Hey guys, obviously a big no no is to not plug a bass into a guitar amp, because of the speakers.

Is it possible to plug in a guitar amp and run a bass into it (Safely) IF it's going into a bass cab? My guitarists are hounding me to by a bass amp and figured I'd ask about this before spending money.

Many thanks guys
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Yeah, no damage will ensue.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
There's this, however. In order for a speaker to produce a note an octave down at the same volume as the original note, the speaker needs to move four TIMES as much air. Assuming a similar level of efficiency, you need four times the power to do this.

Very few guitar amps are set up to provide enough power to handle bass.
Yeah true but I've done a lot of gigs with a 60W SS bass amp and it worked fine. Frequency response is going to be his biggest enemy, not power.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
As long as you run it through a bass cabinet, bass guitar won't hurt a guitar amp.

As Cathbard said, power is not the biggest issue, frequency response is. The original Fender Bassman was 50 watts. And used by hundreds of bass players at that time. Typically you want a bass amp with twice the wattage of the guitar amp, mainly so you have lots of headroom. The best bass sound is usually clean, so you don't want to push the amp into its normal distortion range. So if you play through a 150 watt amp, you can keep the overall power level down and keep the sound clean. That said, you can make it with a 50 or 60 watt tube amp too. Most modern guitar amps and probably a lot of vintage ones will handle the bass frequencies, how many guitar players have you seen dive bomb the tremolo arm till the strings are sagging? And the amp still reproduces those frequencies. That's well into bass territory. Hell, my Champ will do it...I wouldn't plug a bass into it, but it will take everything my tremolo bar will do. With an 8 inch speaker.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Quote by Ippon
I've used the Orange Thunderverb 200 through an EV 115 cab, very nice, and worked well for most Bar/Bat Mitzvahs.

Off topic, but Ippon that's probably why I thought there was an Orange head that could do both. I feel silly now

Thanks guys, just was wanting to know if it was possible for rehersals, untill I get a bass amp.

Looks like I'm gonna be having fun experimenting.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
It’s fine. Just don’t crank the volume and don’t play slap. But don’t be surprised if it sounds like shit.
Quote by jpnyc
It’s fine. Just don’t crank the volume and don’t play slap. But don’t be surprised if it sounds like shit.

Why would playing slap be bad if I'm going through a Bass cab?
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Depending on the guitar amp (into a bass cabinet), it might not give you the right EQ and response for slap bass playing. You could do it, but it might be missing a lot of the traditional slap "character."

I know of only one amplifier head currently made that is advertised as being both a guitar and a bass amplifier head: the Verellen Meatsmoke:

http://www.verellenamplifiers.com/products.html

I don't know if it delivers on this promise, but a number of bassists do like the thing.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley