Page 1 of 4
I just saw this on Tumblr

'intelligence' isn't a natural neutral concept ok

it is socially constructed and is defined by ableist and racist norms

Is this true? Should we stop calling people intelligent? Or should we stop calling people stupid. Calling people stupid could arguably by "ableist" but intelligence is like calling someone hot and then that being discrimination against ugly people. Oh Tumblr.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Last edited by EndTheRapture51 at Feb 6, 2015,
There's someone in the pit with the username Ablast.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Facesitting is a violation of freedom of speech, because how can you speak when you have an ass covering your face?
I liek turdles
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
We should keep calling people stupid because whoever made that tumblr post is stupid

It sounds like they know they are stupid and are jealous of intelligent people.
I have nothing important to say

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
well, they're not wrong. Intelligence is a socially constructed concept. We decided what intelligence would mean as a society, and we didn't really ask minorities or those with disabilities for their input.

though I don't think it's a legitimate complaint, it is factually correcct
Quote by captaincrunk
well, they're not wrong. Intelligence is a socially constructed concept. We decided what intelligence would mean as a society, and we didn't really ask minorities or those with disabilities for their input.

though I don't think it's a legitimate complaint, it is factually correcct

What ISN'T socially constructed when you are a SJW?

I mean quantum mechanics isn't a "natural neutral concept" but doesn't mean it doesn't have a value

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Last edited by EndTheRapture51 at Feb 6, 2015,
To say that it's a social construct is true in the same way that the steam off your shit is a part of you because you created it. Its true but a bit meaningless.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
the steam off your shit is a part of you because you created it

woah

I wasnt emotionally prepared for this

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Agreed captain. It's not like intelligence is an evil thing completely. "Intelligent" and free thinking people helped push and shape society to what it is and hence it created the term for a higher mindset. Should we stop calling people intelligent? No, I don't think so. I can see that being a hinderance to new ideas on down the road.

Tumblr over thinking things...quite possibly.
i think that "intelligence" is a pretty problematic concept, and how we judge it, how we decide that it is manifested, is, in large part, socially constructed. however, i also think that saying it is strictly socially constructed makes the egregious error of ignoring the brain, which is not a social construct.

it is a valid critique, but you can only take it so far.
Why is this literally all that people who use the term "sjw" do
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
Quote by EndTheRapture51

so you wish to demean me and devalue my words by referring to me as one who advocates for the rights of those who lack a voice or the pedestal to be heard?

just want to make sure I understand you here
Quote by EndTheRapture51
I just saw this on Tumblr

Is this true? Should we stop calling people intelligent? Or should we stop calling people stupid. Calling people stupid could arguably by "ableist" but intelligence is like calling someone hot and then that being discrimination against ugly people. Oh Tumblr.

I could answer this for you, but you probably lack the capacity to understand the explanation anyway...

“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by captaincrunk
so you wish to demean me and devalue my words by referring to me as one who advocates for the rights of those who lack a voice or the pedestal to be heard?

just want to make sure I understand you here

You know what I mean by a SJW. Not someone great like Gandhi or MLK who stands up and does good work for the needy, but someone who goes and complains about life on their Tumblr blog.

No, I'm just saying that among SJW seemingly everything is socially constructed. And apparently that's a universally negative thing. But then you bring up biology or science but they dismiss that too. To you basically can't win.

I just think bringing up "social construction" is fairly pointless. Lots of things are socially constructed but doesn't make them automatically bad.

yeah like when you bring up that women tested show slightly inferior spacial awareness capabilities and so of course science is dominated by men, and rightly so. and it's like they don't even accept that. fukn sjw's
Rapture, stop visiting tumblr. I think that would be a good first step. Let all shitty ideas resonate in there without escape to the normal World or other forums. We need to add tumblr to the deepest dungeons of the deep web.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by EndTheRapture51
You know what I mean by a SJW.

I stated what I believed the term to mean. It seemed to not line up with the tone you were using. This is my attempt to understand your words, yet you insist that I must already know what they mean?

Quote by EndTheRapture51
Not someone great like Gandhi or MLK who stands up and does good work for the needy, but someone who goes and complains about life on their Tumblr blog.

Are you trying to say I don't do good work for the needy? Because I'm not a "social justice warrior", I'm a Social Worker. Do you know what that means? Or is it too socially constructed for you to figure out?
Quote by EndTheRapture51

No, I'm just saying that among SJW seemingly everything is socially constructed. And apparently that's a universally negative thing. But then you bring up biology or science but they dismiss that too. To you basically can't win.

I just think bringing up "social construction" is fairly pointless. Lots of things are socially constructed but doesn't make them automatically bad.

Where, in the tumblr post or anywhere, did someone say social constructs are bad?

Love is a social construct. Gay marriage is a social construct. "toddler" is a social construct. "Don't wear black belts with brown pants" is a social construct.

What are you trying to prove?
Quote by captaincrunk
I stated what I believed the term to mean. It seemed to not line up with the tone you were using. This is my attempt to understand your words, yet you insist that I must already know what they mean?

Are you trying to say I don't do good work for the needy? Because I'm not a "social justice warrior", I'm a Social Worker. Do you know what that means? Or is it too socially constructed for you to figure out?

Where, in the tumblr post or anywhere, did someone say social constructs are bad?

Love is a social construct. Gay marriage is a social construct. "toddler" is a social construct. "Don't wear black belts with brown pants" is a social construct.

What are you trying to prove?

Where did I call you a SJW? Stop being so self centred, everything I post isn't about you

Quote by EndTheRapture51
You know what I mean by a SJW. Not someone great like Gandhi or MLK who stands up and does good work for the needy, but someone who goes and complains about life on their Tumblr blog.

We got one of those damn science geniuses I keep hearin bout!
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Where did I call you a SJW? Stop being so self centred, everything I post isn't about you

I very seriously doubt that you didn't intend to call me a "SJW" given that you are very loose with the word, historically.

And this:
Quote by EndTheRapture51

has heavy implications

In any case, I find your use of the word, and more importantly your dismissive tone towards the rights of those less fortunate than yourself, to be deplorable as fuck. People like you make change more difficult for those who need it.
Super Jumpy Wieners, jumping at nonissues again
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
10/10 tread
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
How is intelligence not a natural concept like what even. Humans are born with the ability to learn and retain knowledge.
¯\_()_/¯
Quote by captaincrunk
I'm a Social Worker.

So you get paid to address someone else's misfortune with other people's money?

Yeah, you're a real hero...

Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Feb 6, 2015,
I dunno guys, but what I do know is that rapture's intelligent cos he's a scientist alright
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
Quote by Arby911
So you get paid to address someone else's misfortune with yet another person's money?

Social workers do more than government funding tho.
¯\_()_/¯
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Is this true? Should we stop calling people intelligent? Or should we stop calling people stupid.

You know what should happen? You need to have all your belongs destroyed in a natural disaster, lose your income, become homeless, and have everyone you once knew shun you. You should starve and grovel for a while. Then, when you get back on your feet, you'll stop this inane bullshit. You'll fully understand what privilege is if you can live and survive all of the events mentioned above, especially if you do not "deserve" to be treated as such.

Your coyness deserves an unforgiving boot to the face, asshole.
SGT. HARTMAN: Where in hell are you from anyway, Private?
COWBOY: Sir, Texas, sir!
SGT. HARTMAN: Holy dogshit! Texas! Only steers and queers come from Texas, Private Cowboy! And you don't look much like a steer to me, so that kinda narrows it down!! Do you suck dicks!?
COWBOY: Sir, no, sir!
SGT. HARTMAN: Are you a peter-puffer!?
SGT. HARTMAN: I'll bet you're the kind of guy that would fuck a person in the ass and not even have the goddamn common courtesy to give him a reach-around! I'll be watching you!!
Quote by CaptainCanti
Social workers do more than government funding tho.

Agreed, but it's still probable that he's both supported by and expends on the behalf of others money not his own, no?

The comment was intended as TIC however, hence the Smilie, I'm not entirely opposed to paid social work.

Quote by Zaphikh
You know what should happen? You need to have all your belongs destroyed in a natural disaster, lose your income, become homeless, and have everyone you once knew shun you. You should starve and grovel for a while. Then, when you get back on your feet, you'll stop this inane bullshit. You'll fully understand what privilege is if you can live and survive all of the events mentioned above, especially if you do not "deserve" to be treated as such.

Your coyness deserves an unforgiving boot to the face, asshole.

Here we go folks, THIS is how to win friends to your cause, how to convince people of the righteousness of your just endeavors!!

FFS!

Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Feb 6, 2015,
Quote by Arby911
Here we go folks, THIS is how to win friends to your cause, how to convince people of the righteousness of your just endeavors!!

FFS!

I'm not here to "win friends". That entire mindset needs to be rustled a bit. I'll gladly be your scapegoat if it means for a single moment that I can call out bullshit when I see it.

Social workers saved my ****ing life because the "safe and proper" people around me couldn't. I sincerely hope you get to live through the same one day.
SGT. HARTMAN: Where in hell are you from anyway, Private?
COWBOY: Sir, Texas, sir!
SGT. HARTMAN: Holy dogshit! Texas! Only steers and queers come from Texas, Private Cowboy! And you don't look much like a steer to me, so that kinda narrows it down!! Do you suck dicks!?
SGT. HARTMAN: Are you a peter-puffer!?
SGT. HARTMAN: I'll bet you're the kind of guy that would fuck a person in the ass and not even have the goddamn common courtesy to give him a reach-around! I'll be watching you!!
Last edited by Zaphikh at Feb 6, 2015,
Quote by Arby911

Wow, shitting on social workers 0/10 dude.
Quote by Arby911
Agreed, but it's still probable that he's both supported by and expends on the behalf of others money not his own, no?

Funding for social work is decreasing daily.
¯\_()_/¯
how the hell did you guys confuse "SJW" with "social worker"
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Last edited by vIsIbleNoIsE at Feb 6, 2015,
Quote by Blacknoise
Wow, shitting on social workers 0/10 dude.

Boo ****ing hoo, it was a joke, hence the smiley.

Quote by Zaphikh
I'm not here to "win friends". That entire mindset needs to be rustled a bit. I'll gladly be your scapegoat if it means for a single moment that I can call out bullshit when I see it.

Social workers saved my ****ing life because the "safe and proper" people around me couldn't. I sincerely hope you get to live through the same one day.

If you were the same person before your trials that you seem to be now, I'm not sure they did society a service.
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911

lol. right now I get paid to fix computers and sell tech at Staples but you're not far off from my past and future employment
Quote by Neo Evil11
Rapture, stop visiting tumblr. I think that would be a good first step. Let all shitty ideas resonate in there without escape to the normal World or other forums. We need to add tumblr to the deepest dungeons of the deep web.

I ONLY WENT ON TO LOOK AT RECENT PICS OF TAYLOR SWIFT

Either way, I do not agree that we do away with all ideas of abilities in the name of "ableism". Intelligence varies of course and some people who are bright and astute or not academically gifted and vice versa. But if you can't for example rank people by ability in a certain subject, things are going to go down in quality for example standards of education due to not being able to set people. In addition is implies we will do without with grades. Grades are a measure of intelligence + hard work and without them it's going to be a lot harder for people to get the information they need about things to make a judgement on how to help various people.

For example less "intelligent" or slower to learn people could learn things at a different rate in schools, and it will do a much better job for them than being thrown in at the deep end in various subjects. I was like this for maths.

Page 1 of 4