Sooooo....I got a Mesa Traditional 4x12

I've been looking for a 4x12 cabinet for quite some time now. I've been through several 2x12 cabinets (Avatar and Splawn) and wanted to see (feel) for myself all the glory that is the 4x12. I sold the Avatar to Gregs1020 to fund the Spalwn cab. Now, obviously I've played through quite few 4x12s in my time - mostly at Guitar Center and some other local momnpop type shops but you really can't dig into everything until it is in your environment with your gear. I will say, that this purchase was one of the hardest I've ever made. Mainly just trying to figure out what speakers and cab build.

I guess I'm lucky because my basement man-cave area (happens to also be where I work) is carpeted and drywalled so acoustically it is a really good environment. I was concerned that an angled cab would be a bit too much in the upper register. I also read a lot of forum advice that straight cabs are best for the full on metalcore type stuff that I like. I decided to go against my instinct and listen to some others (like Cathbard) who said that my ears are not at my knees. Sound advice

I had looked hard and almost pulled the trigger on a Diamond cab (didn't really care for the grill), a Marshall Mode 4 cab (rec by Robbnarly I think), a Diezel cab (was not made in Germany and had inferior speakers and build quality), Bogner Uberkab (too expensive at $749), some Marshall 1960s, some Crate and Krank cabs, some Egnater cabs, and even a Splawn cab. I came really close to the Splawn 4x12 and then Ippon made a good point - why get 4 more speakers that you already have (Small Blocks). That got me off that cab and back to what I was looking at originally....Mesa Cabs.

I specifically wanted the Traditional vs the Oversized. I hear a lot of rumblings that the Oversized cab is boomy. They are actually really hard to tell the difference but the OS cab is 2" taller. There were lots of Oversized cabs on Guitar Center's used section and the Traditionals proved to be very hard to find. Now I see why. The Mesa cab makes sense aesthetically obviously (to match my Rectoverb) but it is also loaded with 'made for Mesa' Vintage 30s. The angled cab did take a bit to get used to as it is so in your face Tonally, I think I am getting a better representation of my tone. The Vintage 30s do have a bit more fizz on the top end that I'm not used to but it is in no way all that bad or noticeable. It is obviously very well made and this particular one had very little in scuffs or bruises. I got some pics sent to me of other cabs that were exactly the same in the same price range and they were in far worse condition.

Moral there - do not make knee jerk decisions. Take your time!

Price paid: $599

I tried to talk them down off of that price and asked for $50 off to cover shipping basically. They couldn't budge off of that price but they DID throw in a Snark tuner and 3 foot speaker cable (which I was going to buy anyway). It also came with casters and was packed and shipped very well. I got Monday. Also, this purchase was mostly from GC credits and gift cards so it was GC or bust.

Well, that's it. Thanks for stopping by. There are some more pics below including unboxing and family pics. As you can see I've got the Spalwn cab back up on a chest like I used to have it. Decided to get my tone off the ****ing floor. I found one of my wifes beach blankets and I was pleasently surprised how well it works

For all those that say digital modeling and lunchboxes are the future of amps I say **** you! Go big or go home. Nothing (for now) can substitute lots of big iron and speaker cone surface area.

(you may also notice a Weber grill peaking through on some shots - my other pass-time)

Enjoy!

Very nice. Good choice.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Ippon
Is it as minty as it looks in the pics?

Post pics in the Mesa thread.

Yeah. It is. I'm pretty stoked. I'm a bit OCD like that anyway so after hunting and hunting and NOT pulling the trigger on some of the other Mesa cabs I was interested in due to scuffs, tears, marks etc I couldn't be happier.

I'll get her in the Mesa thread later. Completely wiped out right now due to a rough day at work.

PS: Get a Bad Monkey. The second output can be run to another amp. The Rectoverb and the Quick Rod together (finally) is tonal bliss to my ears
Gorgeous man, congrats!
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
Honestly my playing is awful enough that I don’t ever want to hear it coming out a a 4x12 being pushed by a 50 watt Rectifier. But you probably sound better than me so congrats!
Congrats -- always wanted one of those. My 412 is a Crate that I picked up for 50 bucks and sold the speakers out of for $100. After putting all Eminence speakers in it, it sounds amazing but I can never help but wonder if I'm missing something by not running a Mesa or Orange cab...
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
where's the pool table?

grats on teh cabzorz 311!
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Nice choice 311

I only know one person with a mesa traditional cab and he uses a triple recto through it (sounds huge)
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Killer.

That back door ever make you nervous? I see it in all your pics, and it seems like someone prowling around would have to pick their jaw up off the floor after a quick peak... I think I'd hang a sheet or something so a potential burglar wouldn't know what they were getting. Just a thought.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
Killer.

That back door ever make you nervous? I see it in all your pics, and it seems like someone prowling around would have to pick their jaw up off the floor after a quick peak... I think I'd hang a sheet or something so a potential burglar wouldn't know what they were getting. Just a thought.

We now have ATT Digital Live Security and that door has a triple locking system on it so I feel safer now And yes, when I'm gone for extended periods of time I do throw a blanket over the whole thing.

Quote by gregs1020
where's the pool table?

grats on teh cabzorz 311!

Pool table is still there but you have to admit - we never really played much pool on it, we used it to display our guitars

(greg has the good ones )

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

Price paid: $599

For all those that say digital modeling and lunchboxes are the future of amps I say **** you! Go big or go home. Nothing (for now) can substitute lots of big iron and speaker cone surface area.

Hard to get rid of a 4x12 here in Los Angeles for more than about $200. I don't know where you're located, but I need to be trolling hooks for players in your area. I've got four 4x12s I don't use much any more, except for stage decoration. They take up a lot of storage space.

There's always been a substitute for speaker cone surface area, and that's Xmax (speaker cone excursion) and intelligent cabinet design. It's about moving a *volume* of air. Lots of guitar players don't get that. I used to carry a couple of 100 lb 4x12s for a 100W amp (another 50 lbs) and fully realized that above 500Hz the cabinets beam treble and below 110Hz there's just not much there, but it was good theater to have the big cabs.

Now I can carry a 50 lb cabinet that will fit in the Honda FIT, handle 900W, work cleanly down low even with a 5-string bass and that has great dispersion (walk anywhere in front of the cabinet and it sounds the same). And I power it with a 10-lb amp that puts out 900W RMS, bridged, mono, at 8 ohms. With two cabinets, the amp, bridged/mono, puts out 1500W RMS at 4 ohms.

I'm sure you opened up a number of 4x12s to check build quality during your search. Too many guitarists check build quality by peering at the logo or squinting at a manufacturer's advertising copy and spec sheet.

You'd be amazed how many amp manufacturers share the same cabinet builder. Friend of mine fixes amps. I walked into his shop one day and he had the backs off three 4x12s. He said, "Can you tell me, without walking around the front of these cabinets, which one is $900, which is $500 and which is $280?" They looked virtually identical, same speakers, with four walls, a baffle for speakers and a stick (2x2 or 2x4) coming out of the center. Same thickness of birch plywood in each. No difference in build quality at all. Same 30x30 x14" dimensions, give or take. I could NOT pick out brand or price. Wanna make a guess as to the manufacturer of this one?

I talked to one 4x12 builder at NAMM who touted his amazing finger-joined and proprietary glue corners by driving over one of his 4x12s with a huge pickup. The cabinet was destroyed, but the magnificent corners were intact, and he was absolutely triumphant about it. Not the first time I've wondered about the thought processes involved. Mills Acoustic makes a 4x12 with something they call "Afterburner" technology. Instead of the stick in the center, they have a flat piece of wood with circular holes in it. No, seriously.

Congrats on your new cabinet. Looks nice.
Last edited by dspellman at Feb 6, 2015,
^ but your little cab will never impress any ladies like a big 4x12 that only a real man can move around, so you loose right there
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
What a big, beautiful monster! HNCD!
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
We now have ATT Digital Live Security and that door has a triple locking system on it so I feel safer now

You should. That's good for an extra 25 seconds or so.
Quote by dspellman
Hard to get rid of a 4x12 here in Los Angeles <snip>

Quote by dspellman
You should. That's good for an extra 25 seconds or so.

Love ya dude, but your opinions are well known, quit being a douche in his happy day thread!

Congrats 311, looks great!

Also, 25 extra seconds is plenty of time to retrieve your secondary security system and arm it...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Feb 6, 2015,
Quote by Robbgnarly
^ but your little cab will never impress any ladies like a big 4x12 that only a real man can move around, so you loose right there

Good point. I'll have to rethink that.

Then again, I've got a better class of roadies these days...

Last edited by dspellman at Feb 6, 2015,
wow awesome

i reckon that's probably a good choice for the tones you were after and the mesa amp
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Arby911
Love ya dude, but your opinions are well known, quit being a douche in his happy day thread!

I should eat a Snickers.

I'm not myself when I'm hungry.

Quote by dspellman
I should eat a Snickers.

I'm not myself when I'm hungry.

I hope for your sake you're better looking than Danny Trejo...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Very nice!
Just another Sheep in the design of the Almighty Machine.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
How does it compare to an Avatar 2x12? That's my current setup and I've been tempted to try and find a Mesa 4x12 traditional for a while. Seems like they're hard to find.

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
We now have ATT Digital Live Security and that door has a triple locking system on it so I feel safer now And yes, when I'm gone for extended periods of time I do throw a blanket over the whole thing.

Pool table is still there but you have to admit - we never really played much pool on it, we used it to display our guitars

(greg has the good ones )

I figured you'd thought it through somehow, just seemed pretty vulnerable... Glad you've got it secure, that's a mighty fine amp rig.

Damnit, stop posting that orange strat.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by Arby911

I hope for your sake you're better looking than Danny Trejo...

I wish, for my sake, that I were.
Quote by jpnyc
Honestly my playing is awful enough that I don’t ever want to hear it coming out a a 4x12 being pushed by a 50 watt Rectifier. But you probably sound better than me so congrats!

I seriously doubt that dude

Quote by Arby911

Also, 25 extra seconds is plenty of time to retrieve your secondary security system and arm it...

+1

Quote by Tremolo Bum
How does it compare to an Avatar 2x12? That's my current setup and I've been tempted to try and find a Mesa 4x12 traditional for a while. Seems like they're hard to find.

I really liked the Avatar no question. I recommend them all the time in their price point. I'd consider buying one again. This is my first Vintage 30 cab so right now it is a matter of getting used to their frequencies etc. The thing is a monster. I would not want to gig with this 4x12. Sounds amazing. I'd def consider one. I saw some in the $499 range but they were rather beat up.

Quote by tubetime86
I figured you'd thought it through somehow, just seemed pretty vulnerable... Glad you've got it secure, that's a mighty fine amp rig.

Damnit, stop posting that orange strat.

I know right.

dspellman - I'll catch up on your posts later. Heading out for the weekend. Have a good one.
Shoulda got the Mode Four doe....

lol, HNGD!

So, Mesa through Splawn vs Mesa through Mesa. Differences?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Absolutely tastey cab.

Don't give me more Gas dude.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Arby911

+1 i don;t see the reason in your post. its a NGD not in debate. you don't have to throw your $.02 into everything in a way that is totally being an ass.

311 HNCD! i love my mesa cab. good deal on it too. i have one. its not as pretty but i did get some abuse. yours is a-****ing beautiful! i have mine paired with my mark.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Nice cab 311.
Mesa Boogie Single Rectoverb 50 series 2 combo
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
^ Thanks,

Quote by Offworld92
Shoulda got the Mode Four doe....

lol, HNGD!

So, Mesa through Splawn vs Mesa through Mesa. Differences?

Sorry. Was that you recommending the Mode 4 cab? I thought it was Rob.

Mesa sounds great with the Splawn cab. Right now I'd have to say it sounds better with the Splawn cab

Honestly though I'm barely into the honeymoon phase. Like, I just kissed the bride is all so far.

Quote by Ippon
The only Mesa head that worked with the Splawn 412 with Small Blocks, for me, was the Royal Atlantic RA100. I like the MB heads with the MB Traditional a lot; but, a Diezel with 4 V30s is even better.

Rectoverb sounds killer through my Small Block loaded 212.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
+1 i don;t see the reason in your post. its a NGD not in debate. you don't have to throw your $.02 into everything in a way that is totally being an ass.

It's mostly an NGD.

I think the $.02 was tossed in because of this in the original post:

Quote by dspellman
It's mostly an NGD.

to your expanse of knowledge and power
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by dspellman
It's mostly an NGD.

That was said mostly in jest and certainly not directed toward you. Anyone who knows me knows that I support all kinds of 'alternative' amplification and have used things like Fender G-Decs, Pod Farm and multi-effects units with plenty of success.
Quote by dspellman
It's mostly an NGD.

So what you mean is your butt hurts now?

Note to self: don't be an assclown

311 you still need to try a Krank rev 4x12 if you get the chance, awesome is all I can say. I'm about to get another Eminence GB128 and throw an X pattern of g12h30/GB128 only because the GB128 has a much better lowend than a G12m25

Which would be amazing for your splawn

Yes I was the MF voice. They are rad cabs If you ever have a chance to play one
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Feb 9, 2015,
I s'pose we both were then. I definitely linked an MF400. Price was good too.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Why wouldn't you want to gig with it? They're a great gigging cab. Yeah, they're big and heavy but nothing that a trolley can't move around easily enough. You just gotta be set up for it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Why wouldn't you want to gig with it? They're a great gigging cab. Yeah, they're big and heavy but nothing that a trolley can't move around easily enough. You just gotta be set up for it.

Well you know Cath most Americans are fat and lazy.....besides me of course
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate