Page 1 of 2
I've come to the conclusion that nowadays laugh tracks take away the realism in sitcoms and when the characters pause for the canned laughter it somewhat gives away that they know they're in a fictional TV show.. I feel like shitty sitcoms like T&AHM and TBBT rely on super loud laugh tracks to hide the fact that there are no jokes in the show.

Now, I know the original purpose of a laugh track in sitcoms was to give the shows a "Broadway" feeling for those who didn't live in NYC and couldn't see the plays. But honestly, what's Broadway about Two and a Half Men? **** that show
Hahahahahahaha
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
I use them as a cue to laugh so I don't make people feel like I don't like the show they're watching sometimes.

They're invaluable really.
One of the third friendliest users
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis
Void is a wanker that's why

there's a few good shows with laugh tracks.. that 70s show and how i met your mother come to mind. but both have had many moments where lines that barely qualify as jokes had obnoxious audience laugh responses and become annoying

some shows like the office or flight of the concords go to the complete opposte direction and use the awkward silence to their advantage and caus the viewer to laugh more in circumstances then they might normally. its up to the show runners to decide whats suitable for the show more
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
All of those were recorded in the 50s.

Most of the people creating that laughter are dead.
58-32 NFL Thread Pick Em.
^ now that's funny
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
Seinfeld is good
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
True true, TS. Two shows I can think of that work really well partly because of the absence of canned laughter are 30 Rock and The Office. Only show I can think of where the fake laughs kinda work (or don't not work) is Seinfeld. But I don't really watch many sitcoms.
Mr Bean (while not really a sitcom) was pre-recorded and shown to an actual audience and they recorded the laughter. faux canned laughter
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Quote by MeTallIcA313
No laugh track can trick me into thinking The Big Bang Theory is funny.

I couldn't agree more.

The laugh track is one of the reasons (but by far not the only reason) why I hate that Big Bang Theory so much.
Sheldon says something vaguely scientific that's not funny if you understand it, but most people don't --> audience laughs
Sheldon says, 'Bazinga!' --> audience laughs (seriously people?)
Sheldon walks into the room --> audience laughs (ok, just piss off)

Quote by mind_meld
Only show I can think of where the fake laughs kinda work (or don't not work) is Seinfeld.

It's also the only show where it kind of makes sense sometimes because he is performing jokes as a stand-up comedian in front of an audience in the show.
In Seinfeld I kind of don't even notice the laugh track when I watch it. But I'm only commenting to thank you for your hatred of those two aforementioned shows.
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
Why the hell would I want to watch a realistic sitcom?

Half an hour of people being boring cunts. Whoop-di-****ing-doo.
I've come to the conclusion that nowadays laugh tracks take away the realism in sitcoms and when the characters pause for the canned laughter it somewhat gives away that they know they're in a fictional TV show.

Because that's totally the only thing sitcoms do that gives away that it is a tv show...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFX1NtxkqcE
Quote by CV334

Sir, the contents of my mouth just blew all over my keyboard, desk, and part of my monitor. For the record, it was slightly chewed Keebler cookies and coffee slurry.

The average pitmonkey's response to my jokes.

Most of the shows with laugh are filmed in front of a studio audience (that's TBBT's audience in front of their set.)

If you want to find out if the show ios using a laugh track or a live studio audience, try this:

1) Go to http://www/google.com

2) type [insert name of TV show] studio audience (example, for the above I typed "Big Bang Theory Studio Audience")

3) Profit
Last edited by jugglingfreak at Feb 3, 2015,
Quote by Crofty89
Because that's totally the only thing sitcoms do that gives away that it is a tv show...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFX1NtxkqcE

That crawl across the linoleum tho...
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
They should just have a massive 'LOL' appear in the middle of the screen for every joke
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
Quote by steve_muse
They should just have a massive 'LOL' appear in the middle of the screen for every joke

I think it should be more in the style of the POW! BAM! ZONK! from Batman's greatest incarnation - the 1960's TV show.
Quote by jugglingfreak

Most of the shows with laugh are filmed in front of a studio audience (that's TBBT's audience in front of their set.)

If you want to find out if the show ios using a laugh track or a live studio audience, try this:

1) Go to http://www/google.com

2) type [insert name of TV show] studio audience (example, for the above I typed "Big Bang Theory Studio Audience")

3) Profit

I already knew that TBBT is filmed infront of a live audience, which in my opinion makes it even more sad.
Seinfeld is probably the only good show with one tbh

I could probably think of a good 20-30 comedies that I like more than the next show I like with a laugh track or studio audience.
Quote by APileOfDeadCops
I already knew that TBBT is filmed infront of a live audience, which in my opinion makes it even more sad.

But you specifically said in your original post:

Quote by APileOfDeadCops
I feel like shitty sitcoms like T&AHM and TBBT rely on super loud laugh tracks to hide the fact that there are no jokes in the show.

If you already knew it, why would you deliberately misrepresent it in your argument?

(Two and a Half Men is also filmed before a studio audience: http://www.tvtickets.com/fmi/xsl/shows/browserecord.xsl?&Show=two+men)
APileOfDeadCops is so slow on eveything that he is like a Pit Monkey circa 2007.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Quote by APileOfDeadCops
You're making an argument out of nothing, just stop.

No, you said they rely on laugh tracks, but they have live studio audiences, then you claim you already knew that which makes your entire thread pointless.
Too be fair, the audience for TBBT is probably qued when to laugh with laugh signs, so they aren't genuine laughs. That's the point I'm getting at.
I misread the title and I thought it was going to be about stand-up comedians pausing for the laugh tracks.
everyone pulls out seinfeld as the go-to exception for laugh tracks*, but seinfeld is like 20 years old. sitcoms sans laugh-track is a relatively recent trend. like, people will cite the simpsons' lack of a laugh track as something that marked it as unique at the time. so i think dragging seinfeld into the debate is stupid & anachronistic. you cannot talk about seinfeld like it is a contemporary of the office or 30 rock &c.

all of this is to say that i don't think that liking seinfeld & finding laugh tracks obtrusive & passe are irreconcilable opinions, & you don't have to trot out the former every time someone brings up the latter.

*for simplicity's sake, i'm referring to audience laughter as well.
tbf, all of the CBS comedies that use a laugh track or audience laughter are watched waaaaaaay more than any of the single camera sitcoms, outside of like Modern Family

They're all just terrible so no one under 40 talks about them, lol
honestly, the laughter is hardly the most objectionable element of the big bang theory &c., so i am not even sure we are giving audience laughter a fair shake.
Quote by pb15994
I couldn't agree more.

The laugh track is one of the reasons (but by far not the only reason) why I hate that Big Bang Theory so much.
Sheldon says something vaguely scientific that's not funny if you understand it, but most people don't --> audience laughs
Sheldon says, 'Bazinga!' --> audience laughs (seriously people?)
Sheldon walks into the room --> audience laughs (ok, just piss off)

Defiantly agree.

I not even trying to sound 2edgy for hating the show, I generally just don't understand why people think it's funny. I'v seen quite a few episodes and I'll maybe at most crack a smile once or twice per episode. It's just a bad show that uses laugh tracks to hide the lack of real jokes.
Quote by APileOfDeadCops
Too be fair, the audience for TBBT is probably qued when to laugh with laugh signs, so they aren't genuine laughs. That's the point I'm getting at.

*That's the straw you're reaching for.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Page 1 of 2