When I play sitting down, as I usually do, I hold my guitar (Ibanez Artstar - ES335 copy) on my left knee, with my left foot resting on something, classical guitar style. But it seems like EVERY.... SINGLE... big name player on the planet holds it on his right knee. Am I the only person in the universe that does this? Playing on the right knee feels awkward and uncomfortable to me; on the left knee, everything falls into place and I can play very smooth and relaxed. But sometimes I feel like the Lone Left-knee Ranger....
------------------------------
Ibanez Artstar AS80
Yamaha CG151C
Yamaha YPG225
Yamaha FG720S
Peavey Special 212
Vox Cambridge 15
DR Pure Blues .010s, Dunlop Gel Heavys
U do what ever feels right to u .when I had an Acoustic I would place on my left knee also and put my left leg on foot stool. Now I have an eletric I use a strap when I sit its better then puting it on your knee
Many people on this forum use their left knee, myself included. Using your right knee can cause issues with your right shoulder and arm. I know from experience.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
I'll use the classical stance if I'm playing a classical guitar, and playing classical style music on it. Or if I'm trying to play a V sitting down.
Left knee all the way, for bass as well.
Gear:
EBMM Bongo HS 4
EBMM Sting Ray 5
Eden D410T
Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
Tech 21 Sansamp RPM
Art 341 Dual Channel EQ
QSC GX5 Power Amp
Quote by zmarc101
I thought I was the only one. Damn, I thought I was special.

7 billion people in the world, nothing you do is special lol.
Gear:
EBMM Bongo HS 4
EBMM Sting Ray 5
Eden D410T
Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
Tech 21 Sansamp RPM
Art 341 Dual Channel EQ
QSC GX5 Power Amp
Quote by zmarc101
I thought I was the only one. Damn, I thought I was special.

Heck, we should start a "Left Knee Player's Club."
Ibanez Artstar AS80
Yamaha CG151C
Yamaha YPG225
Yamaha FG720S
Peavey Special 212
Vox Cambridge 15
Quote by CNC-Digity
7 billion people in the world, nothing you do is special lol.

Hahaha. Yup. Reminds me of an interview I watched years and years ago with the guy from Dragonforce. At some point, the interviewer said something about him being crazy good, and among the fastest players in the world. Without a pause, the guy said, "oh I'm not that special. There are 14 year old kids on youtube who'll shred my face off".
Quote by Tony Done
And of those that play seated, I would lay odds that left-knee players are in the majority.

Well, a lot of players don't play seated all the time, but when they DO play seated, they're right-knee'ers:

Hendrix
BB King
Buddy Guy
Santana
Bloomfield
SRV
McLaughlin
Les Paul
Page
Beck
Malmsteen
Wes Montgomery
Mississippi John Hurt
Petrucci
Atkins
Clapton
Kottke
Vai
Slash
K. Richards
Duane Allman
Zappa
Blackmore

......need I say more?

There is ONE guy that, as far as I can find, (besides me and zmarc) who plays it left-knee when he sits: EVH!!!
Ibanez Artstar AS80
Yamaha CG151C
Yamaha YPG225
Yamaha FG720S
Peavey Special 212
Vox Cambridge 15
Last edited by Ruark at Feb 5, 2015,
Quote by Ruark
Well, a lot of players don't play seated all the time, but when they DO play seated, they're right-knee'ers:

Hendrix
BB King
Buddy Guy
Santana
Bloomfield
SRV
McLaughlin
Les Paul
Page
Beck
Malmsteen
Wes Montgomery
Mississippi John Hurt
Petrucci
Atkins
Clapton
Kottke
Vai
Slash
K. Richards
Duane Allman
Zappa
Blackmore

......need I say more?

There is ONE guy that, as far as I can find, (besides me and zmarc) who plays it left-knee when he sits: EVH!!!

Most people actually vary it up. If you look around for most really technically capable guitarists you can find pictures and videos of them doing it both ways.

Another important thing to note is that when standing and playing something properly difficult most players adopt a position that's as close to the classical (left leg) sitting position as possible. It's just optimal for the kind of fast, stretchy, relaxed fretting that a lot of shredders do.

Which is another thing worth pointing out: a lot of those players are the same kinds of players: with the notable exception of Malmsteen, Petrucci, McLaughlin, and Vai, those players are all heavily rooted in the blues tradition and their playing doesn't go in for the kind of fret hand pyrotechnics that would require the classical position. Nothing against those players, of course, but they're hardly playing Paul Gilbert's crazy string skipping arpeggio ideas.

I'm really not sure what you're trying to achieve with this thread to be honest. The classical position has clear benefits for playing but most people find the other position more comfortable because they use it more. That's about all there is to be said, unless you feel like you have something to prove.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Ruark

Hmmm, and how about all those nylon string players in Latin America, Spain and Asia? I reckon Colombia, for example, could have more guitars players per capita than any English speaking country, and IIRC, they were all left-knee players when seated.

I'm usually a right knee player myself, but I often used to start playing slide at gigs in the left knee position as a hedge against cramping up. I would go to right knee when I had warmed up a bit. - Because it looks cooler.
Left knee, switched recently from right. It's much better for me and way more comfortable to play the lead type stuff and it eliminated a lot of the left hand pain/strain from playing with a level-ish fretboard. Wish I'd used it from the get go.
I move it around while sitting on a stool but for the serious stuff when I have to really dig in... Left knee.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Ruark
Heck, we should start a "Left Knee Player's Club."
Do you actually sit the guitar on your knee?

I use my left leg, but then I'm left handed.

Can I still be in the club, or is the whole left handed thing an automatic DQ?

FWIW, I think that smaller body guitars would work out better on the left knee. For example the picture of the solid body. The waist on any solid body is fairly close to the neck joint. If one sat it on the right leg, the player's arm would jamb his side after you get above the 12th fret, since the fret board is overlapping the body.

The geometry on a jumbo acoustic, places the neck further away from the body, and most won't be playing much above the 12th fret anyway. So, that works out a bit better when you sit the guitar on the right leg. You can, "get away with putting the jumbo on your right leg", however you want to phrase or consider that.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Feb 6, 2015,
OK.... to pick nits.... the left THIGH. Does that work?

Of course, I'm talking about electrics here, not classicals or acoustics, although it's interesting to note that maestro acoustic player Leo Kottke is a right-thigh player, as are Stephan Grossman and many others.
Ibanez Artstar AS80
Yamaha CG151C
Yamaha YPG225
Yamaha FG720S
Peavey Special 212
Vox Cambridge 15
I asked about this very thing a couple of months ago, and was glad to find out I wasn't doing something wrong.

I don't play that much down at the lower frets, so it's more comfortable to have my fret hand out in front for the middle to upper frets.
Quote by Ruark
...[ ]....Of course, I'm talking about electrics here, not classicals or acoustics, although it's interesting to note that maestro acoustic player Leo Kottke is a right-thigh player...[ ]....
And waddya know, his signature 12 string is a jumbo.....http://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/acoustic/leo-kottke-guitar#specifications
Last edited by Captaincranky at Feb 6, 2015,