https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD3IRWledho

How does one come up with a melody like this. I can't read what people are doing on the guitar I just see the hand moving and pretty notes come out. But I think advanced people can read that person's hand and see scales, arpeggios, chords and just shapes in general I guess and be able to decipher what he's playing, what emotion he's going for, what modes he's playing in I guess.

Again I ask. What should I be practicing to be able to play like this one day and to have the writing ability. My song writing skills suck..
Quote by Who Sh0t Ya HxO

How does one come up with a melody like this. I can't read what people are doing on the guitar I just see the hand moving and pretty notes come out. But I think advanced people can read that person's hand and see scales, arpeggios, chords and just shapes in general I guess and be able to decipher what he's playing, what emotion he's going for, what modes he's playing in I guess.

Again I ask. What should I be practicing to be able to play like this one day and to have the writing ability. My song writing skills suck..

The way everyone learns guitar. Learn what other people are playing.

You want to learn how to write a melody like that? Figure out what you like about what he's playing and learn how to use it yourself.
So. Pretty much everything he's playing is in the key of Am, he doesn't really jump modes much. If you wanna learn this just break down the video into bite sized chunks with the easy parts first. Make sure you're familiar with the key of Am before you start, so if there is something you can't figure out with your eyes, you can use your ears and knowledge of the key to break it down.

A good thing to practice would be the song Bark At The Moon by Ozzy. That song helped me with stuff like this. It's a little different because its in a different key (Dm) but you should have a solid jumping off point with those two.

Al Pitrelli used to have some really good instructional videos on YouTube about four of the modes, I would search for those as well.

If I think of anything else I'll let ya know! Good Luck, kid.
If you say Randy Rhoads isn't amazing, I will hunt you down (Same for Marty Friedman)Founder of Rhoads/Friedman pm if you want in..
"guitarists have a thing, where their guitar is like an extension of their penis.." well said, ozzy
What should you be practicing to play like that? Everything. If you're trying to learn that, specifically, like you want to play what he's playing in that video, just watch it and break it down. If you can't figure out what he's doing by watching, you need to work on your own playing more, before trying to learn that.

To learn how to play that style, just learn a bunch of songs in that style. Start slow and make sure you're getting things down solid before trying to move on to more advanced things. And for writing music like that? Once you've learned the style through learning other people's music, you'll have figured out certain techniques and formulas to go into it, then it's just a matter of picking your notes. For that? Learn theory. Or train the hell out of your ears. Or, best of all, do both.
Transcribe what the guy is playing on the video and learn it note for note, get it up to speed, etc.

That's it.
Quote by Who Sh0t Ya HxO

I've highlighted the bit in bold because that may be why you're struggling. Guitar isn't a visual thing, it's aural - good players don't learn by looking at people's hands, they learn by listening. Just to put things in perspective, how do you think people learned before we had video?

The guitar is a musical instrument, however it does seem that nowadays a lot of novice players get way too bogged down in the physical and visual side of things. As far as technical skills go you obviously need to develop them, but your technical skills are there to enable you to play the things you want. As far as visual goes, in all honesty it's not that important. Watch a great guitarist play and you'll notice they never look at the fretboard. That's because as you get more experienced you know where the notes you need to hit are in relation to the one you just played - you know how far you need to shift your hand or which finger to use.

Reading tabs and chord sheets is a great way to get yourself up and running quickly, and is always useful if you need to learn a song in a hurry. However if you really want to get to grips with the guitar and play it well then you can't do that by thinking in numbers and dots, you need to get yourself into the habit of thinking in terms of sound first and foremost. Knowledge of the fretboard allows you to get those sounds out of the guitar, but you have to know what you're trying to create before you start hitting the strings.

Now nobody is born with great listening skills, like everything else it's something you have to work at but work at it you must. More to the point, that's what your focus should be, stop wasting your time trying to see where someone's hands are and what they're doing and start concentrating on what you can hear instead. Start with simple melodies and work your way up gradually to more complicated stuff. Likewise with things like scales and chords you HAVE to be able to recognise what they sound like. If you can only really recognise them by the shape they form on the guitar then you haven't really learned them yet - and the sooner you start addressing that major gap in your learning the sooner you'll start making progress.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com