Ok so I have a peavey raptor electric guitar. I sound dumb preferring it over my American series strat, but the peavey dirties up the sound giving it a really grungey sound, one which i like. So, anyway when i use my whammy bar on the peavey , the third string tends to go very noticably sharp. I don't know why it does this, and frankly, my dear it angers me. Someone help why it does this please.

Any help will be appreciated.
Quote by karoshi41
Ok so I have a peavey raptor electric guitar. I sound dumb preferring it over my American series strat, but the peavey dirties up the sound giving it a really grungey sound, one which i like. So, anyway when i use my whammy bar on the peavey , the third string tends to go very noticably sharp. I don't know why it does this, and frankly, my dear it angers me. Someone help why it does this please.

Any help will be appreciated.

the probelm is that the string kinks at the nut. having a properly cut nut is critical to having a fender style trem stay in tune. take it to a tech and have it setup. you may also want to consider having a better nut installed.
Kink is the wrong term, it gets in a bind. Common problem with that type bridge. The nut slot is tight enough when you loosen the tension on the string with the tremolo, it gets in a bind in the nut slot and doesn't come back to the point it started, resulting in a sharp string.

You can get some torch tip cleaners, find the right size one and very lightly file it a little, and be very careful to make sure you do not cut the slot any deeper, just widen it a tiny bit.

I use a #2 pencil every time I change strings, put a fairly sharp point on it and scribble in each nut slot. That puts a little graphite in the slots for lubrication, helping them slide back into position when the tremolo is used. IT helps, but won't cure it completely. You can also take a second and pull up on the string, that will help too. I also got some roller string trees to make sure the string trees aren't helping things get in a bind.

I have a Hipshot Tremsetter in my strat, it helps too.

http://www.amazon.com/Fender-099-0811-000-Hipshot-Tremsetter/dp/B002LBTHGE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1423087740&sr=8-1&keywords=hipshot+tremsetter

And by the way I've played a few of the Peavey Raptors, liked them pretty well, usually good guitars. I have a Peavey Patriot I'll never let go. Peavey has made some very under rated guitars over the years...One thing I like about the Raptor pickups is the ones that have the oversize magnets, you can bend the strings like crazy and still get good pickup, the magnets do a good job and the ones I've played sound pretty good.

If you ever want to clean it up a little, move the pickups away from the strings just a little, they should actually be fairly clean. When they produce a gritty sound like you describe it's because the pickups are too close to the strings. That guitar should sound almost identical to a Fender Strat, and just as clean.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
It's vibrato.
Tremolo means the volume going up and down.

/pedant
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
Quote by The Judist
It's vibrato.

/pedant

Yup. But Leo Fender had it backwards, designed guitars with vibrato and called it tremolo, and designed amps with tremolo, calling it vibrato, and it just stuck.

Also,

Quote by The Judist
It's vibrato.

/pedant

Misnomers gonna misnome.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Quote by The Judist
It's vibrato.

/pedant

You say tomato I say tom-ah-to
You say Vibrato Leo says tremolo
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge