Page 1 of 2
Hi guys,

I've tried googling this but I've had no joy and I know there's Maths geeks in here.

I'm trying to workout how I would find the end result of the following:

Start with 5,000 then divide it by 1.5, and the result then multiplied by 1.53, then that result by 1.53 and so on. I need to find out what the end result would be after 104 times of doing these sums and I don't particularly feel like doing each sum 104 times

Thanks guys
Quote by thePTOD
I love you.
Raise it to the power of 104. So (5000/1.5)*1.53^104.

Why do you need to know this and why do I feel like I've somehow helped you cheat on your homework.
Quote by mind_meld
Raise it to the power of 104. So (5000/1.5)*1.53^104.

Why do you need to know this and why do I feel like I've somehow helped you cheat on your homework.

Awesome. Thank you, I was struggling with that.

I'm due a bonus and being stationed in America I've worked out I can send it back to the UK and bring it back to the states and potentially make a reasonable amount of money from it just from the fluctuating exchange rate
Quote by thePTOD
I love you.
I've not done maths for a while so I'm fully prepared to be laughed at for getting it horribly wrong..... but would it not be (5000/1.5)*1.53 and then using a scientific calculator ((ans/1.5)*1.53)*103

I don't know how you'd express the 'answer' function on a calculator as an equation though.
Quote by Junglie
Awesome. Thank you, I was struggling with that.

I'm due a bonus and being stationed in America I've worked out I can send it back to the UK and bring it back to the states and potentially make a reasonable amount of money from it just from the fluctuating exchange rate

No worries!
Quote by mind_meld
No worries!

Yeah, I can't seem to get that to work on a calculator
Quote by thePTOD
I love you.
Quote by Junglie
Yeah, I can't seem to get that to work on a calculator

OK are you using a scientific calculator?

Also how exactly did you come up with that equation and where did you get the numbers from/what do these numbers I've just unquestioningly plugged in actually mean?
Quote by Wormholes
1 does not equal .9 repeated

If .333 recurring is a third, and 3 thirds are a whole, then logically .999 recurring equals 1.

There's a video on YouTube 9.999 reasons why .999 equals 1.
or you could search the 200 page circus of a thread we had here about it
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
Quote by Wormholes
1 does not equal .9 repeated

It's too early for this shit.
I stand by my former reasoning.

Theoretically .9 repeated does not equal 1, but in all practical aspects it does.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Quote by c3powil
Theoretically .9 repeated does not equal 1, but in all practical aspects it does.

...do you know what numbers are? Not those bizarre scribbles we use to notate them, but numbers in-and-of-themselves?
Guys I have two candy bars. One for myself and then two more people get a full candy bar each. Because 2=3 because lol math isn't real.
Quote by McTodd
Guys guys guys we sorted this out a long time ago
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=29702493&postcount=318

In my applied mechanics earlier in the week, like 80% of the class got all of the questions wrong because they rounded 49.98459 to 50 ect. and got a load of rounding errors, and then carried them forward. Quite amusing really, I don't get what's so hard about leaving stuff as 6Pi or as a fraction

but yeah, theoretical maths and mechanical maths are different, very different
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
people that like math tend to be lousy people from my experience
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777

agreed
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by Fat Lard
0.888 = 0.999, just erase the bottom left parts of the 8s

I stand corrected
ok so there's this cool super secret trick to get free money

basically we both put $20 in a box so there $40 in the box

then i sell the box to you for $30 dollars and we both make $10

then repeat for infinite money
Quote by So-Cal
ok so there's this cool super secret trick to get free money

basically we both put $20 in a box so there $40 in the box

then i sell the box to you for $30 dollars and we both make $10

then repeat for infinite money

this would be funny if it weren't terrifying.
it's how the super rich get richer

it's just that they can afford to do it with larger sums of cash and bigger boxes
Quote by So-Cal
it's how the super rich get richer

it's just that they can afford to do it with larger sums of cash and bigger boxes

Quote by theogonia777

should I take this personally.
Quote by mind_meld
should I take this personally.

are you a lousy person
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by AnnihiSlateR
I've not done maths for a while so I'm fully prepared to be laughed at for getting it horribly wrong..... but would it not be (5000/1.5)*1.53 and then using a scientific calculator ((ans/1.5)*1.53)*103

I don't know how you'd express the 'answer' function on a calculator as an equation though.

well it would be 5000 * (1.53/1.5)^103 in standard notation
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Quote by theogonia777

Seconded.

Math people, do the world a favor and be cool.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Facesitting is a violation of freedom of speech, because how can you speak when you have an ass covering your face?
i hate maths and i'm an awful person
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
Quote by mind_meld
Well I like maths... please define parameters of 'lousy'

if you have to ask you are lousy
Quote by mind_meld
Well I like maths... please define parameters of 'lousy'

i'm in my 2nd year of maths @ uni now and i still like maths. i'd rather do maths than any essay-based subject, it's a very unique subject and should be considered by anyone that has a nice understanding of it.
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Quote by Bladez22
In my applied mechanics earlier in the week, like 80% of the class got all of the questions wrong because they rounded 49.98459 to 50 ect. and got a load of rounding errors, and then carried them forward. Quite amusing really, I don't get what's so hard about leaving stuff as 6Pi or as a fraction

but yeah, theoretical maths and mechanical maths are different, very different

I used to do this, such a n00b error

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Page 1 of 2