I found an ad selling a 2007 Gibson Les Paul Custom Wine. The owner describes it as in excellent condition, with the worst "damage" being a mark to the right of the flash in the last picture (Pic 6). Is there any way based on these pictures to verify whether it is real? Is there anything I should watch out for when I go to check it out in person to determine if it has been repaired or if it is fake? He originally listed it for $2300 but was willing to go down to $1800. Also, what separates this guitar from other Les Paul Customs? Is 2007 a good year, or would it be better to go for an earlier/later one? If so, why? Or at least, what are the differences in materials, hardware, etc. Thanks!

Here are the pictures I took from the post:

https://imageshack.com/a/5vpz/1
Last edited by Pacarazzi at Feb 5, 2015,
Can you possibly get closer pictures of the front and back of the headstock?

Looks good from a distance tho.
Charvel DX-1 FR / DS-1 ST / DC-1 FR / Custom Strat / La Patrie Hybrid CW / Vypyr 30 / VK100 / 1960A
at work and couldn't view pics. the one thing that i would wonder about is that he is selling pretty cheap for a LP custom. nothing about 2007 makes it special nor the color really.
Some people just aren't greedy on craigslist or wherever they sell it, like me. I always darn near give stuff away.

There are vids on youtube showing how to tell Gibson fakes. 1 thing that stuck out to me was that the fingerboard binding should be OVER the frets. I know Gibson changed this recently on some of the LP's, but 2007 should still have the binding over the frets. I can't tell from those pics, though.
If it's a fake, he sure did do a good job matching it with that sweet case. Definitely the same that come with most Customs.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by JustRooster
If it's a fake, he sure did do a good job matching it with that sweet case. Definitely the same that come with most Customs.

Or he just bought a used Gibson case and stuck a Trade Tang guitar inside.

Looking at the guitar I’d guess that the finish is killing the resale value. Transparent red with a black fretboard and gold hardware isn’t a typical design for a LP Custom. It looks kind of like a tacky Schecter without the quilt top.
Quote by jpnyc

Looking at the guitar I’d guess that the finish is killing the resale value. Transparent red with a black fretboard and gold hardware isn’t a typical design for a LP Custom. .

Ebony fretboards with real MOP blocks and gold hardware is standard for an LP Custom, pretty much since they started making them, as is multilayer binding on the front and back of the body, single layer on the fretboard. Multilayer again on the larger-than-standard headstock with the split diamond inlay (that inlay is often done wrong on fakes).
Quote by dspellman
Ebony fretboards with real MOP blocks and gold hardware is standard for an LP Custom, pretty much since they started making them, as is multilayer binding on the front and back of the body, single layer on the fretboard. Multilayer again on the larger-than-standard headstock with the split diamond inlay (that inlay is often done wrong on fakes).

My point was that most people don’t order them with the red finish. People usually buy customs in either black or white. People who want a blinged out red guitars are usually spending a lot less.
Quote by Tony Done
Does anyone know if the fakers have started doing the crenellated binding on the fretboard? The misalignment of the control cavity coverplate also used to be a good indicator, but they fixed that.

There are fakes out with fretendbinding....
Quote by paruwi
There are fakes out with fretendbinding....

A person can get anything faked with a custom order from a Chinese counterfeit shop. And there are probably lots of guys who bought a $500 custom from Guandong, hated it, and are now trying to unload it on a sucker.
Im not an expert but it looks ok to me for all the usual Chibson markers. I don't mind it, even the missus says it looks nice...
There's nothing about the guitar that screams "fake" to me, in the pictures that have been provided.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Yeah, it definitely doesn't scream fake, but better pictures are pretty much necessary. There's not even a close or high enough resolution shot to see the detail of the Gibson logo, or the truss rod cover. Shot of the serial number would be nice.
Bridge is correct... Most of the Chibsons screw this up and chuck an Epi one on it...
wrong case for a custom but that's the only glaring thing i see.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I own three fake Chibson's and I don't see anything on this guitar that looks wrong. I think it is either a real Gibson or someone did a great job of changing and aging specific hardware parts that would identify it as a fake like that bridge and bridge posts that definitely are not Chinese. It looks right to me but a better picture of the headstock with the serial number would be the best way to check on it.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Feb 6, 2015,
It looks legit. Everything looks correct.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Quote by Tony Done
Does anyone know if the fakers have started doing the crenellated binding on the fretboard? The misalignment of the control cavity coverplate also used to be a good indicator, but they fixed that.

By "crenellated," do you mean the binding over the fret ends? "Nibs?"
Actually, there are some fakes that come with that.

And Gibson has just done away with it on most of their guitars; last year they put out some videos that touted fret ends OVER binding as an upgrade, almost as if they'd invented it.

I guess now there'll be a scramble to duplicate the new brass nut...
I've seen some fakes with the fret nibs, but the fret nibs are not the same shape as they are on the real Gibsons. The nibs on quite a lot of the fakes are round instead of square.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Quote by jpnyc
My point was that most people don’t order them with the red finish. People usually buy customs in either black or white. People who want a blinged out red guitars are usually spending a lot less.

This is one of the reasons I´d say it´s legit. If you go through the trouble of faking a Les Paul Custom you might as well do it in the sought after black or white instead of red!

Other than that, I can´t discover any of the mistakes you find on most fakes.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I've seen some fakes with the fret nibs, but the fret nibs are not the same shape as they are on the real Gibsons. The nibs on quite a lot of the fakes are round instead of square.

I have a Greco from the 70s with nibs. But then, the Japanese took pride in their work.
Quote by kentuckyklira
I have a Greco from the 70s with nibs. But then, the Japanese took pride in their work.

ok?
Quote by TheSennaj
While you can't see the back of the headstock to check for wings the diamond inlay looks good. I've yet to see a fake get this correct. The asking price for a used Custom that is not CS specs is lower than a Re-Issue. The model shown will have none of the Custom Shop appointments (ABR Bridge, light weight aluminum tailpiece, tortoise dot side inlays, BB PUs or long neck tenon) so it retails for less a RI Version and sells for less used than an RI Version.
As for good and bad years, well you just have to play it and see. At least this one will have an Ebony board where the newer ones will be richlite.
Moving on.....
Quote by dspellman
By "crenellated," do you mean the binding over the fret ends? "Nibs?"
Actually, there are some fakes that come with that.

Yeah, the fret-end binding.

And Gibson has just done away with it on most of their guitars; last year they put out some videos that touted fret ends OVER binding as an upgrade, almost as if they'd invented it.

I guess now there'll be a scramble to duplicate the new brass nut...

Oh, I love Gibson's world view. I have an'82 Matsumoku 335 knockoff with a brass nut, I wonder if the Gibson move will make it more collectable? In spite of all their nonsense, I'm still a fan.