Hello,

I've been using a Fender Squire Strat for years now, and I'm also using a Fender amp, and lately I've been trying to learn solos off songs. I see 3 knobs, treble, middle, and bass, and each can be altered from a value from 1 - 10.

Now I'm really basic on these kinds of things and I don't know how to change them such that it gives me a clean, sort of rich sound. Right now whenever I play with the settings it gives me that grungy, rough feeling that's good for palm muting power chords but I don't want that. Any idea how I can go about it
Switching to the middle or neck pickups will help a lot.

Those are the EQ knobs, set them to the 12o'clock position and play while adjusting each one up or down to get a sound your happy with.

Does it have a gain knob? if it does it may have a little switch to change from clean to distortion.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
What is the exact amp model that you have?

Someone who owns or has used the same amp might be able to give you more exact advice but here's some general advice:

For the Treble, middle and bass knobs, start off by setting them all to 5

Do you have gain and volume knobs too? - What have you got them set to?

If so, a high gain setting is more likely to be giving you the distorted sound you are hearing.
Try reducing the gain value to about 2 or 3 then used the volume knob to compensate for the loss of volume that you'll probably have. You should get a cleaner sound that way.

Then you can play around with the treble, middle and bass knobs to tweak the sound how you want.
@Robbgnarly Oh really? Thanks! I will try that method out. And yes, I have gain set at 5 right now, and I'm in distortion mode.

@WeZ-84 I'm using a Fender 15R amp. Right now my treble/middle/bass is at 7/4/4. My gain is at 5 and volume is at 2. I'll try your advice, thanks!
Also, if you have a 'dirty' sound that you like, you can also get a cleaner sound by rolling the volume control on your guitar back.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Oh I forgot to mention, I have this knob called reverb, but I usually keep it at 1, it has to do with 'echo' right?
Quote by Acousticmon
@Robbgnarly Oh really? Thanks! I will try that method out. And yes, I have gain set at 5 right now, and I'm in distortion mode.

@WeZ-84 I'm using a Fender 15R amp. Right now my treble/middle/bass is at 7/4/4. My gain is at 5 and volume is at 2. I'll try your advice, thanks!

Just realize, with that amp your not going to get a very good sound from the dirty channel. I have used my daughters a few times when I want to jam at home and it isn't a good sounding amp.
How long have you been playing? It might be a good time to get a better sounding amp if you have the budget for something
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Acousticmon

If you want it to be clean then you don't want to be in distortion mode.

Also try positions 2 and 4 on the pickup selector as they arguably sound best for clean tones.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I agree to turn off the distortion channel, run through the clean channel, it's a lot better for clean sounds. I also agree with setting all tone (EQ) knobs at 5 and start from there, dial it in to something you like from that point.

I use mostly the middle pickup when playing my Strat, when I was using solid state practice amps I usually had the tone controls set for

Bass 7
Mids 5
Treble 5 to 7 depending on the amp.

Clean channel shouldn't have a gain setting, just volume...wherever you like it.
Distortion channel I usually found for practice at home gain around 5 to 7, volume wherever I wanted it. That will not be clean though...
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Quote by steven seagull
If you want it to be clean then you don't want to be in distortion mode.

Also try positions 2 and 4 on the pickup selector as they arguably sound best for clean tones.

+1

also you can roll down the volume on your guitar if it's not getting clean enough, that will reduce distortion before it reduces volume (it only really reduces volume if you're already playing clean).

but yeah using the clean channel will likely help if you want a cleaner tone. odds are that will sort it without any other fiddling. and keep the gain lower and the volume higher (vice-versa for when you want distortion at lower volumes).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?