Got a bass at an auction really cheap because it needed a lot of work. Thanks again for the help and tips. Plays GREAT!. Now I need an amp. Trying to go as inexpensive as possible. I may be able to get a pair of Acoustic pa speakers with a horn and 15 in each. Cheap. Can I hook a bass amp head to one of these and expect decent sound?

Not looking for amp recommendations. Just what to know if this is worth the effort. This will be used for jam sessions and small venues. Right now I’m playing quietly threw my single 12 guitar amp. Really don’t want to do that anymore.

Thanks!
Full range PA speakers should be able to handle the bass just fine. Make sure the amp's and the speakers' wattage and impedance line up, and it should be just dandy.

Edit: Just in case, as I have no idea how much you know about amps and speakers... If they are powered speakers (they have their own amps built in, and have to be plugged into a power outlet), DO NOT plug the speaker output of a bass amp into them. If they're powered, run the LINE OUT from the amp into them, or you could even just plug the bass directly into one of the speakers.

If they're passive speakers, meant to be driven by an amp, then yeah. Check wattage and ohms, and you're golden.
Last edited by the_bi99man at Feb 2, 2015,
Thanks for answering so quickly The Bi99man. Sorry I should have mentioned. Passive and 8 ohms each. Wattage at 350 each cab.
Quote by Cause the Rat
Got a bass at an auction really cheap because it needed a lot of work. Thanks again for the help and tips. Plays GREAT!. Now I need an amp. Trying to go as inexpensive as possible. I may be able to get a pair of Acoustic pa speakers with a horn and 15 in each. Cheap. Can I hook a bass amp head to one of these and expect decent sound?

Not looking for amp recommendations. Just what to know if this is worth the effort. This will be used for jam sessions and small venues. Right now I’m playing quietly threw my single 12 guitar amp. Really don’t want to do that anymore.

Thanks!
you will shred guitar speakers with bass pretty darn quick,but the pa option should work....as long as the thing is crossed over properly.....if in doubt you could open them up and bypass the horn and x overs while you check on the suitability of the 15 s,and the impedance ,which should be wired/re wired to match your bass amp output......no such thing as a bass amp being too big....that's what volume controls are designed to monitor
Last edited by motorcycleboy at Feb 3, 2015,
I don't know the brand as it isn't one that sells well over here. The problem with bass is that to make deep loud noises the speakers have to move back and forth a long way. All speakers have a maximum excursion (Xmax) and if you push them hard then the coil hammers against the back of the magnet destroying the speaker. Excursion for guitars tends to be low so you can't use bass through them at any decent volume.

PA speakers should theoretically take all the instruments and those 15's should have good excursion but some of the really cheap PA speakers around get the price down by having poor excursion, if you only put vocals through it's fine but bass kills them. Decent PA speakers are absolutely fine.

On the plus side PA speakers give you a really clean sound often better than bass speakers. A lot of pro musicians use a dedicated bass pre amp straight into the PA with stage wedges for their sound and that's the sound you'll get. I love that sound so you may never go over to 'proper' bass speakers. It's a well known option for playing bass.
Thanks again for everyone's input. the good news is I've learned something. However the pa speakers sold before I could get back today. At $75 for the pair still in their original boxes it was a sweat deal for someone. So it's off to some good music stores to try out a few amps.
Quote by Cause the Rat
Thanks again for everyone's input. the good news is I've learned something. However the pa speakers sold before I could get back today. At $75 for the pair still in their original boxes it was a sweat deal for someone. So it's off to some good music stores to try out a few amps.

@ $75 bucks a pair they were either real junk or real hot.....probably better you didn't get 'em.....do some shopping..deals are out there ..i just found 2 good k140's in a sunn clone box for 200 bux.....dude was not into unscrewing all 40 something screws in the back panel and i did not know they were jbl's 'til i got them home.....now that's sweeeeet!.....and definitely not a felony
Motorcycleboy, they were donated to our local pantry charity store. Brand new and both still in original boxes. Awesome you came home with a sweet deal.
You need to be a bit careful with PA speakers and bass. DJ-type speakers won't be great bass speakers, even though they tend to be boomy. What you want are speakers that have generally flat response and that won't "fart out" in the bass range.

Take a look at the Carvin LS 1503 for example:

This cabinet has a solid 15" LF driver, a 6" mids driver and a good 1" tweeter with horn. Great dispersion of frequencies, decent crossovers, good power handling (up to 800W). And cheap (relatively) at $279. It actually makes a very good bass speaker cabinet. I've seen players with a pair of these and a 1500W head doing a pretty good job (and better than a lot of cabinets built by dedicated bass manufacturers for a lot more money).

It can be improved upon, however. While the Carvin's 15" is good, it *can* be made to fart out. And it doesn't have the Xmax that some other really good 15" low frequency drivers have, etc.

A designer named Dave Green took this general concept to a whole new level using newer and higher-end drivers. He replaced the low frequency driver with the neo-based Eminence Kappalite 3015LF, a 15" speaker with almost freaky excursion limits. He replaced the 6.5" mids driver with an 18Sound driver that has huge power handling, and he uses a 1" driver similar to what's in the Carvin. Most importantly, however, he redesigned the cabinet from one which uses heavy plywood for stiffness to one which uses lighter, thinner plywood with more bracing (a DIY-er actually used pine on some bits of this one, which is definitely not recommended):

and he readjusted the interior volume, boxed in the 6.5" driver and changed the port dimensions. The result is the fEARful 15/6/1, a cabinet which is lighter, louder, lower and less likely to fart out, and one that you can build yourself (see Speakerhardware.com for components and kits). This cabinet *can* be sourced complete from authorized builders, and it will run you closer to $1100 (though much less if you build it). The cabinet will come in at around 50 lbs (the LS1503 is around 58). While the two have a definite family resemblance, one is an accountant, the other a world-class athlete. Oh, and you can definitely customize it: