So I recently found a great deal on a Seymour Duncan soundhole pickup. I already placed the order because I knew it would sell out. But, I don't have the money for an acoustic amp right now. So I was looking for a temporary alternative until I can save up some money for an amp. I have a digitech effects pedal which I was planning on plugging my guitar into. The only thing I have speaker wise would be a set of computer speakers with a 3.5 (or 1/8) jack. I was thinking I could just plug the aux chord into the headphone port on the effects pedal and do it that way. But then I saw a 1/8 to 1/4 adapter and thought it might be better to use that and plug into the line out on the effects pedal. What are your guys suggestions? Still pretty new to this side of guitar. Don't need perfect sound quality. Just something that will suffice until I get an amp. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks
Last edited by rmcguinn at Feb 6, 2015,
umm... it's an acoustic right? so i dunno play it acoustically. not sure what you are trying to do.
Just plug the speakers into the output of the pedal. Im guessing its a multieffects pedal. Or use phones out. Or line out. Actually anything will work.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Alright so either will work just the same, thanks. Basically to play around with the effects until I can get an acoustic amp. I love playing acoustically but it would be nice having a different sound. Was the title not straight forward enough? Just wanting to know the best way to run an effects pedal through a pair of computer speakers as opposed to an amp.
Last edited by rmcguinn at Feb 6, 2015,
An effects unit will not power a speaker. It has to go through an amp first, it sends a line signal, which is the same signal the guitar sends. With or without effects, you'll need an amp of some kind. If the effects unit has a headphone out, that might work, otherwise the line signal any effects unit, stompbox or multi, won't be enough by itself, it has to be plugged into an amp.

Look around, a lot of pawn shops have pretty decent prices on small practice amps, and sometimes they might haggle a little. I've seen them in yard sales and resale shops too.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Assuming your computer speakers are powered (which most are) it will work fine.

Guitar> Digital Multi Effects instrument input> DME line out> powered speakers line input.

"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Cajundaddy
Assuming your computer speakers are powered (which most are) it will work fine.

Guitar> Digital Multi Effects instrument input> DME line out> powered speakers line input.

Yes, thank you that's what I was thinking. The Soundhole pickup is supposed to be here tomorrow so I'll let ya know how it sounds. As for the other guy saying to buy a practice amp, I really don't want to do that. I'd rather save up more and get like atleast a $200 or so 30 watt amp.