Hi everyone, I recently bought a telecaster thinline guitar off ebay and it isn't marked in any way I can see. Such as a name on the headstock or something on the back where the neck is bolted on. What are the most common places where a maker may hide there mark?

Thanks
So.... Don't you think this question would've been better to ask BEFORE you bought it since you can't even identify what it is? For all you know, you wasted a bunch of cash...

Is it a Fender? A Squier? Old or New? You didn't specify. Do you have pictures of the guitar?

That's a Fender thinline headstock. Bullet style truss rod, Gold and black Fender font, F style tuners and pat number in small print under the Fender part of the logo.

Body should be 4 bolt with the micro-tilt (later ones might be 3 bolt). Might be stamped in the pocket too. If it's an RI it probably won't have the micro tilt but I don't know for sure.

I'm not an expert though, so I'm sure somebody will chip in with better info.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Feb 3, 2015,
There should be a serial number somewhere on the instrument; probably on the back of the neck. If there are no markings on the neck, it may have been replaced. Popping off the neck will probably reveal a date of manufacture; but only if it is an original Fender neck. A replacement neck might have the manufacturer's logo, but then again, it might not.

If your Thinline Telecaster has a traditional single coil pickup in the bridge position, then there should be a stamping in the bridge plate that says "Fender." Some Thinline Telecasters with humbuckers also have the Fender logo stamped into the metal pickup covers.

Pictures would certainly help.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
hello,
first of all, Excuse my english i am from Algeria.
So here I found a Stratocaster on on a website ( ebay of Algeria ) that I want to buy. but I 'm not sure of its authenticity, the guy says it's an american special but i am not sure. I leave you the link.
http://www.ouedkniss.com/fender%C2%A0stratocaster-alger-draria-algerie-loisirs-divertissements-d6153756
if anyone can help me I will be really grateful, seen in Algeria we can't found informations on this topic
thank's
Quote by amptlemcen
hello,
So here I found a Stratocaster on on a website ( ebay of Algeria ) that I want to buy. but I 'm not sure of its authenticity, the guy says it's an american special but i am not sure. I leave you the link.
http://www.ouedkniss.com/fender%C2%A0stratocaster-alger-draria-algerie-loisirs-divertissements-d6153756
if anyone can help me I will be really grateful, seen in Algeria we can't found informations on this topic
thank's

Comprenez-vous français? Dans l'affirmative , cette guitare ressemble à un vrai Strato et le numéro de série correspond à un guitare faite en l'an 2000. ( Comment dites-vous " pickups " ? les micros ? ) Ils sont Samarium Cobalt Noiseless ( ou " Vintage Noiseless ", même chose). Mais, cette n'est pas un American Special. Les American Specials ne ont pas été fait jusqu'à ce 2010. De plus, la tête ( comment dites-vous " headstock " ? ), il est la mauvaise forme. Aussi, le chevalet est incorrect. Il devrait être cet:

pas cet:

Je ne sais pas ce modèle qui est la guitare, mais il semble correcte sauf pour le chevalet.

Désolé, il a été longtemps depuis que je ai écrit en français.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by amptlemcen
hello,
thank's

The American Special Stratocaster does not come stock with Fender Noiseless single-coil pickups. It comes with Texas Special pickups. The guitar in your pictures has the Noiseless pickups. The American Special Stratocaster headstock comes with the large, 1970's style Fender logo decal. The one in the pictures has the small Fender logo decal. The serial number on the guitar in the picture is in the wrong location, also. And the guitar in your picture has "Fender" engraved on the neck plate, and it has a hole for the old Micro-Tilt neck adjustment. The American Special Stratocaster does not have either of those features.

I strongly believe that the guitar in your pictures is a fake Fender. I suggest that you do not purchase it.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley