Hi everybody,

Here's the deal. So I've been playing guitar off and on for 12 years, I have a great jazz and music theory background, but it was mostly for trombone, majoring in jazz performance in college. So I have all the music theory and improvisational skills, I just sometimes have trouble translating it into my guitar playing.

What it mostly comes down to is hand technique, both right hand picking and left hand fingering. I know what to play, but it ends up coming out sloppy sounding.

One of the biggest issues I have is hitting too many strings / not muting the steins I don't want to hear.

Another issue in facing is when Im playing the B and high E strings.
I have fat fingers, so when I'm trying to play both strings I end up accidentally muting the E string.

That and strumming. When I play Little Wing for example in the parts where Jimi plays multiple strings I can't get the muted stein so sound good on the way o the actual notes I want to play. Does that make sense?

I also play bass so maybe I'm just havin a bad transition from bass where I have plenty of room in between strings?

Any tips would be much appreciated.

I mostly play blues and rock.

I play a MIM single coil strat.
Only one thing I can tell you . Remember the 3 Ps...

Practice

Practice

Practice

Everything you mention is just a matter of lots of practice. I have skinny fingers and had a rough time getting each note clear without muffling anything when I was a kid. Still happens at times...With 54 years of practice behind me...

I practiced in total darkness for 2 years. Starting with easy songs I already knew I could play without missing a note, working up to the toughest songs I knew of and new ones I wanted to learn, and I learned a few from scratch in the dark.

When you have to depend on your ears and muscle memory, it takes time but you will improve. Even if you don't practice in the dark, practice itself will get you there. Trombone was the one thing that gave me trouble learning in high school, everything else was just a matter of picking it up and concentrating on it for a while. Trombone gave me fits...I eventually got to the point I could play a couple of scales, and not well...learned everything else in the bandroom. All a matter of practice.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Yes, Paleo Pete,

I know the key to being good at anything is practice. But my trombone teacher always had a saying. "Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect." Which means two things: one: if you're practicing for a show or something and you are half assing it every time but say "Oh I know how To do it right. Come performance time it will be great," most likely it won't. You will probably sound exactly as you did in practice.
The second meaning is that if you practice something incorrectly you will be really good at playing it incorrectly.

I'm self taught on guitar, so I'm always afraid that I'm teaching myself bad habits. I'd like to learn the right way to do things.
Recommend getting a guitar teacher,he will get rid of the bad habit and help you improve your playing.
🍗🎹🎶🎼🎧🎤🎮👾🎸🎨🎷⚽️🎱🏁🎺🎻🍮🍰🍪📱👻🐔🐣🐥🐤🐽🐷💀👽💩💸🚽👻
Last edited by Guitar137335 at Feb 7, 2015,
A practice with separed hands. Exercices for right hand only, then left hand only and finally synchronisation between them. You dont need to put a lot of time on each hand; 10 min each a day is going to help a lot.