Yo all
I have been searching for a PRS Mira for a while now (one of the early models, not S2) and I finally found one i really like. I just noticed it is a Maple Top model (mahogany body/flamed maple top) and this is different form the other Miras which are all mahogany. What kind of tonal differences can I expect to see? I heard the Maple will make it a bit brighter, could it be a drastic difference or something only an audiophile would notice?
Thanks
CoReY
Its only going to make a very minor difference. Maple does have a higher density than mahogany, so it will sound slightly brighter. But I do mean only slightly. If you put a ton of effects on top of your guitar or use a lot of distortion, you're probably not going to hear a difference. If you have the expectation that the guitar is going to sound brighter, it may well do as we're talking such small differences that the placebo effect becomes a factor.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Feb 3, 2015,
Quote by scottco86
What kind of tonal differences can I expect to see?

Little to none.
The difference the woods make will be magnified by the amp you're using. If you run the maple top through a Fender Twin or something like that it'll sound noticeably different than the mahogany top through the same amp (im speaking from experience) but if it was run through a 6505 or something you would notice little to no difference.

If you do notice a difference, it will be in the higher frequencies. Maple tops will bring them out ever so slightly more than a mahogany top.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
depending on the rest of your rig, maybe.

i can usually tell the difference on a LP, but never tried on a mira.

the difference is nothing the twist of a "treble" knob on your amp won't compensate for.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020

the difference is nothing the twist of a "treble" knob on your amp won't compensate for.

that is all it boils down to if at all.

I don't like flamed maple tops and would go mahogany, they are too gaudy for me.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup

I don't like flamed maple tops and would go mahogany, they are too gaudy for me.

Purely out of curiosity, how do you feel about birdseyes, burls or spalts?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Purely out of curiosity, how do you feel about birdseyes, burls or spalts?

i like plain tops best. i don't mind birds eye's on necks, that is cool. spalts are beautiful if done right.

my main issue with tops is actually PRS... lol. its too gaudy for my liking. if i buy a PRS, it would be black or gold. it is just my preference.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I have a Mira with a maple top (and bird outlines on the fretboard) and there is little difference to the tone. The flames in the top are not very gaudy. PRS seems to reserve the more dramatic tops for their more expensive guitars. Its a great guitar to have. Good luck.