So, my main amp I use is a 6505+. I have a Pod x3 but I prefer my tube sound so for effects Id like to use pedals.

I'm looking to start getting into pedals but I don't know where to start really. Right now all I have is a "discontinued?" DvK Goldtop Fuzz/Vibe and a really old pedal I bought in 7th grade, the Digitech Deathmetal (I don't ever use it lol). Honestly I know nothing about pedals or about chaining them or what's supposed to be at the start and end of the chain.

The first pedal I have been told to get is an Eq. (mxr 10band). I'm looking into getting one but I'm wondering do I invest in a all in one power supply first? Do I need a good power supply to safely operate all the pedals or are the 1spot daisy chain cables ok to use?

After the EQ pedal I'm thinking a noise suppressor and maybe a delay pedal? Since I like to mess around with delay a lot.

Basically, I'm just wondering what to get first or if those power supplies are even needed.

Thanks!
Just another Sheep in the design of the Almighty Machine.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
Do you have the X3 live or the FBV to go with the X3 if it is the bean?

If so you can disable the amp/cab sims and run only the FX and you can get a good idea of what you like and would or wouldn't use. The FX are pretty decent too.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Fallenoath
So, my main amp I use is a 6505+. I have a Pod x3 but I prefer my tube sound so for effects Id like to use pedals.

I'm looking to start getting into pedals but I don't know where to start really. Right now all I have is a "discontinued?" DvK Goldtop Fuzz/Vibe and a really old pedal I bought in 7th grade, the Digitech Deathmetal (I don't ever use it lol). Honestly I know nothing about pedals or about chaining them or what's supposed to be at the start and end of the chain.

The first pedal I have been told to get is an Eq. (mxr 10band). I'm looking into getting one but I'm wondering do I invest in a all in one power supply first? Do I need a good power supply to safely operate all the pedals or are the 1spot daisy chain cables ok to use?

After the EQ pedal I'm thinking a noise suppressor and maybe a delay pedal? Since I like to mess around with delay a lot.

Basically, I'm just wondering what to get first or if those power supplies are even needed.

Thanks!

If you want to know what pedals you want, first you should start to ask yourself what your sound is lacking. An EQ is very useful if you know how to use it and have a purpose for it. If you're already happy with your tone though, whats the point of the extra shaping? Sure you could maybe use it as a boost for solos or something but maybe you could benefit more from something like a chorus pedal to splash on cleans and thicken them up or maybe you want a nice delay to get your solos really cool sounding. Noise Suppressors can be useful too for heavier music. Cuts down on the hiss coming from your pedals and your amp.

Really though, it depends on what you're looking for. But if you don't know what you're looking for we can't recommend you pedals, you know? Is there any cool sounds that you hear from other bands that you can't get with your rig now that you think pedals could help with? That can be a good starting point.

As for the actual chain, do whatever sounds good to you. In general though, people do not run ODs/Dist/Fuzz/Wah in the effects loop. The orders of the pedal can affect the tones too but there really isn't a right or wrong answer to that. You basically just play around until you're satisfied.

Personally, I run my wah first and then I run most of my modulated effects (chorus/delay etc...) after my distortion pedals. If you play metal, a more common setup would be to have your delays/chorus/flange in the effects loop and have something like an OD in front of the amp to tighten it up for chugging.

Quote by Robbgnarly
Do you have the X3 live or the FBV to go with the X3 if it is the bean?

If so you can disable the amp/cab sims and run only the FX and you can get a good idea of what you like and would or wouldn't use. The FX are pretty decent too.

This too. MFXs are pretty good to mess around with and figure out what you want/like
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Noise suppressors are a good idea, a lot of people like to boost a high gain amp with an overdrive (Not distortion) pedal.

Truthfully, if you can go and try some pedals out I would. See what you like and don't like. Things on Youtube often don't sound like they are in person. Simply because of post processing and the fact that they're not in the room with you. You might love something via Youtube, but hate it in person.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
You might want to consider a multi FX pedal such as the Zoom G3 or G3x. These allow you to try out a number of different pedal sounds at a fraction of the cost of separate pedals. Zoom has a PC/Apple USB interface program which allows you to modify or create your own combinations.
I ran a BOSS NS-2 on my 5150 and was very happy with it.

EQ Wise, the MXR 10 band is a fav, I ran the Boss 7 band and was quite happy using it as a Solo/Treble Boost

Delay is a tough question, you'll pick what you like, But I like analog delay, I run a vintage Ibanez DD (Double Delay) I really like it's simplicity. You may as well, but the memory man (EHX) is a crowd favorite.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
Quote by Marsden
You might want to consider a multi FX pedal such as the Zoom G3 or G3x. These allow you to try out a number of different pedal sounds at a fraction of the cost of separate pedals. Zoom has a PC/Apple USB interface program which allows you to modify or create your own combinations.

he has a POD X3 already
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I just got my pedals in order, and I'm finally happy with it. I have a 5150 combo. After much trial and error, my pedals go like this:
guitar >crybaby(true bypass mod)>boss super O.D.(a must)>MXR flanger>amp

FX loop >MXR 6 bandEQ>MXR smart gate>Phase 90>MXR micro chorus>boss DD3(also a must)>return FX loop.
Last thing I added was a DC brick, and it was really worth it to get rid of the daisy chain and wall wart set up. I couldn't run all those pedals without it, way too noisy.

The reason I say the boss pedals are a must is they are buffered, and they help with signal loss even disengaged. This is an issue when using a lot of pedals. I almost bought a looper, and a buffer pedal before someone clued me in about boss pedals. I already had them in my rig, I just needed to move them. I think most boss pedals are buffered, as well as other brands. A tube screamer works too.

Basically, I would put your pedals the way you think they should go, then troubleshoot from there. Figure out which pedals are causing problems, move them or get rid of them. I was able to put my flanger and my EQ back after I got the DC brick, and I had too get rid of my boss ce-5 for the MXR chorus because I found it too be a tonesucker.
Last edited by rickyvanh at Feb 4, 2015,
Well, what music do you typically like to play?

Do you have any effects that you really like on your pod?

For starters, I would probably get a tuner pedal (if you don't have one), an overdrive, and a delay. That really covers a lot of bases with just three pedals.

After that I would suggest a noise gate especially since you have a 6505. The MXR 10 band EQ is great, but if you like your tone already, I wouldn't put it any higher on the list.

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
Sell the stuff you have.

Get yourself a ISP Decimator, an MXR EQ and a Boss DD-7.

Grab a VS 1-Spot and a Pedaltrain Mini.

Enjoy a simple yet pimp setup.
mojostompboxes.com
+1 for the One-Spot. And I'll also point out, you can use a delay pedal as a chorus or reverb in a pinch. Making it an extremely versatile effect pedal. And some delays have a looping feature, even better.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Man, so many people responded Idk who to answer first.

First of all thanks for the responses! Reason I love this forum. (Quick honest help!)

Ok, so for people wondering what kind a music I play.... Honestly a little bit of everything from 60s psychedelic to modern progressive metal. Everything but Country too "twangy" for my tastes . So, Im trying to get together a real versatile setup. Of course my amp is more of a metal amp and Im ok with that, eventually I will get another thats more for cleans/blues and have both but Id figured I would start a board first with taxes and since they can get spendy real quick, I figured I would get a couple things now when I have some extra cash.

I do have a Pod x3 but just the bean no footswitch or live. I LOVE delay. So I know I have to have one of those. Whats the best one I can get? I know a noise suppressor is good to have especially with a 6505 so I will get that before a delay.

-GEAR-
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
Quote by greeny23
Sell the stuff you have.

Get yourself a ISP Decimator, an MXR EQ and a Boss DD-7.

Grab a VS 1-Spot and a Pedaltrain Mini.

Enjoy a simple yet pimp setup.

this, plus a tubescreamer. boss sd-1 is great.
I know I have to have one of those. Whats the best one I can get?

Thing is, there are many many products out there. Many pricey and many cheap too. Each pedal has its strenghts and weakness for this or this type of music. I'd suggest you take a look at guitarproshop.com and listen to a couple of their videos. Also you can look up the bands you like and their gears.

I would say the Way Huge Aqua-puss is a very good analog delay for slap back for instance. Then the memory-boy is more suited for waky stuff and has longer digital delay. Or maybe you'd prefer the line 6 DL4, but it's bigger.

For me, arranging a pedal board is one of the most fun thing but that involves research and tests and reading, reviews, comparing and more tests. That is if you really want to get the most out of your board.
Quote by greeny23

Wow...
That is a beast!

-GEAR-
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
Ok quick little update.

So, searching my areas craigslist I was able to find a used Boss BCB-60 board and included is a Boss GE-7 Eq. He is willing to take 70. Im going to go to his house this saturday to try it out to make sure its in working order. I figured I cant go wrong getting both for that price.

Was gonna get a 10 band does it make that much of a difference?

Anyone have any opinions? Wanna make sure I get decent and reliable gear.

-GEAR-
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
Last edited by Fallenoath at Feb 6, 2015,
The most useful feature of a delay for live playing is tap tempo, anything without it I personally would not purchase.
Quote by Fallenoath
Ok quick little update.

So, searching my areas craigslist I was able to find a used Boss BCB-60 board and included is a Boss GE-7 Eq. He is willing to take 70. Im going to go to his house this saturday to try it out to make sure its in working order. I figured I cant go wrong getting both for that price.

Was gonna get a 10 band does it make that much of a difference?

Anyone have any opinions? Wanna make sure I get decent and reliable gear.

GE-7 is just fine.

The actual BCB is super mehh
mojostompboxes.com
Many people forget this as it's not an effect but the first pedal you need is a tuner, especially if you're gigging or even rehearsing in a band
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Dressing my steak with cum is just adding more protein to my steak.

Quote by Roc8995
The Hello Kitty Strat is the most metal guitar known to man.
Honestly I get a used FBV shortboard ($75-$100) and then you have all the FX avalible on the POD at your feet and you get an added volume/wah on top of all the other FX.
Here is the FBV (better than the FBV shoartboard) for $75
www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-Used-Line-6-Fbv-Effect-Processor-110916538-i4174225.gc

As for a pedalboard, I suggest building one if you have a spare 30min and a few tools. I built mine for <$30 and it would cost over $150 if I were to buy one the size and style of mine
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Feb 6, 2015,
I used the BCB-60 board for like a year and a half or so. If you keep your board simple it's pretty good. I like that you didn't have to velcro anything down. The only reason I upgraded to a pedal train was for size/organization for what I needed as I shaped my effects around the 6505+ I started using. I still have my BCB around though, I'll probably use it again someday.
If you're looking for a simple way to build versatility in your tone, here are my guidelines for you:

Essential FX: (more or less in order of importance)
Graphic EQ
One of each type of distortion pedal (overdrive, distortion, fuzz)
Compressor (really helps clean up your signal; some guitarists have two or three compressors in their rig)
Delay/Chorus
Looper
Wah

These types of pedals in conjunction with each other will give you a varied tonal palette to work from.

Pedal Chain Order:

Guitar

1. Tuner
2. Wah
3. Compressor
4. Overdrive/Distortion
5. Modulators/Pitch Shifters
6. Delay/Reverb
7. Loop Pedal (almost always goes last)

Amp

That's pretty much how I learned order, and from there I began experimenting.

Power Supply:
I am personally not a fan of 1-SPOTS or daisy chains at all. They are messy, and they run on an alternating current which sucks the tone out of your line. A dedicated power supply will make wires more manageable, and the direct current will preserve your tone. Unfortunately, that route is strictly more expensive than a daisy chain, but I believe that $120 for a nice power supply is worth it. I wouldn't be anywhere without my ISO 5. The good news is that you don't really need a power supply immediately. A power supply is only utterly necessary when you're trying to put a pedalboard together, or you're just sick of replacing all of the batteries in your boxes.

Pedalboard:
I tell everyone who asks me about pedalboards to look into building one themselves. It's about four times cheaper and way more fun. My first pedalboard was really simple: two rectangular pieces of plywood covered in velcro, and drilled into a briefcase. Put velcro on the bottoms of all of my pedals, and arranged them as I see fit. It probably cost me a total of $40 all together.

It's really the way to go because you can build it to size your pedals appropriately.

If I were you, since I'd already have some distortion pedals, I'd get an EQ, suppressor or compressor to further characterize what you already have, then look into delays, tremolos, vibratos, all that stuff.

For your goals, a simple line paired with your 6505 will do just fine. Nothing insane like what I go for. One overdrive to boost your 6L6s, one fuzz, one compressor/suppressor, and one tap tempo delay along with your footswitch will get you to where you need to be. Four total.

Finding out what pedals you need really takes just sitting down with your amp and figuring out what you thing is missing from the tone. If you're already satisfied with how the overall tone sounds, then all you're really looking for is a delay, chorus, vibrato, phaser, etc. to color and temporarily alter your tone.

As for a delay, here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JOLnTT0mh0
~GEAR~

'93 Fender Duo Sonic Reissue

'84 ProCo Smallbox RAT->Fulltone OCD->Akai E2 Headrush->Acoustic Model 470/Acoustic 105 4x12
Last edited by thief_of_fire at Feb 6, 2015,
^
+10
Man, awesome info thanks a lot!
I appreciate it greatly!

-GEAR-
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
If you can't afford the Timefactor, the Line 6 DL4 and DL8, and the TC Flashback and FBx4 are all sweet imo. I've owned the Flashback X4 and currently the DL4. I like the layout on the FBx4 better but the DL4 sounds better (I think, I didn't have both at once) and seems to have all kinds of hidden tricks.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
The best delay pedal? Strymon Timeline, probably.
I have a Flashback x4 though and it's great, especially for the money. Really, really versatile and tonnes of features.
[404]Signature not found
So, looks like I will have to build my own board. The deal on clist didn't go through guy sold it to someone else. Asshole. Ah, well Ive read mixed reviews so, I guess Ill make my own even though Im not very good at building stuff Ill try.

-GEAR-
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
Quote by Fallenoath
So, looks like I will have to build my own board. The deal on clist didn't go through guy sold it to someone else. Asshole. Ah, well Ive read mixed reviews so, I guess Ill make my own even though Im not very good at building stuff Ill try.

get on craigslist or gumtree or whatever it is near you and find a pedaltrain.

if you're not actually good at building stuff then it's probably gonna suck if you build your own..
mojostompboxes.com