501stup at Feb 2, 2015,
Well, that's like asking, "How long is a piece of string?" I've played guitars from major brands that I have loved, and others I've disliked. Cort, Fender and Ibanez all have good rep so most any guitar you pick up by them will probably be good. Will they be the right instrument for YOU though? I'd say stop worrying about brand typifying and just pick up a guitar and play it, that's what they're made for. If you like it, buy it. If you don't, try something else.
Quote by rohash
You should definitely include Yamaha in the discussion.

Indeed. I forgot Epiphone in the discussion
Quote by UnmagicMushroom
Well, that's like asking, "How long is a piece of string?" I've played guitars from major brands that I have loved, and others I've disliked. Cort, Fender and Ibanez all have good rep so most any guitar you pick up by them will probably be good. Will they be the right instrument for YOU though? I'd say stop worrying about brand typifying and just pick up a guitar and play it, that's what they're made for. If you like it, buy it. If you don't, try something else.

I know that, but I'm only asking for your experience with guitars of this brands, out of curiosity, no for say which is better than others. I'm happy with my guitars but certainly don't have the chance to pick up all of them.
if i had to choose budget guitars between cort, ibanez and fender, i'd probably choose fender or maybe cort, depending on the individual model. ibanez tends to give the least bang for the buck, going for flashy looks over quality control or tone.

if i had to choose an under-$400 guitar without a brand restriction, i'd probably go for a yamaha F or FG model.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by legion501stup
Recently I bought a Ibanez PF15ECE, because looks nice, good price and sounds good (I don't have many experience with diferents guitars) but came to me the doubt: Which of these brands have the best budget guitars? I know Ibanez have their prestige but I don't know if in their entire catalog of guitars or only in a few ones. I own a Cort, but a electric and is a nice guitar, a CR, copy of a LP but don't know about the acoustics. In the Fender side, really don't like most of their models only in the look, but don't know much about the sound. What can you tell about your experience with these brands and in general about the quality of their products (refering to the guitars as a product in this case)? Like or dislike?, fell in love with o hated so much?
Isn't asking about other guitars and brands now, sort of like locking the barn after the horse is stolen? Since, as you've pointed out, you wouldn't be able to afford another, at least for now.

I have two Ibanez acoustics, they're nicely made, but the sound doesn't do a whole lot to draw me toward playing them, at least as compared to my Fender and Epiphone.

As Patti points out, the bang for the buck isn't there. One was $330.00, the other $400.00, and they're both all laminate.....
Last edited by Captaincranky at Feb 3, 2015,
I own a very cheap Oscar Schmidt acoustic, looks nice and sound OK but the action is very high and is hard to play it. Is supposed to be a folk guitar but don't know. Is the bad thing of buy a guitar online
I've played several Oscar Schmidt acoustics, liked every one of them. It's not that hard to lower the saddle and get the action a little better, that would improve it a lot. Check into the setup thread.

I have a Cort hollowbody electric, CL1500, love it, looks gorgeuos, sounds good and plays great, very well built. My comments about it and letting him play it prompted a friend to buy a Cort acoustic, he loves it.

With all of them...Fender, Ibanez, Cort, Epiphone, Yamaha, and Washburn (yeah don't write Washburn off) you have to be a little picky. Some are excellent. Some are mediocre at best. The guitar in my avatar is a early 90's Fender Squier Strat, my favorite guitar, I'll never ever let it go. I'd give anything to get my Epiphone acoustic back that was stolen in Austin around 1987 or so...and I've played a lot of Epiphones in music stores and pawn shops I really liked, some I didn't. Ibanez made very good guitars early on, the past 10 years or so they seem to be going for guitars they can sell to the masses at cheap prices rather than the kind of quality and tone they got in their early years. I'd be really picky with Ibanez. Same for the cheaper Fenders, you can be a little less picky with their higher end guitars. Washburn is one I've always liked, I also regret selling my Washburn BT2 (Billy Thorpe model) Excellent guitar, well made, played as good as my Squier, Cort or Peavey Patriot. There's a sleeper, Peavey Patriot. If you can find one, definitely try it out. I love mine, it's a 84 model, 2 Super Ferrite single coils, body like a Strat, sounds more like a telecaster and plays great. Usually not very expensive either.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Quote by legion501stup
I own a very cheap Oscar Schmidt acoustic, looks nice and sound OK but the action is very high and is hard to play it. Is supposed to be a folk guitar but don't know. Is the bad thing of buy a guitar online

You need to get the action lowered. It might be something as simple as sanding down the saddle which would only take a square block, a measuring device and some sand paper.
Quote by legion501stup

For acoustic guitars I recommend Yamaha in the lower price ranges.
Quote by rohash
You need to get the action lowered. It might be something as simple as sanding down the saddle which would only take a square block, a measuring device and some sand paper.

My fear is setting the saddle too down and make the strings hit the frets, making that horible sound, sorry, I don't know how is call it in english. But an old teacher of a friend of mine make that to her classical guitar, feels more soft to play and very easy but when you are strumming make that noise.
Go a little at a time, check it frequently. That means putting it all back together, it's tedious but it works. Sand the bottom, not the top, it's not easy to keep the radius already formed on top where the strings are. Use 180 to 220 grit sandpaper, no need for really fine stuff on the bottom of the saddle.

If you go too far, use a small strip of plastic to shim it. I use brass shim stock, but not many people have machinist stuff sitting around. Just cut a small strip out the length of the saddle and put under it, that will raise it a little. The clear hard plastic many products are packaged in will work.

What you are describing is called fret buzz. It happens when the strings hit the frets as they vibrate.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Hello Guys,

I am new on the discussion, but I have same question, I am ready to buy a classic electroacustic guitar, I have searched enough about budget, brands. I have years out of the market, I just remember from my early years Yamaha, Ibanez and Martin.

But currently considering my budget, I could afford either Fender CD-60 CE , Ibanez AEG10NII Black and Cort ACC15F Nature. What would you recommend among them??? (obviously I am only on nylon category)

I also found Yamaha CX 40 NT, but I think that price gives indication of bad performance.

I could also afford Admira Juanita-CE, Farida* H16 or Yamaha NCX900R N, but I do not know if it really deserves to pay the price difference for these ones. (compared to the Fender, Ibanez and Cort that I listed before).

Please any recommendation is very welcome.