So here's my story......

I currently have a Fender Hotrod Deluxe and a Vox AC30C2 Limited Edition.

However, I want to upgrade my guitar so I'm thinking of selling my Vox AC30C2 to "downgrade" to a Vox AC15, as I only use the Vox AC30C2 as a back-up in terms of sound (I sometimes play through two amps at the same time to get a nice blend of tones but I mainly rely on my Fender).

So my question is as follows:

Is the Vox AC15 "loud enough" to use alongside the fender hotrod deluxe for live gigs?
Also, in terms of sound "quality", is there much difference between the Vox AC15s and Vox AC30s?
Wouldn't really be looking to use it for recording, just as a live back up or to play through both fender and the vox amps at the same time.

Opinions please???? Or maybe you can suggest alternative amp options??
main diff between the 15 and 30 is headroom. you can get cleaner tones at the same volume with the 30. of course if you play the 30 overdriven you should be fine with the 15.
Yeah the 15 will be fine. I used to have a 15C2 and that was hella loud. As said above, the main difference will be headroom rather than volume. Just bear in mind that the 15 isn't quite the same animal as the 30 and has a few less features (no fx loop, one knob for reverb instead of two and no high-low inputs) but you're probably already aware of that. Still great sounding. And the 1x12 is quite a bit smaller and lighter too.

What's guitar are you playing currently and how badly do you need a new one? Just saying the 30 is quite an amp, just don't want you to be sad you let her go.
Quote by UnmagicMushroom
Yeah the 15 will be fine. I used to have a 15C2 and that was hella loud. As said above, the main difference will be headroom rather than volume. Just bear in mind that the 15 isn't quite the same animal as the 30 and has a few less features (no fx loop, one knob for reverb instead of two and no high-low inputs) but you're probably already aware of that. Still great sounding. And the 1x12 is quite a bit smaller and lighter too.

What's guitar are you playing currently and how badly do you need a new one? Just saying the 30 is quite an amp, just don't want you to be sad you let her go.

Thanks for the quick responses guys!!

I currently have a Fender Jaguar Blacktop HH which was bought around £400, I've had it quite a while now but I just feel like an upgrade, maybe increase my budget to around £600.

It is a good amp, but for my ears (and needs) it doesn't quite cut through the mix like the Fender, so it's sort of surplus to requirements at the moment.

Has anyone else used the Vox AC15 as a second amp to play through two amps at the same time? I guess I'm a still very much a beginner in the world of playing through two amps simultaneously!!!

Thanks.
You're going to have a tough time keeping the AC15 clean if you want it to keep up with the Hot Rod! That's a big difference in wattage and headroom.

Do you enjoy playing the Jaguar? The other thing you could think about is upgrading parts. I have a MIM Strat that I've just put new pickups and wiring in and it's a different animal now. And for the record, I have an AC30 which I would never want to let go of!
Quote by UnmagicMushroom

The AC15 has 2 inputs a normal and a top-boost
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
The AC15 has 2 inputs a normal and a top-boost

Even better then!
Best of both worlds. Dime the AC15 for plenty of tasty Brit crunch and use the HRD for shimmering clean tones. A good match.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
I wouldn't trade the AC30, but I'd recommend checking out the Peavey Classic 30 or 50 410. That way, you will still have the 6L6 and EL84 voices and enough headroom to keep up with the HRD.
Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe RI
Schecter C-1 Artist II
1978 Music Man HD130
+ a bunch of neat pedals

screamy emo band
Quote by jacko_17
Even better then!

You can even get an A/B switcher and use the AC15 as a 2 channel foot switchable amp.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by tom.jackson.92
You're going to have a tough time keeping the AC15 clean if you want it to keep up with the Hot Rod! That's a big difference in wattage and headroom.

Do you enjoy playing the Jaguar? The other thing you could think about is upgrading parts. I have a MIM Strat that I've just put new pickups and wiring in and it's a different animal now. And for the record, I have an AC30 which I would never want to let go of!

Yeh that's a good point. To what extent would the AC15 be struggling to keep up with the fender? If I was to run both amps simultaneously I wouldn't want the AC15 to be glisteningly clean, i'd still want a small bit of natural 'crunch' just to support and blend well with the fender deluxe. This thread is now making me think of just sticking with the Fender on it's own, hmm possibilities ......

Thanks.
The AC15 is going to be way more crunchy because you'll have to run it harder to match the volume of the HRD.
Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe RI
Schecter C-1 Artist II
1978 Music Man HD130
+ a bunch of neat pedals

screamy emo band
It really depends on the volume levels you play. Some people can get completely acceptable cleans from the AC15 at band levels, others can not.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by jacko_17
Yeh that's a good point. To what extent would the AC15 be struggling to keep up with the fender? If I was to run both amps simultaneously I wouldn't want the AC15 to be glisteningly clean, i'd still want a small bit of natural 'crunch' just to support and blend well with the fender deluxe. This thread is now making me think of just sticking with the Fender on it's own, hmm possibilities ......

Thanks.

Well I use an AC30 and a Classic 30 (mentioned above) which I find are a great combo. The Classic 30 seems to break up earlier because it's a 1x12 rather than the 2x12 of the AC30, but honestly the two of them together creates such a huge amount of noise that most venues would struggle with me running them at breakup level! As someone said above though, if you can combine a slightly dirtier amp with your Fender, that would also sound pretty sweet.
Quote by tom.jackson.92
Well I use an AC30 and a Classic 30 (mentioned above) which I find are a great combo. The Classic 30 seems to break up earlier because it's a 1x12 rather than the 2x12 of the AC30, but honestly the two of them together creates such a huge amount of noise that most venues would struggle with me running them at breakup level! As someone said above though, if you can combine a slightly dirtier amp with your Fender, that would also sound pretty sweet.

Yeh that was my thinking really, sounds like you have a good setup.

Based on this thread, thinking I might just have more of a play around with the AC30 (put the guitar buying on hold!!) see what I come up with.

Thanks for the help.