Hi,

I'm a bit of a noob with gear, so I apologise for not really knowing, but I need some help.

The machine heads on my Squier Bullet Strat that I purchased in 2013 have worn out and need replacing. Having looked online, I can see that you can end having to make the holes bigger, and some people have had their replacement ones hang over towards the fretboard etc. I'd like to have as little hassle as possible, but obviously if I have to i'll accept i'll have to make the holes bigger.

Basically, I don't really know what I'm looking for, but I need replacement tuners. I don't want to spend loads, because it's a pretty cheap guitar. Can anyone help me know what I need, or like the perfect replacement?

I've attached some pics of the current ones.

Thanks in advance.

What you have are vintage style tuners and most new tuners need a 10mm hole.

This is easy to do with a drill and a 10mm bit. You drill from the back of the headstock to the front. make sure you put maski8ng tape over the holes first to stop the wood from splintering.

then you can fit some nicer tuners on the guitar. I use these types and I have no issues and they work very well
www.guitarfetish.com/Now-STAGGERED-Gotoh-style-Locking-Tuners-Sperzel-Style-String-Lock-_p_514.html

They do have vintage style tuners that are a direct swap but I have no experience with them.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I agree except for one thing, drill from the front to back.. If you splinter a little the new tuners will cover it, if you splinter the front side, the grommets might not cover it. Any splintering is most likely to occur when the drill breaks out the back side as you drill it, not the side you start from. Masking tap eon both sides is a good idea.

If you aren't good with woodworking, either practice on some scrap wood before starting, by drilling a smaller hole then resizing it, or take it to a guitar tech to have it drilled out.

Also if you end up using that type tuners in the future, a drop of 3 in 1 oil once or twice a year will keep them working well for a long time. The ones on my 1966 Harmony are over 30 years old...A small dab of light grease, like fishing reel grease, will work too. Use very little, it doesn't take much. A little oil is good but a lot is not great...
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Quote by Paleo Pete
I agree except for one thing, drill from the front to back.. If you splinter a little the new tuners will cover it, if you splinter the front side, the grommets might not cover it. Any splintering is most likely to occur when the drill breaks out the back side as you drill it, not the side you start from. Masking tap eon both sides is a good idea.

If you aren't good with woodworking, either practice on some scrap wood before starting, by drilling a smaller hole then resizing it, or take it to a guitar tech to have it drilled out.

Also if you end up using that type tuners in the future, a drop of 3 in 1 oil once or twice a year will keep them working well for a long time. The ones on my 1966 Harmony are over 30 years old...A small dab of light grease, like fishing reel grease, will work too. Use very little, it doesn't take much. A little oil is good but a lot is not great...

No go back to front, but don't go all the way through the front this leaves a smaller hole that helps keep the tuner more stable
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
9.14mm (give or take for the place after the decimal) tuners you'll need.

6 inline right handed models
vintage style grovers
kluson
certain sperzel tuners
you don't need to widen the holes to 10mm for some cheap guitarfetish or ebay tuners

I had a ton of those tuners laying around and ended up giving them to my friend who is very popular on soundclick
Quote by Tallwood13
9.14mm (give or take for the place after the decimal) tuners you'll need.

6 inline right handed models
vintage style grovers
kluson
certain sperzel tuners
you don't need to widen the holes to 10mm for some cheap guitarfetish or ebay tuners

I had a ton of those tuners laying around and ended up giving them to my friend who is very popular on soundclick

The GFS tuners (sperzel style and the Gotoh style locking tuners are cheap, but they are good quality.
Kluson tuners are in my experience a step above shit
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Thanks everyone, think I'll go for those ones you linked and be careful with any drilling if necessary. Unless anyone else posts any more help soon