I'm getting a Peavey 6505 combo soon, and I've been using a crappy Fender Mustang modeling amp up until now. Thus, I have no idea how to get a tone of any sort. So could someone recommend some good setting that would work one a 6505 combo for:

a Metallica-ish thrash,
a hard rock tone probably just for steel panther riffs,
a more generic heavy/death metal tone, for playing Death stuff. I would just mess around and try to figure it out, but I'd rather not do that in the store while trying it out for like 3+ hours.
Thanks.
PS.: I'm terribly sorry if this is in the wrong section.
exact settings kinda depends on if it has the stock sheffield speakers in it...i use v30/g12t75 in mine(in everything)....but FWIW when i play metallica stuff i use the rhythm channel instead of the lead because it's less brutal...i think once you get it and spend a little time dialing it in you'll be very pleased...the "generic heavy/death metal"tone is real easy to get dialed in on lead channel and you'll be suprized on how much gain you won't need(example 3-5 is plenty on lead channel)....hope this helps....lets us know after ya get it and what your thoughts are
Randall RM100(Recto/KH-2/XTC)
Peavey 5150 212
Peavey 6505+112(head)
Peavey VTM 120
Peavey Windsor
Crate GX-130C
Randall RG100ES
Randall RH300G3
Randall RX120RH
POD HD500
set everything at noon and turn the knobs and see what you like. you will find a good tone on your own and be happy. plus everybody plays differently from fretting to palm muting, have different guitars, pedals,etc. you can do it on your own.

the only thing i will say is generally to never drop your mids below half.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I have a 5150 combo. You will not have a problem finding that type of sound on this amp. An EQ and a noise gate in the loop and an overdrive in front is how I like mine. If you turn the mid down to 9 o'clock with the high and low at 12 or 1 you should be in the metal ballpark.

This is different than a modeling amp, I'm sure you know. It comes alive when it's turned up, especially after it's warmed up for a while. It sounds good at low volume too.

If you are buying it from a store, you could always return it if you get it home and don't like it, but I doubt you will. It's a tone monster and they are built like they will last forever.
I have explained this to you twice in your other threads -- why do you keep asking the same question?

Basically, to get a great metal tone out of a 6505/5150, you simply turn it ON and start playing...:facepalm

But seriously, they are among the easiest amps to dial-in for that sort of tone. Go try one already.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Last edited by KailM at Feb 7, 2015,
For thrash use the crunch with some light boost with mids reduced. For hard rock boost the mids and that's it IMO. Maybe remove the lows, since in hard rock the guitars aren't sa basy sounding as in thrash.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
Quote by KailM
I have explained this to you twice in your other threads -- why do you keep asking the same question?

Basically, to get a great metal tone out of a 6505/5150, you simply turn it ON and start playing...:facepalm

But seriously, they are among the easiest amps to dial-in for that sort of tone. Go try one already.

you won't have a problem and should just experiment whe you get the amp. that is how you learn
Quote by KailM

I know this is a bit of a late answer but I do apologize for asking the same question several times, but what I meant to ask in this thread was pretty much "What knobs do i turn?"

As I stated before, I've never had to dial in my own sound on an amp, so I just wanted to know what to turn to actually get a distorted sound.
I do now realize that there are probably a billion thorough and well written threads and articles on this subject and that opening this thread was completely unnecessary. Sorry.
Last edited by Cheeseshark at Feb 11, 2015,