I'm thinking I'd like to buy a guitar and try the floyd rose tremolo, I've never owned a guitar with a floating bridge. I'm wondering how much room there is with the fine tuners though...I'd like to be able to set-up in drop A# and be able to reach both drop A and drop B; is there enough room to do this? Thanks!
Not a good idea to get a guitar with a Floyd if you want to change tunings. You can't change tuning with the fine tuners. You need to adjust your springs for each tuning in order for the trem to sit properly and function properly.
^ What he said.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Okay, thanks guys. I've watched some tutorials on FR systems, and they do look complicated so that's why I ask. I mainly play in drop Db, so maybe I'll still check one out and just leave it in that tuning and use my current guitar for the lower stuff. How much adjustment is on the fine tuners though, is it less than a half-step? I suppose I could just google that... lol
Quote by J_W
Not a good idea to get a guitar with a Floyd if you want to change tunings. You can't change tuning with the fine tuners. You need to adjust your springs for each tuning in order for the trem to sit properly and function properly.

This is why floyds are a pain.
Just another Sheep in the design of the Almighty Machine.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
Quote by bartSquiggly
Okay, thanks guys. I've watched some tutorials on FR systems, and they do look complicated so that's why I ask. I mainly play in drop Db, so maybe I'll still check one out and just leave it in that tuning and use my current guitar for the lower stuff. How much adjustment is on the fine tuners though, is it less than a half-step? I suppose I could just google that... lol

No, I can get a full step from some of my Floyd-equipped guitars, but that's not the point.

Since a Floyd set up to float (Pull up & Drop) is a constant balance between spring tension and the OVERALL string tension, when you adjust one string on a Floyd, it affects all the others, which is why they need to be tuned as a group, and why the fine tuners are used for only very minor adjustments instead of complete retunings as per your question.

It's not that the answer is "no", it's that the question doesn't actually make sense once you understand the mechanics of the equation.

I note that you COULD technically do this with a Floyd set up ONLY to drop, but it would still be a pain in the ass...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Fallenoath
This is why floyds are a pain.

I love mine, but I keep it in Eb and have other hardtail guitars I can play in other tunings.
I'm working with 7 string Floyd in standard D (one step lower) and setting up was a lot of work, much easier to get a tune-o-matic bridge unless you're dead set on doing dive bombs and the other pizazz that could be only done with a Floyd (or Kahler which is another double locking system).
You can look at baritone guitars or locker scale guitars which are specially made for the lower tunings.
Quote by bartSquiggly

I wouldn't say Floyds are particularly complicated, it's just a matter of the variables involved. Essentially you've got seven values you want to balance - each string and the springs. Adjusting each affects all the others and there's not really a surefire way (that I know of) to get one (ideally the springs) to the correct point beforehand so you only have to bring the rest to the point of balance with it.

In other words changing tuning, string gauge or just about anything on a Floyd means a lengthy process of trial and error which basically just isn't worth the effort if you're doing it on a regular basis and not getting paid.

If you want to retune regularly and want a Floyd - the two things not being wholly compatible - get a tremol-no. You can use it to block the trem's movement really easily if you want to retune (though you couldn't use the trem in that tuning without adjusting properly). As far as I know, they do the job well, but not having used one I can't personally vouch for it.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one