Demanding unconditional surrender, though extending the war, was the right thing to do as it was a necessary step to eradicating fascism in europe, especially. Any less leaves some opportunity for it to rise again in Germany as it had now twice in a generation.

Though of course it lived on in Russia for some time, if we consider the time from 1914-1989 as one extended war, without complete eradication of Nazi Germany it is thinkable that fascism would not have been discredited and destroyed in Europe.

No?
Who cares that was a thousand years ago.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Broheim, I made a history thread for shit like this. Is it not good enough for you? Is that it?
I think it'd probably just been better to not unconditionally fk Germany beforehand. As in, dont start shit and there wont be no shit
Quote by sact611

(...)

Any less leaves some opportunity for it to rise again in Germany as it had now twice in a generation.

(...)

No?

wait, facism rose twice in Germany in one generation?
Quote by Fat Lard
I think it'd probably just been better to not unconditionally fk Germany beforehand. As in, dont start shit and there wont be no shit

Yea, the Weimar republic might not have gone tits up without the hyper-inflation.
Quote by sact611
as it was a necessary step to eradicating fascism in europe, especially.

lol

Quote by sact611
Any less leaves some opportunity for it to rise again in Germany as it had now twice in a generation.

lol
Quote by sact611
Though of course it lived on in Russia for some time,

lol

Quote by sact611
if we consider the time from 1914-1989 as one extended war,

lol
Quote by sact611
without complete eradication of Nazi Germany it is thinkable that fascism would not have been discredited and destroyed in Europe.

No?

10/10 great thread

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Quote by ErikLensherr
Who cares that was a thousand years ago.

10,000 at least. And The Emprah(Franklin Delano Roosevelt) is still kept alive on the Golden Throne.
Quote by Fat Lard

You guys and your synonyms for dicks

Yea, forcing Germany to change their name to one that means "we all have tiny willies" wasn't one of the more mature clauses in the Treaty of Versaille.
Quote by Fat Lard
Shoulda gone with Deoucheland

In hindsight, maybe Wehavenothingagainstjewslandia might have been better.
Quote by vocoderboy
is this the grim dark?

can we all be trans-human super warriors now?

No. There are quite literally millions of unmodified humans armed with flashlights and armoured in t-shirts for every 7-foot tall, 3 hearted, 3 lunged killing machine carrying a automatic armour-piercing rocket launcher.
Quote by Fat Lard

I can never tell whether you're serious or not because either way you sound incredibly unintelligent
¯\_()_/¯
Well demanding unconditional surrender meant that Germany had to fight to the "bitter end." This meant a lot more death and destruction than if they had simply surrendered earlier.

I don't understand why you say that fascism existed in Russia? They were communist between 1917 and 1991.

ron666
Quote by ron666
Well demanding unconditional surrender meant that Germany had to fight to the "bitter end." This meant a lot more death and destruction than if they had simply surrendered earlier.

I don't understand why you say that fascism existed in Russia? They were communist between 1917 and 1991.

ron666

I could call myself a caring and thoughtful person, but I'd still be an asshole. Just because they claimed to be communist didn't stop them from being a fascist dictatorship under Stalin.
Quote by CaptainCanti
I can never tell whether you're serious or not because either way you sound incredibly unintelligent

lol Kid,

I would slay you at any standardized test, any day of the week (except bullshit like anime trivia or w/e)
Quote by Fat Lard
lol Kid,

I would slay you at any standardized test, any day of the week (except bullshit like anime trivia or w/e)

Pastafarian96 is now taking bets on the Fat Lard/CaptainCanti 'duel'
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Quote by slapsymcdougal
I could call myself a caring and thoughtful person, but I'd still be an asshole. Just because they claimed to be communist didn't stop them from being a fascist dictatorship under Stalin.

It was a dictatorship for sure but not a fascist one. Or one without the support of its people for that matter.

Either way, I'm pretty sure this is a joke thread so we shouldn't really be taking the OP seriously.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
Quote by JamSessionFreak
It was a dictatorship for sure but not a fascist one. Or one without the support of its people for that matter.

Either way, I'm pretty sure this is a joke thread so we shouldn't really be taking the OP seriously.

It certainly shared a large number of characteristics with fascism. The Russian nationalism(see the Great Patriotic War, the deportations on ethnic grounds); the totalitarianism(such as the single-party state, the repression of opposing ideologies); the use of political violence...
So while it may not tick ALL the fascist boxes, it does tick a hell of a lot of them.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
It certainly shared a large number of characteristics with fascism. The Russian nationalism(see the Great Patriotic War, the deportations on ethnic grounds); the totalitarianism(such as the single-party state, the repression of opposing ideologies); the use of political violence...
So while it may not tick ALL the fascist boxes, it does tick a hell of a lot of them.

Huh, checked Wiki and it turns out the general definition of fascism is a bit different to the one we use over here, which is mostly based on the Italian and German versions that affected these parts most. I was trying to argue that Stalinism for the most part didn't include the notion of a pure Soviet nation under one religion, clearing the lands of lesser people to finally regain their god-given glory.

It was pretty fascist according to the official definition though, I agree.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
Quote by slapsymcdougal

Quite true. Both fascism and communism shared similarities in that they were both dictatorships. This meant that both were extremely repressive and used violence to achieve their ends such as mass deportations and involuntary imprisonment in camps.

Both were one party systems, but the key difference is that in fascism, the Nazi Party was in control in Germany; while in the Soviet Union, it was the Communist Party.

Another difference is that capitalism was supreme in a fascist regime, meaning slave labour to reduce costs for capitalist production. But in communism, all the factors of production were state controlled. Look at Stalin's collectivization of the kulaks, which had disastrous effects on the agricultural sector.

So in conclusion, both were similar in their extremist methods of control over their populations, but they differed in who the controlling party was and what economic system was supreme.

ron666