I've found a 2008 Classic vibe 50's Strat (squire) that i'm thinking about buying.

It has some updates done to it...But i'm wanting to know how people like these guitars. I've seen some pretty good reviews about them. From what I understand is that they have an Alder body just like the American strats, and also a gloss coated neck?

Updates to this guitar are:
- Fender Standard Stratocaster Bridge with full size block and stamped saddles
- Fender USA Hot Alnico 3 pickups
- Fender USA POTS, Switch, and electronics

Couple questions I have though.

Is the tuning stability going to be comparable to an American strat with the updated bridge?

What are opinions on the Alnico 3 pickups?

Any input from someone who knows this stuff would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
The Squier Classic Vibe Strats are pretty good guitars. They do have alder bodies, but that doesn't say much. It's only a species of wood. The actual grade of the wood matters more, and that's hardly ever stated in the specs so you will have to guess that a more expensive guitar is made from better wood. The neck is gloss with a vintage tint, much like many other Fender guitars across all price-ranges and it has a similar profile to the American made Fenders - maybe a little thinner.

The upgrades are certainly good, but it can also depend on who did them. They're only as good as the hand that soldered them in place in the end, if that job was butched who knows what wiring problems you can run into. I haven't tried the actual pickups, so I can't help you there but Fender make good single-coils in general.

The bridge isn't an American Standard 2-point (would be a much larger mod) but the 6-point from the MIM Standard so I don't know why you're comparing it to an American Strat. Tuning stability has a lot more to do with the nut than the bridge however. I don't know if it is that much better than what comes stock on the Classic Vibes however - but a full size block is definitely an improvement if it originally came with a smaller one.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Great. Thank you. The seller did claim that the updated bridge is the same that you would have in the American strat...I'll maybe ask him again to make sure...
No the tuning stability will not be comparable to an American standard, but if you spend some money on new tuning pegs/machine heads it'll be a lot closer.

The CVs are really fantastic for their price point. the mods done look great, but like dude above me said they'll only be as good as whoever installed them. It'll sound noticeably better for sure, and the full size block will make it feel ever so slightly better (imo) too.

I would test it out before buying obviously but it's looking like a really good guitar. With new tuners it'll be at least as good, if not better than your typical MIM strat.

If it's priced $300-$350 or less id pull the trigger.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Sounds like a good guitar. In my experience tuners and a good nut will make a huge difference. I put Fender locking tuners on my knockoff strat and it holds really well. My TUSQ nut was probably the best improvement I've ever put on a guitar.
Quote by Acϵ♠
No the tuning stability will not be comparable to an American standard, but if you spend some money on new tuning pegs/machine heads it'll be a lot closer.

The CVs are really fantastic for their price point. the mods done look great, but like dude above me said they'll only be as good as whoever installed them. It'll sound noticeably better for sure, and the full size block will make it feel ever so slightly better (imo) too.

I would test it out before buying obviously but it's looking like a really good guitar. With new tuners it'll be at least as good, if not better than your typical MIM strat.

If it's priced $300-$350 or less id pull the trigger.

Thank you...One other thing I was wondering about...When he says it has the USA Hot Alnico pick ups...Are there cheaper versions not USA made?
i think you need more info on the upgrades. where exactly did they come from. as mentioned the bridge from an american 2 point wouldn't fit. as for the pickups which fenders are they exactly (model). the other thing is the price. how much. as for tuning stability much of that has to do with the nut and not the trem itself.
Ya the bridge thing is a bit of a red flag, it could be that he is misinformed, or really did do the amount of work required, but if he's lying about it i would run away from the deal as fast as possible.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

Here are photos of the bridge...Anyone able to verify which one it is?
Last edited by tsg31t at Feb 3, 2015,
not an american 2 point for sure. that could be any number of 6 point trems. that guitar came with a similar trem so can't even tell you from that pic if the trem has been changed or if the block has been changed either.
it looks a bit too much like schlep to me. my spidey senses are tingling.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
Bitches be Crazy.

ok a little quick research suggests that the guitar pictured isn't a classic vibe 50s. they don't come in black as far as i know or have a black pickguard. the stock pickups are listed as alnico 3s. knowing this i think the seller is trying to bullshit you.
He did state that the guitars finish has been changed from the sunburst to the black...So I am aware of that...and the finish isn't perfect by any means either...he claims to have built it to be similar to a Gilmour type Strat...Which is what I like about it...I jsut still learning about Fenders yet...I just bought my first one about 3 weeks ago, and I love it...(American Telecaster) and just wanting to put a Strat in my collection without spending a bunch of $$$.
Last edited by tsg31t at Feb 3, 2015,
Quote by monwobobbo
not an american 2 point for sure. that could be any number of 6 point trems. that guitar came with a similar trem so can't even tell you from that pic if the trem has been changed or if the block has been changed either.

Is it typical for them to only have 3 trem springs?
It's BS. Stay away from that guitar.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
Bitches be Crazy.

Ask him to remove the pickguard and show you the internals. You'll find out pretty quick if it's legit or not.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
Bitches be Crazy.

i'm not sold on what the guy is saying at all. who repaints a guitar that cheap and turns it into a Gilmour. how much doe sthis guy want for it?

oh and 3 springs can be fine you can put up to 5 on
Last edited by monwobobbo at Feb 3, 2015,
Quote by monwobobbo
i'm not sold on what the guy is saying at all. who repaints a guitar that cheap and turns it into a Gilmour. how much doe sthis guy want for it?

oh and 3 springs can be fine you can put up to 5 on

He's asking $299 plus shipping of $30. US Dollars.
Just get a legit classic vibe 50 or 60. They are solid guitars. I've got a Simon Neil Squier. Those pickups are a combination of alnico 3 and 5. All will do you just fine. As far as the guitar you are looking at? I would forget that one.
Quote by tsg31t
He's asking $299 plus shipping of $30. US Dollars.

to much for a questionable guitar. you can find a MIM strat for that.
Quote by monwobobbo
to much for a questionable guitar. you can find a MIM strat for that.

hell I got my best MIM I had ever owned for $175. I have owned around ten. and just have one strat. I have three American teles though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I know you guys are telling me to stay away form this...After doing some more research on these guitars, I decided to pick it up...I'm going to give it a try. I went though and looked at reviews from this guitar, and it's seeming like there are more good reviews for this Classic vibe Squire, than many of the MIM strats...The main reasons I'm wanting to give it a try are the updated USA pickups, the alder body, and the coated neck. It seems to me like I am getting my money worth if I look at it that way. I don't mind that the body was re-finished, the trem did in fact have the "Fender" embossing on the saddles. It may not be an American trem...Not real sure. But the guy has 100% feedback score, and if it has the USA electronics I feel like it might be worth it. I really like the gloss coated C-shape neck on my Tele. So i'm hoping this one is somewhat comparable to that. He did say the fret edges were nice and smooth as well...If worst comes to worse I can always re-sell it...I'll let you guys know!
Quote by tsg31t
I know you guys are telling me to stay away form this...After doing some more research on these guitars, I decided to pick it up...I'm going to give it a try. I went though and looked at reviews from this guitar, and it's seeming like there are more good reviews for this Classic vibe Squire, than many of the MIM strats...The main reasons I'm wanting to give it a try are the updated USA pickups, the alder body, and the coated neck. It seems to me like I am getting my money worth if I look at it that way. I don't mind that the body was re-finished, the trem did in fact have the "Fender" embossing on the saddles. It may not be an American trem...Not real sure. But the guy has 100% feedback score, and if it has the USA electronics I feel like it might be worth it. I really like the gloss coated C-shape neck on my Tele. So i'm hoping this one is somewhat comparable to that. He did say the fret edges were nice and smooth as well...If worst comes to worse I can always re-sell it...I'll let you guys know!

dude believe me when i say this guitar does not have US pickups. i'm also not convinced that it is actually a Classic vibe at all. MIMs are great guitars and have the same pots etc as a US (pickups are different though). your money but i disagree. you asked and i've been playing fenders for a good number of years (being an old fart)
Quote by monwobobbo
dude believe me when i say this guitar does not have US pickups. i'm also not convinced that it is actually a Classic vibe at all. MIMs are great guitars and have the same pots etc as a US (pickups are different though). your money but i disagree. you asked and i've been playing fenders for a good number of years (being an old fart)

I'm not knocking MIM's...It just seemed like it was everything I wanted at a decent price. When I get it, I will pull off the pick guard and find out if they are in fact USA electronics. I'll send you some photos, and if they aren't USA pickups, I'll request a refund...I'm protected by eBay, and Paypal in order to get what is listed...We'll see what happens!
why wouldn't you just ask him to email you closeup photos of the pickups with the pickguard removed instead of taking all the risk and just buying it on a whim? You're not bein smart dude.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
Bitches be Crazy.

Quote by tsg31t
I'm not knocking MIM's...It just seemed like it was everything I wanted at a decent price. When I get it, I will pull off the pick guard and find out if they are in fact USA electronics. I'll send you some photos, and if they aren't USA pickups, I'll request a refund...I'm protected by eBay, and Paypal in order to get what is listed...We'll see what happens!

Seems is kinda the operative word. pix of the pickups will only be good if the of the back of the pickup (need t be removed from guitar) he doesn't really state they are US pickups if you read what your wrote. it may be implyed but that's it. as for the other electronics they can be had pretty cheap so not that big of a selling point.

the paint job may be really iffy as well. it would cost more that the guitar is worth to actually refinish it. this to me makes me wonder. do you have a headstock shot of this guitar?
He did state in the ad that they are Fender USA Alnico 3's...

Here more pics.

This is the close up he sent me in my messages folder. I couldn't get it to download for some reason, so I had to take a picture of a picture...

ok. of course you can't tell about the guts but all i see is a classic vibe that has been poorly repainted. this really ruins the resale value of the guitar for many. personally i'd get a black MIM with a maple neck and just buy a black pickguard and the short trem arm if you really feel the need

ok the only way you can really tell more is to take the guitar apart.
Last edited by monwobobbo at Feb 3, 2015,
Quote by monwobobbo
ok. of course you can't tell about the guts but all i see is a classic vibe that has been poorly repainted. this really ruins the resale value of the guitar for many. personally i'd get a black MIM with a maple neck and just buy a black pickguard and the short trem arm if you really feel the need

ok the only way you can really tell more is to take the guitar apart.

I hear you...I actually kinda like the refinished/relic look to it personally. It really does have that Gilmour look to it in my opinion.
Quote by tsg31t
I hear you...I actually kinda like the refinished/relic look to it personally. It really does have that Gilmour look to it in my opinion.

well once again your money. if you like it that is what counts.
Quote by monwobobbo
well once again your money. if you like it that is what counts.

Yeah...I've pissed away a lot more than $300 on much dumber shi* in my time...I use to own race cars....

I'll like it, if it in fact has USA electronics...Hah.
Lol, that closeup doesn't tell us anything. We'd need actual closeups of the underside of the pickups to see if there are any serial numbers or anything to ID them with
Quote by yellowfrizbee
Bitches be Crazy.

It looks like a poorly refinished Classic Vibe to me at least, but you can get a new one for 379 or something like that. The bridge, pots or the pickups doesn't make it worth more and a refinish will make it almost impossible to sell.

Now, I could get someone picking up a modified guitar in a shop that just speaks to them, but you haven't even played the damn thing. Too risky.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Does'nt the CV 50 come with Alnico 3 pickups? You could probably get 10-15% off the $379 price at GC and have a brand new one for less than what you will pay for this used one with shipping. I also have seen MIM FSR models on ebay and on GC's used website that are based on the Gilmour model. These go for $300 used and about $475 new. Good luck with whatever you get.
Just thought I'd let you all know that I received this guitar, and i'm actually very happy with it...I haven't pulled the pick guard off yet, cause I don't want to remove the strings just yet, they're brand new.

But who ever the guy was who put this guitar together and set it up, knew what he was doing. The guitar showed up to my house in absolute perfect tune. I couldn't believe it actually. The action is set nice and low, intonation is right on...I plugged it in, and gave it a huge dive bomb, and it stayed in perfect tune...(yes, even with then new strings) The neck is perfect, its straight, and the frets along the top and bottom edge of the neck are done perfectly. The neck honest to god feel's as good as my American Standard Tele. The trem has the heavier block (marked with PW-29) The tone is really good. It's not as crystal clear as my Tele, but it's good. As far as the finish goes...On the front side of the guitar it looks factory. There are few blems on the back, and a couple nicks here and there. But it's everything I was expecting and more. I'm going to take a look at the pickups just make sure they are USA made, but I feel like I got my money worth at this. If it didn't say Squire on it...You'd probably never know.
I call that quite a relief... Curious if the pickups are as advertised. HNGD
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one