Hey I was just wondering if it's possible to rig old equipment such as old digital alarm clocks, corded phones, and that type of stuff into an amp to create sounds. If so can anyone let know ways of doing so? I know you can use transistor radios and stuff like that in music but I'm just wondering if anyone knew of a way to take it a step further into using non instruments as instruments.

(NOTE: I'm not looking to actually be able to "play" the equipment like you'd play an actual instrument but rather in a more abstract, experimental way.)

Thanks dudes!
Quote by judsonkolk
Hey I was just wondering if it's possible to rig old equipment such as old digital alarm clocks, corded phones, and that type of stuff into an amp to create sounds. If so can anyone let know ways of doing so?
There's a ton of possible ways of doing so, but each requires some electronics knowledge and some time spend on modifying the equipment you want to use.

Either you ask a specific question, or we're shooting in the dark here.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
What you need is a sampler. They come in lots of styles and sizes. It can be as simple as hooking a cheap MIDI trigger pad up to a laptop or a big rig of keyboards. You know those big plastic boxes covered with square buttons advertised as “COMPATIBLE WITH ABLETON” in gear catalogs? That’s a trigger pad. Record samples into your sampler or software and bash them as needed. You can also use them with a sequencer (often built into MIDI pads) to trigger just like a drum machine.
Next time somebody calls your cell phone hold it up to your guitar pickup and listen through your amp.
Google "circuit bending" I'm sure you could do wacky stuff with an alarm clock
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by jpnyc
What you need is a sampler. They come in lots of styles and sizes. It can be as simple as hooking a cheap MIDI trigger pad up to a laptop or a big rig of keyboards. You know those big plastic boxes covered with square buttons advertised as “COMPATIBLE WITH ABLETON” in gear catalogs? That’s a trigger pad. Record samples into your sampler or software and bash them as needed. You can also use them with a sequencer (often built into MIDI pads) to trigger just like a drum machine.

haha that's funny I was literally just recently thinking that! I've been considering looking into buying a sampler! Thanks for the advice dude! I'll look into it more
This guy is pretty deep into experimental "junkyard instrument" sounds. Maybe this will spark some ideas.

https://soundcloud.com/mikenobody
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
This site may be of some interest to you:
http://experimentalistsanonymous.com/board/
Last edited by CodeMonk at Feb 7, 2015,