Hey guys (and gals). I recently sold my tubemeister 18 to a friend. I just couldn't get the sound out of it i was looking for after changing tubes and adding a clean boost pedal. I jam occasionally but never has to be loud and i would like a small low wattage tube amp. I will consider anything but im really looking for a thicker metal tone than what the tubemeister was offering. In the end it might have been the speaker being a 10" but from what i've heard out of the randall rd5c with a 10" it sounds like it has plenty of this gain!

I am seriously considering picking one of these up but i just wanted some other opinions on other options. Ive looked into the Ht-5, ht-5 metal, marshal dsl5c but i think the randall had the best high gain tone to my ears. I live in rural Saskatchewan, Canada and no stores stock much of anything closer than 3 hours away. My budget is around $500 give or take. Play lots of Metallica, Slipknot, Opeth, Tool, Meshuggah and dabble into lower gain stuff too.

I've read through lots of forums and read about other options and modelling options but i have a pod hd500 to play around with if i want. I just want something to play out loud that sounds fantastic on its own. I considered the ht-5 metal combo because it has a 12" speaker but the sounds i've heard from demo's and reviews seems fantastic for the Randall. I would also consider a head and cab but that is a little more costly but if even getting the 1W Randall Diavlo and the Randall 112 cab for a little extra would improve the tone i would probably go wit hthat. If anyone could give me some feedback if they've tried any of the amps or have other suggestions that would be awesome! Thanks UG'ers!
Current GEAR:
2014 LTD EC401
1991 Gibson Explorer
Digitech Whammy V
OCD/Timmy Clone
Wampler Triple Wreck Clone
Fuzzhugger AB-synth
Orange Crush 20RT
TC Alter Ego x4
Last edited by tomsy49 at Feb 3, 2015,
Just buy an old powered wedge and run your pod into it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
What about the Randall RG13 pedal into a cab? That may work but the pod into the powered wedge will be more versatile.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
A tech 21 power engine would be a good choice to run the POD into. It is a powered guitar cab made to use with MFX units.
www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PowerEng112?utm_source=MSN&utm_medium=PPC&utm_campaign=guitars&utm_term=tech_21_power_engine_60
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Any recommendation for a powered wedge?? Will I be able to get anything similar to a thick metal sound with that setup? I've been struggling getting patches to sound real thick through my monitor headphones.
Current GEAR:
2014 LTD EC401
1991 Gibson Explorer
Digitech Whammy V
OCD/Timmy Clone
Fuzzhugger AB-synth
Orange Crush 20RT
TC Alter Ego x4
Anything from a reputable manufacturer will be fine. So Yamaha, JBL, ElectroVoice, Mackie, Altec, etc. Peavey are ok too but not my preferred option.
You want a 12" woofer and at least a 100W power amp in it. Smaller ones are normally smeg.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
How much will a good sounding one cost?? I'm looking for lowest price/best sound trade off. If someone could post some that they have used or heard that work well for highly distorted tones that would be awesome
Current GEAR:
2014 LTD EC401
1991 Gibson Explorer
Digitech Whammy V
OCD/Timmy Clone
Fuzzhugger AB-synth
Orange Crush 20RT
TC Alter Ego x4
Would a powered wedge or a pair of studio speakers be a better option? I love the sounds I've heard from the randall rd112 closed cab. I like the low end it produces. Is that possible to replicate with a wedge, powered monitor speakers or the tech 21 power amp suggested above?
Current GEAR:
2014 LTD EC401
1991 Gibson Explorer
Digitech Whammy V
OCD/Timmy Clone
Fuzzhugger AB-synth
Orange Crush 20RT
TC Alter Ego x4
Quote by tomsy49
Would a powered wedge or a pair of studio speakers be a better option? I love the sounds I've heard from the randall rd112 closed cab. I like the low end it produces. Is that possible to replicate with a wedge, powered monitor speakers or the tech 21 power amp suggested above?

You should be able to reproduce a very convincing Guitar amp tone from the Tech 21 or a powered monitor.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
im looking at maybe purchasing the Alto TS112A. It get good reviews and is a great price. How would this compare with a pair of KRK Rokit 6 or 8's? Would i be better off with a pair of studio monitors so i can run a stereo setup?
Current GEAR:
2014 LTD EC401
1991 Gibson Explorer
Digitech Whammy V
OCD/Timmy Clone
Fuzzhugger AB-synth
Orange Crush 20RT
TC Alter Ego x4
The KRK monitors are for studio use, I'd get the Alto personally. Latter on when you buy an actual amp you can use the monitor for vocals and such.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I concur, the Alto would be fine.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500