So I have the Kent guitar listed in the title and I need some help with the wiring. It has two pups 1v 1t individual pickup switches and a solo/rhythm switch. It has a few wires loose and I can't figure out where they go because I've only worked on basic wired guitars like strat, lp/sg ,p-bass, ect... this thing has 3 caps in it and the wiring just looks crazy!!! Soooooo would anyone out there have this guitar and are willing to draw me out the schematics for it or already have the schematics for this because I'd like to just go in and rewire the whole thing with some cloth covered wire and replace the pots as they have a lot of static and are pretty rusted also. Please someone help me!!!!!!

P.S. I really want to keep the wiring the way it was originally was to keep it sounding the way it used to
I like a challenge, send some photos and I'll let you know I do custom wiring requests all the time

with three capacitors this gives me some ideas. My neighbor loves guitars from that era but since those guitars are over twice as old as me I'd need to see some photos or do some research. Thankfully capacitors only do so much in guitars.

by the way for the sake of clarity aluminum or copper tape goes a long way

this is a really hard guitar to google, my guess is
the 2 white switches would have capacitors to filter the output of the pickups for 2 sounds
the black switch is for the pickup selection
the first knobs volume
the second is tone

but photos are appreciated
Last edited by Tallwood13 at Feb 5, 2015,
I'll be able to send a pic tomorrow, but the two white switches are the pickup switches and the single one by the volume and tone is the solo/rhythm switch, which i believe just bypasses the volume and tone when on solo. i'll also draw out a schematic because its hard to see with all the wires
so i drew out a diagram on paint but i cant figure out how to put it on here lol
Last edited by bagwell2007 at Feb 5, 2015,
Quote by bagwell2007
so i drew out a diagram on paint but i cant figure out how to put it on here lol

Upload to an image hosting site like www.tinypic.com

Then copy and paste the code with the tags
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
got it haha. The blue wires are the ones I cannot figure out where to put... I'm thinking that the one from the volume goes to the positive on the jack and the one from the switch to the ground on the jack? they're both long enough to reach it and I don't see why they would be of that length if they went to anywhere else.
Attachments:
Kent guitar schematics.png
*ok so the volume knobs blue wire that is your hot lead to the input jack. No doubt about it.

*the other blue wire perhaps it's grounded on the volume pot. See how far the wire can stretch or if there is any remains of a cut wire inside the guitar. My second guess is to the middle contact on the volume called the wiper.

the switches are on/off DPDT switches (double pull double throw). the 3x2 contacts and pattern soldered in is the reason. The middle contacts are common which is used unconditionally the outer ones are function 1 and 2 depending on which way the switch is pointed. So they are being used in an on/off mode... you can also make them on/on depending on the wiring but that isn't what we're doing today.

*The two white switches are pickup selectors , no doubt about it
*the selector that has the black top to it engages an extra capacitor for the "rhythm" tone. In todays modern age this is called the "fender jazz mod".

if you had a multimeter I bet both pickups would have the same resistance. I haven't seen that many capacitors in anything besides a varitone. But they have their use.

on switch #2 (bridge pickup switch) - filters out a certain level of resistance for a 2nd tone. The fender jazz mod does this using a push pull pot. 1953 fender telecasters had something similar in the "neck" position only. It's an unpopular schematic to go with the 53 wiring today.

switch #3 (rhythm/tone) , perhaps a no load tone switch, in the other position I'm not 100% sure I'd say assume it would filter out more of the pickups resistance.Not much to go by on this guitar though I googled it for 10-20 minutes and the unorthodox use of that last switch is something I've never seen.
okay so I soldered the one from the volume to the hot lead and the other wire seems to go to the output jack somewhere because of the length. It goes all the way to the jack without having to stretch, so I tried putting it to the ground and that made the tone part of that switch not work, it completely grounds the connection, I believe but the rhythm selection worked perfect that way. So I tried to put it to the hot lead with the one from the volume also on the hot and it worked but with a quiet constant hum and the rhythm/tone switch made no difference in sound when switched from rhythm to tone. Also the loose wire on the switch comes from the tone side of that switch. Also again lol, the wire from the switch isn't cut, it has solder on the end still
Last edited by bagwell2007 at Feb 6, 2015,
I honestly dont see a need for this wire.. since the pups and pots are already grounded and the rhythm/tone switch is already connected to the volume, connecting this wire to the ground pretty much makes a kill switch and connecting it to the lead makes the connection kinda all together if you know what i mean. could it have been added at some point by someone not knowing what they were doing? because there are a few wires that have def been replaced in this guitar
so I did remove it and it works perfect. no odd humming or anything. there is a big difference in the tone between the two. thanks man I really appreciate the help.
no problem I wish I got back to you sooner since I saw 3 replies.

with the fender jazz mod I remember when I put that on a push pull pot which gives you this deeper tone like the tone knob is rolled back I had to solder to the hot lead a very long wire to the input jack on this tele. It was a more modern take on 1953 tele wiring and american special. So normal switch and volume. The tone knob cut the really harsh highs and pulled up for a totally rolled down tone. It was kind of cool.