Ok, so I have a 1999 Ibanez RG470 (MIJ), I bought it off eBay maybe 2 years ago. I absolutely love it. I play it way more then my Jackson and Gibson. The only thing is the trem. Its not terrible but Id like to maybe getting something new and more reliable. They were supposed to have the lo-trs trems however, the guy I bought it from put in an Edge 3 trem.

I think I have asked this before but reading a bit more some people from the net that people are saying an OFR will direct fit into the guitar. I have little to no knowledge of working on guitars so I will probably take it to my tech. I'm wondering if anyone on this forum can indeed confirm that its a direct fit and perhaps review their results?

I know most people will say to just get a RG550 or something with a better trem but I honestly like this guitar so much that I what to customize/personalize it instead of getting rid of it.

Thanks!
Just another Sheep in the design of the Almighty Machine.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
The Edge Pro and Original Floyd Rose both fit the Edge 3 cavity.
What would you think is a better trem to put in?

But that's awesome news!
Thanks! =D

-GEAR-
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
I have used both and honestly both are great. My 1570 has an Edge Pro and I think I may like the feel of it better. You can't go wrong either way.
it depends on what he's done to fit the edge 3

the lo-trs (i think) is more or less a direct swap for an OFR, but the studs are smaller so if you want to use the OFR studs you'd need to drill bigger holes.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
it depends on what he's done to fit the edge 3

the lo-trs (i think) is more or less a direct swap for an OFR, but the studs are smaller so if you want to use the OFR studs you'd need to drill bigger holes.

Would it probably be the same for the edge trem as well?

-GEAR-
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
Depending on what you want to spend, personally I would get an OFR or Schaller Licensed, replacement Ibanez trems are rather costly. I can get an OFR or Schaller then upgrade to a brass big block, stainless screws, noiseless springs and titanium saddle blocks for the price that Ibanez is asking.

http://shop.ibanez.com/c/parts-accessories_electric-guitar-parts_bridges-and-tremolos
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Feb 5, 2015,
Found this on an Ibanez site.

on IBANEZ EDGE-III cavity:

• Ibanez Edge into Edge-III cavity: NO

• Ibanez Lo-Pro Edge into Edge-III cavity: NO

• Ibanez Edge-Pro into Edge-III cavity: YES

• Original Floyd Rose into Edge-III cavity: YES

• Schaller Floyd Rose into Edge-III cavity: NO
Reading on Jemsite, an OFR should be a direct replacement for the lo-trs. Which makes sense since the Edge 3 is also a direct swap for an OFR or a Edge Pro.

So you should be good to go with either the Edge Pro or OFR.
Quote by Fallenoath
Would it probably be the same for the edge trem as well?

I actually don't know
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The Gotoh 1996 should also fit. We swapped a Lo-TRS in a later 90s RG470 for a 1996 with no issues. Again, the studs are bigger if you want to use the Gotoh Studs. The only issue with changing studs is that there isn't' a lot of wood in the cavity to hold the bigger studs. You get a pretty thin sidewall towards the back of the cavity.