Just got my guitar back from a month long pickup installation of the nazgul and sentient pickups. I notice they sound a bit flat.. Now, I'm not sure maybe I need to adjust my settings on my rig and pedal, but its like there's no depth to it if you know what I mean by that.

Palm mutes dont even make a sound really, distortion doesn't really sound like distortion, Its just a but strange and I'm not sure where to go from here. Its also very hard to explain so I apologize for not enough detail. Was hoping someone out there could help me out or give me some advise.
Who the hell takes a month to install pickups? That is literally a 30 min job at most.

look at the wiring and make sure the red and white wires of each pickup are connected.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Month long? Who the hell installed them? Should have taken a few minutes. If it took a month then I would doubt the person knew what they were doing and could have screwed up the wiring
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
No, the guy is very good at that type of stuff. He's a teacher, repairman, technician, so he knows his stuff. The way his schedule is leaves him with very little time to work on guitars, he teaches 15 hours a day, 7 days a week and he puts his students repairs first before others.

But he did say he added gold shielding on the back plate so I think maybe that could be part of the issue, and he also had to make the pickups a little further from the strings because they kept pulling them out of tune, so that may be an issue as well. Still not quite sure yet, but wiring, soldering, and everything else looks spot on, better than what the guitar originally had.
I think I might try to raise the pickups a little bit first and see if that does anything for the sound. They're about level with the pickup plates, and that's a lot lower than what the old stocks were
Yeah, raise your pickups some. How far away are they right now?

Sounds like he maybe a decent teacher, but not a tech.

like I said check the wiring also
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
They're about half an inch or more away or so. I'll have to check it out here shortly to make sure but they're certainly the lowest I've ever seen a pickup.
If he has such little time that a 15 min job takes a month to finish, he should only take in repairs when he could do them. And your issue sounds like a wiring or installation problem, so I would have to disagree with him "knowing his stuff". If you noticed these issues, why didn't he? I would take it back to him and make him fix it. Not a month from now, right in front of you or give you every penny back.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by scottbarrett4

But he did say he added gold shielding on the back plate so I think maybe that could be part of the issue,

Not likely

Quote by scottbarrett4

and he also had to make the pickups a little further from the strings because they kept pulling them out of tune, so that may be an issue as well.

That's some serious magnetry, but I've seen those older ceramic magnet pickups do that, affecting intonation and sustain quite a bit. When your guitar's native sustain disappears, it's often the result of someone raising the pickups too far.
I raised the pickups slightly, and there is definitely more sound there. I think they were only going out of tune because they were a fresh pair of strings. So I'm just gonna raise them up some more and see how that is.
Also, wiring looks great. I compared it to some diagrams and everything seems to be connected properly. I'm thinking maybe it was just the pickups being so low, he did say if there were any problems just call him back up and he'll take care of it, but if its something I could fix myself I'd rather do that then wait another month.
Quote by scottbarrett4
Also, wiring looks great. I compared it to some diagrams and everything seems to be connected properly. I'm thinking maybe it was just the pickups being so low, he did say if there were any problems just call him back up and he'll take care of it, but if its something I could fix myself I'd rather do that then wait another month.

Sounds like you got it figured out then
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate