Page 1 of 5
who cares?
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
who cares?

People who are the victim of the spreading of diseases due to parents not vaccinating their kids.
if parents refuse to get their kids vaccinated they shouldn't be allowed to be parents anymore
this house is bitchin
Quote by Wormholes
No one should be forcing anyone to put anything into their body.

except if its to prevent the spread of life-threatening diseases
this house is bitchin
Sure why not.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Yea, I don't really want my kid getting ****ing measles because some dumb shit soccer mom decides to get medical advice from a playboy model

EDIT: obviously there are some exceptions, like people who could have an allergic reaction to them, but yea, we shouldn't really be seeing whooping cough and measles making a comeback ffs
Last edited by WCPhils at Feb 6, 2015,
I dunno about force because I'm not educated on any of this but if everything I believe is probably true is true then probably yes, at least on the couple of essentials I imagine there are. "It's my child and I can do what I want" is basically a diseased mindset that needs to be eradicated as much as actual diseases and I can't think of much basis other than that to be so opposed as to refuse completely proven-safe medicines.

But at the same time, be honest with the parents who are suspicious and just being super careful and stuff and if it's a religious thing respect that too. I mean I imagine that's how these things are mostly handled in the medical world but I think the parents definitely have the right to be completely educated on these vaccines and I don't blame them if they're a bit worried about it. Just try to ease that concern as much as possible I think without trying to escalate.
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
vaxx666ines r evil njoy da poison shot lololl
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Quote by CaptainCanti
except if its to prevent the spread of life-threatening diseases

While we are at it we need to force women to get abortions or throw away their baby if it has a severe mental illness. Neither the kid or the parents are going to have a real life because of that anyway.
it's all about the mumps these days

Last edited by MinterMan22 at Feb 6, 2015,
Quote by sact611
i dunno

autonomy is good
disease is bad

Well said.

Not a simple discussion.

For me personally, while I come down on the side of personal freedom on most (damn near all) issues, this is one where I'd reluctantly support requiring vaccines.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by sact611
i dunno

autonomy is good
disease is bad

mfw this is actually a good post.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by Wormholes
While we are at it we need to force women to get abortions or throw away their baby if it has a severe mental illness. Neither the kid or the parents are going to have a real life because of that anyway.

This is stupid because mental illnesses are not contagious, and probably what you are referring to (Down's Syndrome) isn't mental but physical/genetic?

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Quote by Wormholes

I hope you don't actually think this is a similar situation
real talks though, yes and no. there's a bunch of kids born with shitty conditions leaving their immune systems all ****ed up so they can't get vaccinated anyway and it would be pretty dumb to force that on them but at the same time it's for these kids that everyone else should be vaccinated to ensure they don't die from something entirely preventable yknow? with this new measles outbreak thing going on some parents literally can't send their kids to school because some next kid (most likely rocking a bowl haircut and old navy shorts) has a parent who won't vaccinate their kid and it's p sad but that's whatsup these days yknow?

Quote by MinterMan22
real talks though, yes and no. there's a bunch of kids born with shitty conditions leaving their immune systems all ****ed up so they can't get vaccinated anyway and it would be pretty dumb to force that on them but at the same time it's for these kids that everyone else should be vaccinated to ensure they don't die from something entirely preventable yknow? with this new measles outbreak thing going on some parents literally can't send their kids to school because some next kid (most likely rocking a bowl haircut and old navy shorts) has a parent who won't vaccinate their kid and it's p sad but that's whatsup these days yknow?

Quote by MinterMan22
it's all about the mumps these days

my mumps my mumps my lovely lady lumps
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
The only forcing government should do is the forcing of itself out of our lives.

Also, nature/nurture tells me keeping the spawn of dumb parents alive is bad for our environment
Quote by bradulator
Yes.

Is this effective when we have millions of people pouring into our country with zero documentation?
Quote by Wormholes

Disability does not come from within, but is imposed upon the individual by small minded individuals like yourself. Fuller lives than yours are lived everyday by disabled people.

Of course you're being sarcastic, but whatever point you are trying to make is probably just as dumb.

Quote by Fat Lard
The only forcing government should do is the forcing of itself out of our lives.

Also, nature/nurture tells me keeping the spawn of dumb parents alive is bad for our environment

those unvaccinated kids can get vaccinated kids killed, and babies die before they're vaccinated if they're exposed to these diseases
Last edited by captaincrunk at Feb 6, 2015,
Tough call. Ideally the government would not have a say, but societal pressure and public education correctly persuades everybody.
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by captaincrunk
those unvaccinated kids can get vaccinated kids killed, and babies die before they're vaccinated if they're exposed to these diseases

Serves them right for letting their kids associate with the stupid
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
who cares?

Your ignorance bleeds through your response.

I don't care, but I definitely don't want to be anywhere near someone who is not vaccinated. Your right to not have a foreign substance inserted into your body by force should not put the rest of the population in danger of disease.
I'm really not comfortable with setting precedents for the government to mandate things like this. Like Dread, I think effective education is the way to do it, and I really, really think the politicization of the issue is going to end up making things worse. Look at climate change and evolution; how many views on those topics are influenced heavily by what their political party supports (I don't know, but I would expect that it's not that uncommon)?
Quote by megano28
Your ignorance bleeds through your response.

Cool.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by SoakTweed
I'm really not comfortable with setting precedents for the government to mandate things like this. Like Dread, I think effective education is the way to do it, and I really, really think the politicization of the issue is going to end up making things worse. Look at climate change and evolution; how many views on those topics are influenced heavily by what their political party supports (I don't know, but I would expect that it's not that uncommon)?

the problem with educating these people is that the media has created a false equivalency between genuine scientific consensus and a few people "raising concerns" about shit they don't understand
Quote by Wormholes

This my friends, is a classic case of a slippery slope fallacy.

Please take your sensationalism elsewhere.

To answer the question, undoubtedly yes. Public health and safety trump that "right". If you want to be Kantian about it, by not getting vaccinated you would be affecting someone else's right to well being, and therefore lose your "right" to not be vaccinated.
58-32 NFL Thread Pick Em.
We can give the uneducated incentive by passing out free trucker hats with every shot

Honestly, measles/etc have been around forever, and humans are fine for the most part. If you cant trust your fellow citizens to take easy precautions, move to a less ignorant place obv.

Heart disease/obesity/cancer kills more, yet the govt has no problem not protecting us by banning all soft drinks/tobacco/subsidies to make high fructose corn syrup/etc
Da.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Quote by captaincrunk
the problem with educating these people is that the media has created a false equivalency between genuine scientific consensus and a few people "raising concerns" about shit they don't understand

Agreed, but I'd be more comfortable with mandating that any organization that produces "News" put out factual information than legislating my healthcare decisions.
Quote by captaincrunk

Also, the media began by portraying Andrew Wakefield as some kind of crusading whistleblower, because it made for a good story.

Then, when he was conclusively proven to be an utter ****, they turned on him and assumed no responsibility for their own role in promoting and supporting him.

Quote by SoakTweed
Agreed, but I'd be more comfortable with mandating that any organization that produces "News" put out factual information than legislating my healthcare decisions.

Vaccination is a public health issue, not so much a concern for individuals.

lrn2herdimmunity
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by TSmitty6
This my friends, is a classic case of a slippery slope fallacy.

Please take your sensationalism elsewhere.

To answer the question, undoubtedly yes. Public health and safety trump that "right". If you want to be Kantian about it, by not getting vaccinated you would be affecting someone else's right to well being, and therefore lose your "right" to not be vaccinated.

By not getting vaccinated you have the potential to violate someone's right to well being. By mandating vaccination you are definitely losing the right to make your own healthcare decisions, or in this case, the right to choose for your child. The difference is subtle but I think it's important to recognize.
Page 1 of 5