Hi all...new to the forum here.

I recently started playing in a dual guitar rock band. both of us will be sharing the leads.
The other guitarist has an amp with a footswitch that shifts to something like 4 different channels--clean1/clean2, OD1/OD2. When he needs to solo, he clicks a button to go to OD2, which is simply turned up a notch or two(maybe with a slight midrange boost as well), but that really gives his solos what they need to cut through.

My amp head, a Marshall DSL100H, does not have a fancy footswitch like this. Ive looked and looked for a compatible footswitch that will allow me to switch from the amps gain1/gain2 channel WITHOUT physically pushing the button on the amp, but can find NOTHING.

So, i turned to boost pedals. First one i tried was the MXR 10 band EQ, with a 12 decibel boost to volume and gain on it. However, the boost seems to increase my volume sooooo little, however it makes my guitar feed-back at unplayable levels. result: useless and annoying. Further, my 2013 Les Paul Trad Pro has a push/pull tone knob which is a 10Decibel boost. As with the MXR, nobody in the band can even tell a difference in volume, and once again, my feedback gets out of control.

Unless someone has a great idea for a boost in this manner, i think i've learned that a boost pedal is a failed idea. Would i be wrong? Because it seems like exactly what i need! But it sucks!

The next thing i am considering trying is a volume pedal like the ernie ball VPJR. My idea is to keep the pedal slightly rocked backwards (for exmple, at an 8, per se), and when i solo, to just kick the pedal all the way forward. When solo ends, kick it back slightly to the 8. Would this even work?? or Would the volume pedal turn down my gain just like the volume knobs on a guitar do?

Sorry, this is long, i'm lost! if anyone has any advice, or if anyone knows a footswitch that is compatible with my amp, a good boost pedal, a better way to increase my volume in any way...or even a way to mod my amp (id have it done professionally) i am ALL EARS.

Thank you so much for reading.

-Alex
An Overdrive pedal. You would use it as a clean boost. Set the Tone and Level to full and the Gain to where you want it. Then when you solo just stomp on it
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
But wouldnt that only make me 'louder' if i had the gain on the pedal higher than the gain on my amp? Or if said overdrive pedal had a volume knob?

Maybe im just a fool who doesnt know much about an overdrive since ive never used one x)

Also would it be crucial to use overdrive and NOT distortion in that case?

Thanks so much for your reply.
-Alex
Have you tried an EHX Soul Food?
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by lucky1978
Have you tried an EHX Soul Food?

I havent tried much of anything outside various footswitches and boost pedals
Are you putting your boost before the amp or in an effects loop? If the former, put the boost in the effects loop. Putting a boost before the amp just really thickens your breakup/saturation, rather than a db boost.

Also, use a clean boost, rather than an overdrive, EQ, or volume pedal. Overdrives can just lead to more saturation, EQ's are really just for fine-tuning your frequency space, and a volume pedal is so variable you can potentially be way too soft or way too loud. :/ You want a 0 or 100 variable for sure uniformity, rather than 0 to 100.
Last edited by Will Lane at Feb 3, 2015,
An overdrive will work great, whether it boosts distortion or saturation depends on how you set it. What Fryder said is right, if you set the volume high and the gain to the volume level you want, an overdrive should not introduce any extra distortion. Mine is a Marshall Bluesbreaker, I can set the gain to 8 and still not add any distortion. It only starts to distort after it hits 9 to 10. (10 is all the way and is pretty close to a distortion pedal) I use it most of the time set to around 7 or 8 and the volume so it gives me a good enough volume boost for leads, and it just increases the volume of the amp without adding distortion.

You can also get a clean boost pedal, that would work, but I like an overdrive better, it also seems to get me better sustain and tone too. Don't use an overdrive in an effects loop, put it between guitar and amp.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Try an EHX LPB-1. It's a very simple boost. Certainly isn't a 100% clean boost (adds a little bit of bass and cuts some high-end frequencies, but increases fattness), but it will only cost you $40 new or $25-$30 used.

EHX Soul Food is a similar idea but with different color and more tonal options rather than just louder.

OR you can try a Fulltone FD-3 which is an OD pedal and a boost pedal combined. Unlike with the FD-2, the boost is independent. You can set it before or after the OD and it has a dynamics knob to help ease high-end shrillness. You could use the FD-3's OD channel as a clean boost as well. It's a very flexible pedal.
Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe RI
Schecter C-1 Artist II
1978 Music Man HD130
+ a bunch of neat pedals

screamy emo band
Quote by Paleo Pete

You can also get a clean boost pedal, that would work, but I like an overdrive better, it also seems to get me better sustain and tone too. Don't use an overdrive in an effects loop, put it between guitar and amp.

excuse me for being a fool, but if I've got, for example, a cry baby, a delay pedal, etc; and I wanted to keep the overdrive "out of the effects loop" and "between guitar and amp" how would I do that and still have all my effects pedals hooked up?

Thanks everyone for the replies
Guitar > Cry Baby > Overdrive > Amp

In the Effects loop, put the delay.

Like I mentioned before, using the overdrive as a boost in front of the amp rather than in the effects loop can lead to just extra saturation, although it is possible for a before-amp boost to raise the db level if you're careful. I suggest using the boost in the effects loop.
wait wait wait...

There's something I don't understand. You have a 100 watt marshall DSL and the MXR 12 band EQ didn't help you cut through the mix at all?

Neither did your 10db boost on your guitar?

Could you tell us how your EQ is set on your amp and how you set it up on yourpedal?

As someone mentionned, did you try your EQ in the loop or in front of the amp? If you still have the EQ, I'd say go right away try it in the loop.

Don't scoop your mids on the amp or the EQ pedal and raise the gain on the EQ just a bit at a time. That pedal is a BEAST. It is very surprising that you got no effect.

This is how you plug pedals in the loop:

http://www.jamplay.com/articles/5-guides/182-signal-chain-a-look-at-effects-routing-part-1
http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/the-tone-garage/the-ins-outs-of-effects-loops/

My advice for now would be to not rush out to buy more pedals until you make sure you are EQ'ed right and you try the MXR in the loop
Quote by flexiblemile
wait wait wait...

There's something I don't understand. You have a 100 watt marshall DSL and the MXR 12 band EQ didn't help you cut through the mix at all?

Neither did your 10db boost on your guitar?

Could you tell us how your EQ is set on your amp and how you set it up on yourpedal?

As someone mentionned, did you try your EQ in the loop or in front of the amp? If you still have the EQ, I'd say go right away try it in the loop.

Don't scoop your mids on the amp or the EQ pedal and raise the gain on the EQ just a bit at a time. That pedal is a BEAST. It is very surprising that you got no effect.

This is how you plug pedals in the loop:

http://www.jamplay.com/articles/5-guides/182-signal-chain-a-look-at-effects-routing-part-1
http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/the-tone-garage/the-ins-outs-of-effects-loops/

My advice for now would be to not rush out to buy more pedals until you make sure you are EQ'ed right and you try the MXR in the loop

My EQ is pretty solid, esp. for my taste. we go for a classic aerosmith/zepp kinda tone. Scratchier GNR style at some times.
I definitely cut through with that head. no doubt. What I need is a boost for when I go into lead parts. For example, if both of us guitarists are at 8 volume, when the other guitar goes into a solo he switches channels to OD2 which he ahs at like, a 9 or 9.5 or whatever. I need something to serve a similar function. Its not that I don't cut through, its that I need something to boost me even more for solos, without reaching back to the amp and manually turning up my volume haha.
^this....I don't think the solution lies in trying different types of boost/ OD's at all...I think you might have the pedal in the wrong place (i.e. in front of the amp)...just try placing your boost in the FX loop...you'll probably find your problem is solved and you have a load of volume boost to play with (also check the EQ, perhaps you could start with everything at 12 o'clock and experiment with the volume boost from there)
Quote by 18WCleanBoost
^this....I don't think the solution lies in trying different types of boost/ OD's at all...I think you might have the pedal in the wrong place (i.e. in front of the amp)...just try placing your boost in the FX loop...you'll probably find your problem is solved and you have a load of volume boost to play with (also check the EQ, perhaps you could start with everything at 12 o'clock and experiment with the volume boost from there)

By te way flexiblemile, those links were very helpful.

This basically cleared it up big time for me (putting it in the fx loop)

Thanks so much