I'm in the market for a new amplifier and I've fallen in love with the various Mark sounds and I'm really not sure which Mesa Boogie amp I want to get and I really could use some feedback as to which amp would best suit my needs. Usually I play at home, lots of funk and metal but occasionally I do jam with a drummer. So the question is which amp would be worth getting? A Mesa Boogie Mark IVb, a Mesa boogie Mark V 25 or the Mesa boogie Mark V. note the Mark IV and the V25 cost roughly the same. Thanks guys!
IMO the Mark V is a vast improvement over the IV. The Mark IV was the second tube amp I owned, and I wouldn't buy another one to keep. Tone-wise, I much prefer the Mark III for less money (over the Mark IV), but the Mark V is just overall, more versatile, and sounds better in just about every aspect.

Haven't tried the 25w version, so I can't really comment there, but the original head can switch down to 45w and 10w already, if you need it to. I have a problem with all these "mini" heads that are supposed to be high gain. EL84s in the power section can do the sound okay in some instances, but they are totally different in tone than 6L6s or EL34s, as they tend to be more brittle in the high end and lack the balls of their bigger brothers. Why they aren't putting 6V6s in these little amps, instead, I've never really understood.

For your purposes, the EL84s might not be an issue. If you can, try before you buy. Otherwise, I'd lean towards the full-sized head if you can't
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I love my Mark V and would recommend it wholeheartedly, its drawback is that it is a lot of amp to play with. I've had mine for just about a year now, and I don't think I would ever get rid of it. I would read the manual for it, and do as much research as you can into it, just like every piece of gear you're going to buy. In my opinion, the Mark V can do just about everything you want it to do, you just figure out how to set its controls to do so.

The manual: http://www.mesaboogie.com/media/User%20Manuals/MkV_140612.pdf
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame