Hey all, I'm getting better at my home recording hobby and I am wondering what the advantages of using a paid-for plug in such as EZ Drummer, Superior Drummer, etc. are.

Currently I am using "ReaSamplOmatic5000" in reaper to play back my drum samples. I am getting better (still a ways to go though) at making the drums sound decent, although it is tedious.

Do these paid for plug-ins make programming drum parts or importing guitar pro drum midi files easier? Do they sound better?

Thanks

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
Quote by Tremolo Bum

Do these paid for plug-ins make programming drum parts or importing guitar pro drum midi files easier? Do they sound better?
Thanks

Yes.
Simple as that, really. The new midi stuff in EZDrummer 2 is really useful if you can't be bothered to sit and program something you don't need to.
Check out Steven Slate as well, amazing samples.
Gear:
EBMM Bongo HS 4
EBMM Sting Ray 5
Eden D410T
Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
Tech 21 Sansamp RPM
Art 341 Dual Channel EQ
QSC GX5 Power Amp
They usually work the same and sound better.

Biggest advantage in using dedicated samplers for that kinda stuff is that you already have round robins recorded and mapped for each hit most of the times.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
They usually work the same and sound better.

Biggest advantage in using dedicated samplers for that kinda stuff is that you already have round robins recorded and mapped for each hit most of the times.

What is a "round robin"?

Currently, I have a good sample pack I downloaded with multiple samples for each drum.

Let's take the kick for example. I have 7 samples of the same kick drum with each sounding a tiny bit different. I have all seven loaded into my "kick" track and I alternate which sample plays for each kick as well as editing the velocities to give it a more realistic feel. Currently I do this all manually.

Do the plug-ins allow me to do this easier or are they just big sample packs with a graphic interface? Right now I'm getting my drum tracks using free samples and plug-ins. Is the roughly $150 price tag for a drum program worth it do you think?

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
Quote by Tremolo Bum
Currently, I have a good sample pack I downloaded with multiple samples for each drum.
The alternation of different samples of the same sound is a round robin.

You basically have multiple samples of the same drum hit mapped to the same key, and the sampler play a different sample at each key pressing.
Quote by Tremolo Bum
Do the plug-ins allow me to do this easier or are they just big sample packs with a graphic interface?
They all offer advantages.

Then there are the sample packs alone, which you can load into your sampler of choice.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Hi, I also am very interested in different ways of getting drum tracks, I recently bought a Boss DR3. Wondering if anyone has tried to use one of those and if they are any good, I have not used it yet but intend to take it into the studio and try it out. The plug ins sound great!, I feel perhaps I should have went in that direction.
I started out on the Real SamplOMatic and moved on to Steven Slate. The short answer is that yes, depending on the quality of the plugin there will be advantages. Among Steven Slate's are the ability to have all of the drum sounds on the same track without the kinds of gymnastics needed to make a sample set, guaranteed high-quality samples (SamplOMatic is only as good as whatever you can scrounge up or make yourself, it's hard to use existing packs with), the ability to manipulate the micing, volume, pan, etc. directly from the plugin... basically, all sorts of extra features that you don't realize you probably need until you actually have them available.

The visual interface is handy, too.