Hello,

I've been on a single-coil, Fender type guitar mode for quite a while, but the old bones are kicking me back to some humbucking, mahogany+maple cap, thick chunky tone tastes.

I've been out of touch with the latest in those kinds of guitars, so I'm looking to see what's good. Specifically:

----The thicker and chunkier the neck, the better. Thought not a deal breaker, as I can play with thinner. Though I can't play with anything less wide than 1 11/16" at the nut.

---Mahogany or korina guitars. Maple cap is optional, but then I'd hope that there'd be some other factor/part that can get some brightness on the guitar.

---Humbuckers only.

---Les Paul types come to mind, but anything else that fits the bill is fair game to me.

---Something that can handle a moderate amount of gain. I play mostly at church but I dabble in hard rock cover bands in my area in my spare time.

Budget is around $1000, new or used. Though if I can buy better for less, I'm good for it too. Most bang for buck is very important to me.

So far, I've gotten a few recommendations:

Epiphone Tribute Plus or Joe Bonamassa Signature
Godin Icon Type 2 Classic
Hagstrom Select Super Swede
Ibanez AR720FM or FRM250MF (the Paul Gilbert sig)

Fire away gentleman. All opinions/suggestions of all biases are welcome.
Electra and a Reverend have options that could appeal:

http://www.electraguitar.com/pages/guitars

www.reverendguitars.com/category/guitar/

The Electra Omega and Omega Prime* are excellent mahogany bodied LP clones, based on the original designs from the 1970s. Classic tones. I measured my Prome's nut and found it to be 1 11/16ths wide but I can't speak for the other

Reverend's entire line all are made with korina and have nuts of that width. They're great guitars and I currently own 4.** They use a variety of humbuckers in their product line, all made in-house: mainstream PAF-like HBs; RevTron miniHBs (based in FillerTrons); the hybrid rail & pole RailHammer HyperVintage (PAF-like), Chisel (medium-high output) and Anvil (bridge only high-output).

* I have one of these. It kicks ass.

** A Roundhouse (discontinued LP clone), a Rick Vito signature hardtail (LP clone with Supro oversized singlecoil and P90), a limited edition Flatroc, and a limited edition Manta Ray.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Feb 5, 2015,
Carvin DC145 should fit the bill:

"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
^^ i nutted
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
How's this for an LP-style guitar with mahogany and a maple cap, and locking tuners, and hand-wound custom shop pickups for $850?

Especially if you like a little bit thicker neck. Lots of shredders complain about Schecter necks being thick compared to Ibanezs and Jacksons, but I love a little extra beef, and it seems you do too. That picture is a Hellraiser Passive. They're pretty high output pickups, though. They'd cover your hard rock sound and them some. The same thing is also available with active EMGs, if you're into that.

Then there's this beauty, also mahogany and maple, with the Duncan JB/Jazz set, for $900.

And this one is alder with a maple top, but it's just flippin gorgeous, and worth a mention. With the SD Nazgul and Sentient pickups, at $800.

You can probably guess that I love me some Schecters. That's my bias. The guitars are beautiful, and they're pretty hard to beat, feature-wise, at any given price point. I've had mine for 9 years and it's still a beast, on stage or recording. I'll be buying another within the next few weeks, whenever my tax return gets in, and have my eyes on a third later this year, if money allows.

Anyway, here's Schecter's web pages for the ones I posted pics of.

Hellraiser Passive
C-1 Classic
Banshee

Oh yeah, and, all three of these have the same nut width (same as almost all of Schecter's 6 stringers), and it is 1/32" thinner than your 1 11/16 requirement. Not sure if that's close enough for you, but there it is.
Last edited by the_bi99man at Feb 5, 2015,
Another option is the G&L ASAT Deluxe. It is pretty close to your specs- its nut is 1/16 smaller than you asked for- but they're great guitars. The HBs have coil splitting. Sometimes, you can find used USA made ones just over your budget max (new ones are usually $1400-1800):

https://reverb.com/item/410417-g-l-asat-deluxe-2012-cherry-burst-see-details

The G&L Tribute versions- made in Indonesia with mostly the same parts as the USA-made ones- can be found new between $400-600, depending on options.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Feb 5, 2015,
dannyalcatraz, those Omega guitars look sweet! Are these new ones a newcomer on the block? I guess the one question I have is that they seem to have jumbo frets...any problems with intonation as a result? I do a lot of lead work past the 12th fret in addition to general rhythm stuff, depending on the song, so it is important to me.

Sadly, I've given Schecter guitars a whirl long ago, and did not get along with any of them. I just found that even the beefiest of their necks weren't beefy enough for my hands.
Quote by Always-Ben

Sadly, I've given Schecter guitars a whirl long ago, and did not get along with any of them. I just found that even the beefiest of their necks weren't beefy enough for my hands.

Oh damn, you need THAT beefy? Yeah, Schecters probably aren't for you, then. Something more true to the Gibson style is what you need.
Quote by Always-Ben
dannyalcatraz, those Omega guitars look sweet! Are these new ones a newcomer on the block? I guess the one question I have is that they seem to have jumbo frets...any problems with intonation as a result? I do a lot of lead work past the 12th fret in addition to general rhythm stuff, depending on the song, so it is important to me.

Electra went out of business in the late 1980s or so. The new incarnation of the company is owned by 2 veteran guitar makers who bought the logo and all the intellectual property- meaning designs, schematics, etc.- of the original company. Then they took the older designs and updated them a bit.

Unfortunately, I'm more of a rhythm player, and don't spend a lot of my time beyond the 12th fret. So all I can say is that I have not had noticeable intonation problems. However, that particular guitar is tuned to New Standard Tuning (CGDAEG). With that broad range and the special set of strings I need for it, I would expect to notice intonation issues if I had any.

Quote by Always-Ben

My guitar has X-Jumbo frets, and there are no intonation issues at all. I play a lot of lead high up, as well. I don't think fret size should make for any intonation problems on any guitar, as long as it's set up properly.
Sounds like you might like a Gibson SG. Baseball bat necks, great sustain, med. output pickups and still classy enough for church gigs. As with any guitar, you can drop a lot of money on these, but with the 70s tribute, futura models, and specials, you can't go wrong.
http://www.samash.com/gibson-sg-tribute-70s-electric-guitar-vintage-starburst-gsgtr7v5c?cm_mmc=GoogleShopping-_-Guitars-_-Channeladvisor-_-Gibson+SG+Tribute+%2770s+Electric+Guitar+(Vintage+Sunburst)&utm_source=GSH&utm_medium=CSE&utm_campaign=Channeladvisor&CAWELAID=1842512668&CAGPSPN=pla&catargetid=500002510000023445&cadevice=c&gclid=CITfraD5ysMCFQySaQod02IABw
Quote by dimarzio77
Sounds like you might like a Gibson SG. Baseball bat necks, great sustain, med. output pickups and still classy enough for church gigs. As with any guitar, you can drop a lot of money on these, but with the 70s tribute, futura models, and specials, you can't go wrong.
http://www.samash.com/gibson-sg-tribute-70s-electric-guitar-vintage-starburst-gsgtr7v5c?cm_mmc=GoogleShopping-_-Guitars-_-Channeladvisor-_-Gibson+SG+Tribute+%2770s+Electric+Guitar+(Vintage+Sunburst)&utm_source=GSH&utm_medium=CSE&utm_campaign=Channeladvisor&CAWELAID=1842512668&CAGPSPN=pla&catargetid=500002510000023445&cadevice=c&gclid=CITfraD5ysMCFQySaQod02IABw

I second this. I've always loved the SG.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Ya i was gonna say lol if he's looking for "beefy" "thick" "chunky" Schecter is definitely not the brand to go with
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

Quote by Acϵ♠
Ya i was gonna say lol if he's looking for "beefy" "thick" "chunky" Schecter is definitely not the brand to go with

Yeah, I suppose not. At least not if he's looking for THAT chunky. I only mentioned em because people do actually complain about their necks being thick all the time. But I guess that's just Ibanez and Jackson players who consider them thick by the crazy thin standards of shredders.
I am quite fond of my Ibanez Artist mine is a AR 325. I always wanted to try out the Hagstrom. Go see what is used locally too you might find a good deal.
1) Do those Omegas have maple caps/tops? If not, do the ebony fretboards give it some brightness?

2) That Gibson 70s Tribute SG looks awesome! Though the Dirty Fingers pickup set makes me pause as I do need those cleans to be nice...
Quote by the_bi99man
Yeah, I suppose not. At least not if he's looking for THAT chunky. I only mentioned em because people do actually complain about their necks being thick all the time. But I guess that's just Ibanez and Jackson players who consider them thick by the crazy thin standards of shredders.

what? really lol? all the shecters ive had (c-1 classic, c-1 exotic, tempest standard) felt like that weird C shape, but were definitely not close to being "chunky" or "beefy." They do have fairly thin/not beefy necks and bodies.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
Bitches be Crazy.

Quote by Always-Ben
1) Do those Omegas have maple caps/tops? If not, do the ebony fretboards give it some brightness?

Most of the Omegas do not, but one of the Omega Primes does.
http://www.electraguitar.com/products/eofmn-eoc

Quote by Always-Ben
I guess the one question I have is that they seem to have jumbo frets...any problems with intonation as a result? I do a lot of lead work past the 12th fret in addition to general rhythm stuff, depending on the song, so it is important to me.(

If you've got a light touch, you won't have problems with jumbo frets. If you're a gorilla gripper and insist on pulling the string down to the fretboard, there'll be issues.

There *can* be issues with jumbo frets that are WIDER, however, in regard to fret wear over time. As the crown on a fret begins to flatten out, the point where it actually forms the note can shift (usually forward), and you'll hear it. The cure is simple; get the frets leveled and crowned accurately when you start spotting the problem. The preventative maintenance is to have a longer wearing fret material (such as stainless, etc.) either when you buy the guitar or when you refret.
Well, just went into a local guitar shop and tried out some Les Pauls and SG's they had in stock, with LPJ and SG 50s Tribute respectively. The former's neck I wasn't feeling, the latter was pretty good! So now we have a bit of a baseline to go off of! I didn't get the 50s Tribute, in case people were wondering, because it had P90's and the feel of the neck was offset by the infamous SG neck dive.
Glad you like the SG. I've been using Dimarzio Super Distortion pickups for years and play a lot of clean and have no problems with the hot pups.