I've looked up what to look for when buying a guitar online and to look out foe fakes and stuff but they never talked about one thing... What if it's an "off the wall" guitar? What if it's a model before they released the guitar and produced it? Is that dangerous to buy even if it has the same things you were looking for? Its nearly 100$ cheaper so I'd love to buy it but I don't wanna buy a piece of crap. Thanks
Quote by bmedeiros125
I've looked up what to look for when buying a guitar online and to look out foe fakes and stuff but they never talked about one thing... What if it's an "off the wall" guitar? What if it's a model before they released the guitar and produced it? Is that dangerous to buy even if it has the same things you were looking for? Its nearly 100$ cheaper so I'd love to buy it but I don't wanna buy a piece of crap. Thanks

If it's a store make sure it's got a good return policy.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
^ Yeah. And also you kind of have to treat each case on its own merits. Just because one person you talk to had a good (or bad) experience with buying online doesn't mean you will. So you basically have to do as much research as you can, check you're as protected as possible (pay by credit card, make sure shop has a return policy (I'm not american so there may be other things to check in the USA)), but eventually you basically have to decide if you're ok with the risk. If you're not, walk away and buy in a "real" shop.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ Yeah. And also you kind of have to treat each case on its own merits. Just because one person you talk to had a good (or bad) experience with buying online doesn't mean you will. So you basically have to do as much research as you can, check you're as protected as possible (pay by credit card, make sure shop has a return policy (I'm not american so there may be other things to check in the USA)), but eventually you basically have to decide if you're ok with the risk. If you're not, walk away and buy in a "real" shop.

All of this.

Also, you'll be putting yourself in a tough position if you order online and you don't like the guitar. At a store, you're able to try out the guitars and really figure out if you like it before you commit. Online, if you don't like a guitar, you have to deal with the hassle of shipping it back to the store (often at your own expense) or go through their policies if they don't do returns/exchanges.

Personally, I buy guitars online but not every single one and it's still not my first choice. The only time I'm really ordering online is for products that I can't get here or order in person. If some of the gear I wanted wasn't restricted to JDM and EUR markets only, I wouldn't even bother.

And it might be 100 bucks cheaper initially, but most of the time you have to pay for shipping and any taxes that come in. At the end of the day, that total can end up being pretty close to what you're paying just getting it at the store, but at the store you'd be put through WAY less hassle.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Feb 4, 2015,
Quote by bmedeiros125

If this is your first guitar (or your first guitar purchased online), I'd suggest staying with safer choices. (it's "faux," not "foe"). If by "off the wall" guitars you mean something odd and unusual, you're increasing the chances that you'll get something you won't like. If it's a "model before they released the guitar and produced it," I'd stay well clear of it.

I've purchased most of my guitars used and a lot of them (in the last 10 years) online, and I've been very lucky with them. But I know what to look for, I know what to ask, and I'm usually pretty aware of all the other factors that can make an online sale go south. In mid-January I bought an Agile AD-2300, a clone of an LP Special DC, from a seller in Canada. I trusted someone else (whom I've never met) to retrieve it from Vancouver and ship it to LA. Aside from expected setup issues (all tweaked successfully), the guitar is a joy and was a steal. Two days ago I picked up a brand new Line 6 Variax JTV-89F that had made the trip from Korea to Calabasas (under an hour drive from me) to Kansas to Utah and back to LA. I had it shipped to my local Guitar Denter (free shipping!) and it arrived perfectly (it was even in tune and set up very well) despite the distance.

On the other hand, I've had guitars ordered in for inspection from another GC to my local GC, and I'm just glad that the folks at GC were gathered around when I pulled the guitar out of the box -- it was mostly mulch.
^^ A lot of those things are USA-only, perhaps. In the EU you're covered under distance-selling regulations (the name changed recently, I forget what it changed to ). Basically if it was an off-the-shelf guitar you have 14 days to decide if you like it and if you don't you can send it back for a refund (assuming you keep it in perfect condition, and you'll probably have to pay postage both ways etc.).

^ Yeah, you sort of have to know what to look for when buying online and know what you're like as well. If you're one of those people who has to try 15 of the same model to pick the "best" one, or you have very specific neck profile requirements (and haven't tried many guitars) then online might not be the best plan.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Nothing beats a good test drive, especially with guitars as no two are alike even with identical models, buying online can be a crap shoot you may get lucky and end up with a Wednesday guitar, or you might end up with a Monday or Friday guitar.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

I've been pretty lucky buying online as well, if you want to call it that. Certainly, the first few, I did NOT have the benefit of experience or knowledge, but over time, I learned what I like, what to be careful of, etc. I'd say I'm pretty close to half and half as far as my current stable and whether I bought them locally or online. One of my basses, I ended up buying a completely different model because it sounded so good and the one I went to the store to buy was just crappy.

There's certainly the potential to avoid some hassles buying in person from a WYSIWYG point of view and if it's a store with decent inventory you really get to sit down and figure out what you want and how it's going to sound through some different amps (although, they never seem to sound quite the same in the store as they do once I get them home, usually better once I get home and plug in to my own gear). But there's also a really cool feeling of opening a sealed factory carton and knowing that the guitar you just bought really hasn't been played (as long as there aren't any major issues with it). My best playing guitar is my ES-339. I ordered it online either the 1st or 2nd year they were made (2008). I really had wanted a 335, but this seemed like an interesting alternative that had most of the same features in a handier package for appreciably cheaper. To this day, I haven't needed to do anything to the setup, the thing basically plays itself as soon as I plug in. So sometimes buying online works pretty good.
Alright to give you an idea of what I was looking at it was the esp m330r I've done research and that is the guitar I want. Quality with budget. this isn't my first guitar to clarify and when I ment off the wall I ment like it was used at name namm as a display. If it has the same specs wouldn't it be the same guitar in theory ? It was essentially the prototype before mass production. All of your advice was helpful but I didn't really state what I ment. But with the clarifications would it justify the cost? (299 plus free shipping )
The best way to go about checking these things out is to find a local store and ask them to order it in. Most stores these days won't require a down payment or even charge a restocking fee, which makes things easier.

They'll get it in, you'll try it out, and if you like it, buy it. If not, they put it on their wall and sell it. A lot of folks aren't terribly put out if someone doesn't pick up what they ordered, but because it shows them what the local customer base has interest in. Any order I've pulled in for my store that wasn't sold to the guy who originally wanted it was almost always picked up by someone else.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
My first electric guitars were special orders through a local store, much like JustRooster suggested. If your store is cool with that, it is a great way to go: in many jurisdictions, businesses have a few more protections for that kind of transaction than do regular consumers.

I try to make sure I buy from reputable sellers with good return policies. I usually pay via CC or PayPal, but on occasion, I have used cashier's checks- only use those if you're extremely confident about the purchase.

For all its faults (and possible pending bankruptcy), Guitar Center's used marketplace really is an excellent option. Their return policy is pretty good, and you have the option of in-store delivery. I always choose this- if you open the box in-store and there is a problem, remedy is instant. In addition, if you trust their tech, you can immediately take it to him and get it set up the way you like it before you take it home...and you'd STILL have 30 days to return it.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!